Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hearing Aids

STARKISS

Hi All, I am just so depressed right now I just found out that i have to get hearing aids... I have hearing loss bad enough to get them... My dad had to have them and just the thought of myself getting them i am so upset... Getting them has memories for me that I do not want to remember especially when they deal with my dad...SO sad right now... Shelley

Dear Shelley

I am sorry you have to deal with the memories attached to hearing aids and the hassle of obtaining them and using them. Our pain can be tripped off by so many things...and this is one of those for you. I am sorry.

An aside....about hearing aids...I am just beginning the process of obtaining some and have done some investigation. Some friends of mine have used Costco as their dispenser and have been very pleased with their choice. I have priced them at the hospital where I was tested twice in the past four years. I was then tested at Costco with identical results. The prices at Costco and the features you get surpass the hospital and you have 90 days to try them instead of the 30 days law requires. In any case they are pricey and I do not look forward to using them but in hopes they will help my hearing in restaurants and noisy places or with soft spoken people which is where I have trouble hearing.

Again I am sorry this has tripped off pain for you....

Mary

Oh my dear Shelley (and Mary, too) ~ One more thing we have in common. About four years ago I learned that I too needed hearing aids, and at first I was shocked and saddened at the news. I don't have the same negative associations with hearing aids that you may have, Shelley, but still it was extremely difficult for me to think of myself as hearing impaired and in need of something as drastic as hearing aids. Yet another loss, I thought to myself. I have since learned, with the aid of some marvelous modern technology, to be very grateful that I live in a time when others have invented ways for me to compensate for that loss. Today I see it as no different from the fact that I need glasses so I can read. What would I do if I lived in a time when we did not have such amazing things as eye glasses and hearing aids? Once again, dear Shelley, I hope it brings you comfort to learn that, even with this most recent unwanted burden that's been placed upon your shoulders, you are not alone . . .

As I have researched these hearing aids, I have learned that one option comes with bluetooth operation with a remote one can carry in a pocket or purse that regulates where the sounds come from, etc. No more squeals like my mom had. Makes it easier to hear in noisy places....am not fully informed of what is out there yet and am moving slowly so I get the best for the best money...wherever I get them. I do see it as another loss but yes, no different than the glasses I have worn since I was 12 years old. Like glasses, they come in every color and design one can imagine.

Shelley, as you deal with the pain this brings up....you will find it intriguing to see what technology has done for our ears. Give yourself some time to get through some of the pain before you make your purchase...if that feels right.

Mary

Hi Marty and Mary,

Thanks for your replies, I have gone ahead as I do trust my audiologist and if she thinks hearing aids would help me than so be it... She is with Hearing Solutions and they have a promotion on right now and it is you buy one and you get one for half price so I think it is going to cost me around 3100 dollars and i am doing it in 12 months payments and it worked out to be 256 dollars a month for one year... Thanks for caring shelley

Shelley, you never need to explain why you are posting something. A simple coffee mug can cause me to have strong feelings about Bill...a mug we bought in England at a very significant time....it can be hearing aids, coffee mugs or whatever that can bring up pain and yes, nightmares and flashbacks. I think we all understand that. I wish had written down all the things that sent me to tears and sadness over the past two years....it still happens often. I think very little if anything is weird when it comes to grief....

Be peaceful. did you get your hearing aids and if so...how are they for you. That lies ahead of me one of these days. Everything takes me longer to get to now....

Mary

Is all the "freaked out" about your dad or is there something beyond that?

Hi Mary, It is all about my dad who used to abuse me and the flashbacks and night mares are about him too... Shelley

I suspected this was about abuse and I am so very sorry that you had a father who abused you. Of course it is trauma and can be tripped off in situations like this. Is there someone who can go with you to get them, someone who understands and can you allow yourself to break them in slowly...like an hour a day for a while. I assume you have some some therapy around the abuse issues. Is that therapist still available to you. Nightmares and flashbacks can't be just ignored. Mary

Shelley, dear, I just received this in my email today, and thought of you immediately. I'm sharing it with you in hopes that it may speak to you in a helpful way:

Daily Om, February 22, 2012

Stronger than You Know

Getting Ourselves Worked Up

Often we get anxiety for no reason as we are almost always stronger and more capable than we believe ourselves to be.

Our capacity to cope successfully with life's challenges far outstrips our capacity to feel nervousness. Yet in the weeks, days, and hours leading up to an event that we believe will test our limits, we can become nervous. Read on here: http://www.dailyom.com/articles/2012/32093.html

Shelley

Thinking of you as you go for your hearing aids on Friday. I know this is tough for you and I also suspect you will do just fine. Now I need to get busy and get mine.

Peace and strength

Mary

Hi All,

I did not get the hearing aids on Friday, It was because I did not have postdated checks so now I have to wait till Tuesday... The audiologist did the fitting and told me how to do things with them so that I knew all about them so when I did get them I would know what to do... It was weird but after wearing them a short time I seemed to get used to them ... It was extremely hard to put them on but taking them off was easier.. Shelley

Good for you. I am sure it will become habit in time...like putting on a pair of glasses. What matters is that you did it, found it easier than you thought it would be. Good for you.

Mary