Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

I feel somewhat split in my personality. On one thread I'm in despair, and on this one I'm trying to come up with "Today's positive thing".

And there was cake.

Melina

I can relate to the split feeling. I can be having a pretty good time with someone or at an event and get in the car and sob all the way home. Or I can be smiling at lunch with someone while tears sit behind my eyes. It is part of the journey. Glad for the cake :)

Mary

• Like 1

Hi All,

I have positives happen everyday of my life. Yesterday, Greg, my friend who hand that real bad motor cycle accident, last May is doing much better. We went for a walk in the wood around the Dighton Rock state park. Then I went with him to test drive a car for Donna to look at. On the way back he, asked me if the "Pie Lady" was open. So I called and we went and he bought 2 pies, so we had a great day. Saturday is Pauline's 1 year she passed. I am at peace, I have the day planned, and my week has been good. I have been working on things for school. I have a presentation to do. I have the power point done, and will finalize my note before the end of the week. My subject is MS of course. I am the greeter at the church, Pastors Father does it, but in November he told me when he is not their he wanted me to do it for him. He needs a heart valve replaced, so I have been doing it for 2 months now, plus singing in the choir also. I sing on Sunday. Life is great for me although I miss Pauline in the flesh, she is always with me whereever I am at. I did not go to my Hospice meeting, last night, I felt Greg needed me more, and I was right.

God Bless

Dwayne

Yesterday a friend invited me over for dinner and we had a nice visit and she'd made me a couple of pairs of earrings, so that was my positive for yesterday.

Sometimes you have to look hard for that ray of light/positives even when the day is esp "negative." I was having a bad day yesterday in a variety of ways and just in a miserable mood - then my neighbor who also lost their loved one to cancer called and invited me to Ash Wednesday service. To be honest even the service itself I had a take it or leave it feel on (probably not helping is I hate crowds), but getting out of the house, not being alone, and knowing someone isn't simply thinking about me but DOES SOMETHING ABOUT IT (call, invites etc) really helped me and overall has been huge for me.

Then I had cake.

;)

Dear friends,

I finished demolition on the new bedroom yesterday. Walls to wash and prep today. Paint tomorrow. Still unbelievably warm her for late February, which meant I got a short walk in yesterday as well--and hope to do likewise today.

Peace,

Harry

I received a ray of sunshine yesterday.Its been four months since Kathy has died.She was cremated and I got a celtic cross urn jewelry that I wear on a chain that holds 1 oz of cremains.Sure makes me feel close. Well I(we)went to the cemetery and polished up my father and grandmothers headstone.Ill take the sunshine anytime I can.

Postives for the day:

I found out today that I am going to be a first time GRANDMA. It is bittersweet because my spouse would be right in the middle of this and enjoy every second of it. The pregnancy, the birth and everything in between. So, I plan on doing it for him, double excitment and double the pleasure. I am feeling very blessed.

Becky

Congratulations, Becky. What an exciting time...and yes, bittersweet....you will indeed be celebrating for two....

Mary

Becky, Congratulations from me too! I am so happy for you! I can't wait to be a grandma, but first things first, my son is getting married June 30. :)

Postives for the day:

I found out today that I am going to be a first time GRANDMA. It is bittersweet because my spouse would be right in the middle of this and enjoy ever second of it. THe pregnancy, the birth and everything in between. So, I plan on doing it for him, double excitment and double the pleasure. I am feeling very blessed.

Becky

Congrats - I'm sure he will be there enjoying it in his own way with you :)

Well, my positive for the day is that our art educator (also a friend-awesome woman) loved my painting....made suggestions (which is what we pay her to do)...suggested that I do the painting again so that nothing would happen to this one...because it is so warm...said to do the sky and every thing else to be identical but work on shadows on the dog, grass and gal....so I will start version 5....but I felt good that the whole group loved it and reminded me of my very first painting last fall...an apple....that no one would want to eat. I am the new kid on the block in this group so when my paintings go up for critique I am learning to get past my ego. The group is an awesome group of women (we call ourselves Local Color).....7 of us plus our teacher. It was nice to know she loved it. For those who missed it....here 'tis.

Peace

Mary

Sharing Pain pdf.pdf

Friends,

It's late and I have a 9 am conference call followed by painting. But the Walking with Jane Fund for NEC Research and Education went live at Dana-Farber in Boston late this afternoon.

Peace,

Harry

Congratulations Becky with the upcoming grandchild! And lots of other positive stuff here - painting, helping to cure cancer, social gatherings - barbecues, kids getting married, etc. I've probably missed a few things here.

My only positive yesterday was that I didn't cry. It's the first in a long time, so I guess that's something.

Melina

Melina, I do not think I have had one day where tears have not fallen...even a few on some days....Wednesday- well all day long. I know this IS big for you to experience and I celebrate with you.

I awoke to winter wonderland today. I might even take a picture soon. The branches of all the trees around my house are laden with a few inches of snow. The clotheslines (which I use on occasion in good weather) are covered and the world is pure white again. How I have missed snow this winter. It is not much but it is magnificent. Since my top three priorities includes nature....I have deep appreciation for this beauty. BTW the other two are people and spirituality. My maple tree that was red/orange last fall is now pure white. More snow coming this afternoon. :)

Peace

Mary

Here's my positive for todayI have slept for over five hours a night for the last three nights. I have enjoyed a glass of wine before going to bed each night. I'm not going to say my sleeping problem is solved, but I sure do feel good this morning. It's the first time I have felt rested in a very, very long time. -_-.

I love the positives...Anne, so glad you are sleeping better, I am also, and although not every one will probably agree, a glass of wine at night does seem to help me. I am also trying to make myself stay up a little later.

My positive for the day, got my hair trimmed this morning, and having a pedicure this afternoon. Makes me feel good to have someone work on these old feet! Congrats on the coming grandbaby Becky. I found out yesterday that I will be a great grandmother for the 5th time this fall! Love those little babies. Mary, we had 75 degree weather yesterday, but temps have dropped, and it is about 40 and windy, very windy today. Pretty cold, wish I had snow, I love snow. Happy about your painting, I really like it. Melina, not crying one day is a big step, you are making progress, as are we all....seems slow to us, but progress is progress. Harry, so glad you started this thread!

So good to see the positives.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I took my mom out to eat for her 90th birthday last night and a family we don't know sent dessert over to us. It really surprised me since random acts of kindness are almost unheard of anymore!

The blue for the bedroom looks great on the wall. Still have to get another coat on tonight. Jane's page has launched at Dana-Farber. Moving forward.

Peace,

Harry

I was able to get my son into a High School with a huge waiting list. I had to step out of my comfort zone and make important decisions that in the past would have been made as a couple. But I thought it through, made the decision without second guessing myself, and got it done. Thinking outside the box paid off and I can see my husband telling me, "I knew you would figure out a way." But it is still so hard.

We were supposed to get 6" of wet snow and only got one. My neighbor plows my driveway for me but only a straight shot so I usually have to shovel by one side of the garage which is a fairly large area and the stairs, etc. It's going to be 43 degrees by Sunday though so I'm not even going to do that this time.

I've been starting to sleep off and on now too, still broken and not every night, but it's a start.

Love, Gail

a few positives here...after three trips to H&R Block, my taxes are done! .. my sisters only child has his first child, born yesterday and everybody is doing well... and my snowdrops are flowering. Now this last one had me sobbing because normally I would have gotten Rich to come look at them with me but they look so cheerful

Beth