Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I've Lost My Best Friend To Cancer

Kat_

I have an excellent and extensive support system, but it's still not filling the void left behind when I lost my Bear to liver cancer. My other baby boy Elvis is also suffering from grief. I'm giving him so much extra attention and love and talking to him and trying to support him but he's so sad and misses his big brother so much. Bear was taken from us too soon, he was only 6 years old. Bear came into my life after a tragic, life altering event that could have ruined my life. He was a rescue and I got him 2 weeks after such event. He became my therapy puppy, my child, my best friend. Now he's gone and I have this massive hole in my soul and void in my life and in the air around me. I really don't know how I'm going to get through this.

This is my Bear just before I found out he was ill

post-15466-13288480687032_thumb.jpg

Dear Kat

I am so so sorry about your Bear. I know how difficult it is to lose a furbaby. They are family and friend and so much more all rolled into one. He was there when you needed him most and that creates an even deeper bond. I am sorry. I understand how your other dog is grieving. My dog grieved after my husband died last year by acting out, destroying stuff by eating things he had not chewed since he was just a few months old.

You came to the right place. We all have lost someone here and we assist each other.

Peace,

Mary

Elvis hasn't acted out, he's just so lost without Bear. Bear was 3 when I brought Elvis home, Elvis was 5.5 weeks old. Elvis had always followed Bear around and looked up to him and loved him so much. I am going to pick up Bear's ashes tomorrow, maybe when I bring him home Elvis will feel a little less lost. And I think I will too.

Kat,

He is beautiful isn't he? I am very sorry that you are going thru this. I went thru this all exactly a year ago and it is still painful. My little girl went thru liver failure after a month of high hopes of her recovery. I think of her still everyday. Your pain is very evident. You will get thru this that I promise you. You will never forget Bear but everyday it seems to get a little easier to deal with. I have my bad days still but I have my other 2 dogs that help me. I am not sure if you are a believer but I am very hopeful that God will have my little girl waiting for me when I enter His Kingdom. It provides some very needed solace. When you pick up your baby's ashes you are going to have a rough time. I just planned on allowing myself a day of being sad...you are allowed.

Take care!

Kat,

I am so sorry to hear about Bear. I know how difficult it is to lose a fur baby to cancer as I lost one several years ago to a cancerous tumor in the heart. Now one of my other doggies has a tumor in his liver and I've already started grieving in anticipation of losing him. I know sometimes there are no words to ease the pain experienced. Hold on to his memory and the special times you had together. I think you can help Elvis through his grief by giving him extra special attention and affection, as he also accustoms himself to not having your beautiful Bear around. I pray that God strengthens and comforts you through these times.

Diana

Kat,

Your Bear is beautiful, I can understand how you and Elvis feel. He's the same color as my dog (1/2 Golden Retriever, 1/2 Siberian Husky). I know you'll miss him and I hope you and Elvis can find solace with each other.

(((hugs)))

Kay

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kat,

I wanted to check on how you were doing? I know with my theray dog, whe was taken by cancer 2 years after I got her and trained her. I was in shock because we were going to do suck great things together! I ended up making a film about her that I placed on www.youtube.com/cjanderson , It makes me feel good thinking about how many lives she had touched even after getting the cancer. for me the hole never does away but I learn to keep my attention on other dogs and tasts I do for the living, knowing she is waiting for me on the rainbow bridge. I remind my self how painful the cancer was for her at the end and give thanks that she went quickly, and cry for her not being by my side. Keep breathing! I would love to hear how she came into your life!

Hugs! CJ

Dear Kat --- I am so sorry to hear of your tremendous loss of Bear. We, too, lost our beloved William this past Friday - also at about 6 years of age. SO YOUNG -- TOO YOUNG. We do not know cause of his suffering but find comfort knowing he is now out of pain.

Was Bear a large doggie? William was a Newfie/Golden mix ... 135 lbs. Sadly, these big guys don't live as long as their smaller counterparts.

We thoroughly understand your feelings of grief, loss, the huge void in your heart .... but please know you did the very best you could and your beloved Bear knows this. He will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge.

We embrace you in your sorrow.