Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Gwen, I got movers coming on the 16th.......they are taking all the furniture , boxes, and whatever including outdoor stuff......I will have one chair and small TV left behind(and cleaning stuff). I will meet the movers on the 18th in new place and return on the 21st(to old place) for clean up etc plus final legal stuff.....and final round of Golf......as I said, will miss this place, lots of good memories....

• Like 1

Karen, Thank you and thank you for the laugh. I got a mental image of you protecting your lawn ornaments...

Speaking of barking mad dogs....mine couldn't be more insane when the kids come to the door. I have a combination door, so I remove the top part, allowing me to reach out with the candy while the door is closed. My pup is barking all the while in a scary Halloween way. They don't get the treats without the tricks...😄

• Like 1

Gwen, I really know how you feel about the holidays in general. I can muster the spirit for Halloween because it's ingrained and it's a time to contemplate all things unknown about the other side, which will make me feel Iver's presence all the more.  

I wish I could say I'd be embracing Thanksgiving and Christmas but I know they'll feel mighty empty . 

I trick myself into not feeling devasted by living in the moment, as I refer to it.

Whether I am watching something good on TV, reading a good book, enjoying a good dinner, I immerse myself in the contentment if not enjoyment of the moment. It really helps me. 🙂

• Like 2

Kevin,

It's happening, you're really moving!  Does it feel real to you yet?  I know you've been busy working on it so in a sense it must, but it also must feel a little surreal too.  Good luck to you, we want picture of your new place when you've had a chance to get settled!

I have loved Canada since Margaret Craven's book and movie "I Heard an Owl Call My Name" and have wished to go to the part where I could see the northern lights.  Like in other places though, traveling will never be in my plans again.  Those were mine and Billy's plans.  But, I travel good in a 40-50 mile radius.  I am reading a series of books now that make me want to go to an island in the Baltic Sea I have never heard of called Gotland.  

Kevin, send us pictures so we can travel vicariously through your move.  Good luck, and I hope the move helps your grief as much as it helped mine.  It does not always work that way for people because we are all different.  I cannot stand to go back to the beautiful country I left because it is no longer beautiful.  Strange, it took four eyes to really enjoy it.  

Anyhow, it sounds like an adventure, although I know it is arduous.    

3 hours ago, Marg M said:

I cannot stand to go back to the beautiful country I left because it is no longer beautiful.  Strange, it took four eyes to really enjoy it.  

Oh, how I can relate to that within my little world here.  We lived in San Francisco, Phoenix and Omaha for short times.  (Omaha was not pretty).   Just traversing in my zone here, there are so many changes.  Some sad as they were places that had been here when we moved h ere.  To have them gone always jogs my memories of time there.   The out of sight, out of mind things does not apply at all.  Some fun looking new places have come in but without him to explore them,  I just meander like a zombie.  I still get take out from certain places like Burger King (definitely not from our special restaurants) and th e bag us so light.  Half is missing.  I figure if I haven’t gotten used to that. In 4 years, it’s nit going to happen.  Pizza us really hard as we were junkies for those.  Now remainder, unheard of before, goes in the freezer for another meal for me. 

I get tired driving the same varied routes.  Must have at least 3 ways home from everywhere depending on traffic.  I see some of the winter birds arriving, the sun setting in beautiful colors, funny commercials and they are so 'nothing' alone.  I love the Subaru commercials with the dogs driving, yet they make me sad to not be able to yell.....hey Steve!  You gotta see this!

even writing this makes me sad because if he were here, I wouldn’t be.  I wouldn’t even have an iPad.  I wouldn’t have this torturous pain day after day.  I wouldn’t be crying for me now.  I’d only cry when I lost a family tie, a dog or a friend.  I’d  adjust and be able to talk about them without feeling I am dying all over again.  This and children are sure the ones that change you down to your soul.  Forever.

