Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Yes, Steve. We are in preparation mode. Spending the day securing the house, making ice, filling tubs with water, removing movable objects from yard, lanai and patio, etc. etc. This monster affects all of Florida, and with only two major highways going north, there is no point in getting on the highway and in risking getting stuck there. Way too many other cars on the road. We are not in a flood plane, and not under any mandatory evacuation ~ so have decided to shelter in place. It looks as if the storm will begin in earnest some time tonight and continue through tomorrow. Biggest concern is wind damage and loss of power. I will keep everyone posted as I am able and as I have Internet service. Today I am busy at home with making preparations, so I won't be online as much as usual ~ but in the meantime, all I ask is that you continue to take good care of each other, and keep me in your prayers, as I keep you in mine . . . 

• Like 7

Praying, will continue!  Be safe!

• Like 2

Hello everybody, I see some familiar faces and names as I read posts. For those of you who do not know me, I am Mary, a colleague of Marty's and a former member and then moderator here. I will be covering the boards until Marty's power is back on. It could be a day or two or longer. I will check in a couple of times a day, read new posts and respond as needed.

Probably the most important thing you might want t to know about me is that I lost my beloved husband Bill in 2010 and joined these boards to gain support. It was the worst day of my life and I had no clue how to walk through it. As a therapist of many years I knew grief and loss well. I even knew many personal losses. But Bill's death was in a whole new world. With hard work and lots of support and time I am still here, still carry Bill in my heart a d soul daily, still miss him, and am creating a life for myself. You can read any of my posts if interested. In the meantime, I am here and Marty will notify me when power is on again. It appears the surge was, so far, not as damaging as anticipated but MSNBC is saying they will know more tomorrow. Let us hold each other and Marty in our hearts in these personal and global trying times.  peace in our pain, Mary

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, mfh said:

I lost my beloved husband Bill in 2010

Hello Mary, good to have you on board.  Glad Marty rode out the storm.  Wish we could take all that excess water and dump it on our burning country.  Lots of worries, lots of clean up.  Thanks for helping.  

• Like 3

Mary,

We appreciate your presence, thank you!  

• Like 1

Thank you. I so agree about the fires. Like others here, I am sure we have connections to those fires with loved ones living in the areas and I think of the wild life and growth that is  being destroyed to say nothing of the buildings including homes. Most likely. We are surely learning or can learn as a country to do what you here do daily, support and care for each other.

Edited by mfh
typos
  • Like 3

Dear ones, the storm has passed, I am safe and dry and feeling very, very grateful. No damage to home or property. My neighborhood lost power for 24 hours, and I still have no cell phone service ~ but at least I am back online. Given all the damage and turmoil throughout the state of Florida, I'm not sure if the power will stay on ~ but for now I want you all to know that I am fine. I am deeply grateful for your thoughts and prayers, and as always, so appreciative of the way you take such good care of one another. From my heart to yours, thank you 

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

It was the quietest I've seen during the hurricane, I think everyone was pretty focused on that.  I am so grateful you and your husband are safe and so is your home!

• Like 1

Blessings to you, Kay, and thank you. I am beyond grateful ~ and so sorry that everyone in Florida and beyond was not spared this devastation. As someone else posted, I wish we could take all the water and dump it on those fires out where you are. One disaster after another. But still, they do bring out the best in us, as we look to our neighbors for help, understanding and support.  

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

This is a huge "positive" for me.  I bought a new wood stove, and within a week the thermostat wasn't working right.  The factory's quality control is remiss in that they fail to tighten it down and then the shaft gets loose.  My son told me to remove the screw, pull off the knob, and reposition the shaft, then replace the knob and tension screw.  I didn't have the tool.  He mailed it to me but I couldn't get the knob off and was afraid of breaking it.  I contacted the manufacturer who told me to contact the dealer.  After repeating the story four times they said they'd come out...in nine days.  Meanwhile it is COLD here and I was using two space heaters to keep it between 65 and 70.  Yesterday I called the dealer to remind them of the service appointment since they hadn't called me.  They were awful!  Rude, nasty, interrupting, disrespectful.  (I intend to deal with that later.)  Long story short, my son called last night and said, "Well there is another way to fix it" and he walked me through it!  I now have heat, it's keeping my house 70-72 and I can cancel the rotten "service" that was supposed to come out today.  (BTW, they'd told me the "technician" doesn't know anything about these stoves).

DSCN0674.JPG

• Like 3

I thought about telling them how to fix this common problem since the quality control doesn't seem to be changing anything (I found a forum on this going back to 2011) but they'll be their own undoing.  If I tried to post on Yelp right now they'd write me off as deranged, I need to cool down first.  :o  But I am glad it's fixed and working!  

• Like 1

The problem is, I may need them at some point in the future.  My Catalytic Combustor has a ten year warranty...the manufacturer refers you back to the dealer.

Hi again. It’s been a while since I last checked in, however I have been quite busy...I am pleased to say that I completed my EMDR therapy this week. I feel so much better, it truly seems like a miracle therapy.  I gradually started to notice the gloom lifting and the  hypervigilance diminishing. The heaviness has gone, the fear, flashbacks, nightmares and intrusive thoughts have faded away. I feel like my old self again. It didn’t happen overnight, there were some tough days and nights along the way, but if anyone reading this is considering EMDR, I would say: go for it.

Thank you Kay and Marty for your support, interest, experience and the wealth of information. It was just when I needed it most.

• Like 2

I am so glad to hear it, and appreciate your coming back to tell us how it went for you!