• Like 2

Gwen, without losing Billy I would not be here either.  I have really learned that I am blessed and it is too early for my family to grieve again.  Yesterday there was a solid blue sky and I missed Billy.  Today the whole sky is covered with clouds and I jabbered the whole time I was out in it.  Now, my favorite thing is probably something you that live in the city cannot do.  I traverse the country roads, unless I have to be there fast, then it is interstate.  I hate interstate and your big cities make our interstate look like country roads.  Keep on keeping on my friend and I sure hope you are feeling better physically.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

KayC, it is definitely real....house full of boxes and cupboards are empty( Chaos on the Floor and Garage)......All pictures etc down.......Cloths almost done....Going to work till 5 PM(need some golf) and hopefully have most of everything done.......Movers will take everything not nailed down hopefully

Is this where you are leaving, or is this part of the country you are moving to?  Where is this?  It is beautiful.

My son got his apartment down here.  He will be moving next month.  (Get this, it is right across the hall from his sister).  

I hope you enjoy your new place Kevin.  This picture is so beautiful.

That is East Coast......hard frost two weeks ago triggered beautiful colors, Wife's neck of the woods......Step Father sent it to me, now its everyone's screen saver...Movers coming in a few hours and I'm still packing....I love it..take care... 

Incredible picture, doesn't look real!  
I wonder if it's sunk in yet that you're really leaving, it would seem strange after so long there.  I can't imagine moving from here but it might happen when I'm old.  (I wonder how old I'll have to be to consider myself old?  Not like the arthritis hasn't set in!)

Just had incredible hectic three days of moving.....Everything was loaded and on the road by 5 PM on the 16th......Delivery was moved up to 3PM the next day......So I had to drive 700 miles to organize delivery.....Under estimated the amount of room the new place is, so I'm cramped a bit...Looked bigger empty...Got some legal work and clean up to do (and last week of Golf) in old place..So one last drive and its over.....and had small Birthday celebration to boot....What a relief its finally behind me....

So Kevin, I am not very smart about Canada locations (Louisiana confounds me sometimes), but are you moving away from that picture that you put up there, the autumn picture?  Seven hundred miles would take me from here to New Mexico headed west and probably out into the Atlantic headed east.  Are you going to have mountains?

I know your going to have a golf course.

Good luck with your move Kevin and I hope you are as happy as you can be.  

• Like 1

Or a cold beer or whatever makes you happy!  So glad you got the worst of it behind you.  Good luck figuring out where to put everything!  Most people downsize before the move and then some more after the move!

• Like 1

Empty rooms are so misleading.  Alwatys looks like you can put more than you think in them, especially if you’ve come from an established long time place.  Back in my early 20’s everything I owned fit in the back of a truck!  🙂

• Like 1

Picture was from Angela's hometown area(so for the confusion)....I'm living in Northern Alberta(about 650 miles North East of KayC.........It was 70 degrees yesterday and snowing 7 days ago.....I told a story similar to Gwens earlier today.......I could put all my possessions in my Car back in the late 60's..Life was so simple then....Drove back today(12 hours), I'm totally tapped out.......Cleaning next three days

• Like 1

When I moved here in 77, everything fit in the back of my dad's van, including my bed.  Now I'd have to hire a crew!

KayC , those were the days.........I'm waiting for the Dump to open, I have a "load" of stuff and some "free" stuff on the Lawn.....Two chairs in the house, TV, and one garden chair....Slept on the floor with about 6 pillows last night.........like a camping trip......

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I just got to spend the weekend with my son and granddaughter...read her many stories while my son swapped out wood stove doors, we swapped cars so he can figure out what's going on with my heat & A/C, he put in a new valve and faucet in my outdoor building, and dug a trench so the water runoff would flow again in front of my garage.  Meanwhile I cooked up a storm for them and we enjoyed watching a football game Saturday night after my granddaughter went to bed.  Altogether a good weekend and I slept nine hours last night!

Was unable to activate new cell phone but since number was ported, my old one no longer works so I'm w/o one for a while.

• Like 4