Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

My son fixed my car, he spent hours troubleshooting!  He hooked it up to a computer and read the car's computer, pulled out the module, soutered something, reset and calibrated some stuff, it looked technical and complicated and took him a very long time, he still has to put it back together today.  So excited!  It was the defrost that wasn't working.

• Like 4

He is an exceptional son Kay, but you know that.  Years (many) ago, Billy took some apparatus apart and put new rings in (and I have no idea what I am talking about) but in 1969, we left a smoke trail all the way across Texas from New Mexico.  After that, he never touched a car again except to drive, or charge the battery.  He could do just about anything if our life depended on it, but I guarantee you, it was much easier (on him) to let the professionals handle it.  I know your proud of your son.  

• Like 1

I think the universe was being kind to me.  Yesterday my window controls malfunctioned on the drivers side.  All I could think was great!  Another repair, they seem to be abundant lately.  Today it’s working.  Could be a sign of things to come, but for now?  I’ll take the win! 

Marg, Steve wouldn’t work on cars either.  Now that so much is computerized, there’s little one can do if it isn’t basic.  Glad your son came thru, Kay.  We definitely live in a n area that requires a defroster.     

• Like 2

Good for your son, Kay! I'm glad he was able to get it figured out and fixed. Ron did all the oil changes, brake jobs, tune ups, etc. on the vehicles until his various illnesses zapped his strength. I have a good mechanic that does the repairs now, but Robert does the oil changes. From the time Robert was little, he watched his dad like a hawk and was one of those kids that wanted to take apart and reassemble stuff. When he was 16, my mother bought him an old Chevy Blazer which soon needed a new engine. He bought a Chilton Manual, read through it, and completely rebuilt the engine by himself in the carport. Ron was a "jack of all trades" and when he died, I found 3 of every tool known to man around here. Both of them are a whole lot smarter than I am when it comes to fixing things, but there's always Gorilla Glue, WD40, and duct tape.  lol

• Like 2

On the way home I stopped for gas and the door wouldn't open, well it did, but not easily.  Never had that happen before!  I tried it several times, same thing.  I called my son when I got home and he said to pull the door handle hard/fast and then push on the door, it worked!  (It opened from the outside easily).  I tried it several times, works fine now.  Weird!  I guess it helps to understand how things work, but this is a first for me!

Marg, changing the rings is a big deal, all I know is they charge a fortune to do that, you have to take a lot of stuff apart, and of course it's labor intensive.  I remember having a car with that problem (Mercury) in the early 70s.  I remember the black smoke well!  Have spotted a few cars like that since.  Billy knew what he was doing to do that, and especially if it was before computer days.

I was impressed with what Paul was doing, it looked highly technical and all way over my head.  But then that's not saying much. ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, KarenK said:

but there's always Gorilla Glue, WD40, and duct tape.

Billy never could keep me a commode seat to stay on.  This is probably too much information.  We kept our mailbox on for 10 years with gorilla glue and I put it in the screw section and my wooden seat has stayed still (even when I don't) for two years.  Love my duct tape.

1 hour ago, Marg M said:

Love my duct tape.

Marg and Karen:  I am becoming well acquainted with duct tape.  Had to make use of it when my downspout broke away from the metal "thingy" connected to the drain from roof a couple of weeks ago.  Thankfully, my son found the time to repair it correctly last weekend.  Since then, I discovered there is another possible connection problem on the other side of the house where I will attempt to duct tape - hopefully before the heavy rains become a daily activity.  Might look into purchasing some gorilla glue for some other annoying problems in the house.  My husband was probably smiling at me as I practiced my "fix it" plan.    Dee

• Like 1

Gwen, Karen, Dee..........the gorilla glue is only in the screw holes behind the seat.  The seat goes up and down as normally.  Now, gorilla glue sometimes spreads out and I do have ugly glue around the screw holes, but Lysol cleans it very nicely.  I will admit, if the seat was plastic I would have had 6-7 by now.  On the wall in front of my commode are six crosses, an angel and other stuff like that.  (Now try to get this picture out of your minds.) 👀 😎

• Like 1

Haha, you guys make me laugh!  I just duct taped my electronic zapper (mouse trap) last night, the tiny plastic pin that holds the lid on broke off, wasn't willing to spring another $35 for a new one.

• Like 2

Good catch, Gwen!  ;) 

Back from a  Canadian Thanks Giving in new Town to be........saw half the kids and met a "Special" person who sings Karaoke......Drove 700 miles yesterday , through snow first 5 hours, to be back to a pile of boxes and stuff.......Going to miss this place big time......Off to do more packing , looking at stuff I haven't seen in years......good memories

• Like 3

Hate to think of you driving in the snow(something I have NEVER done), but I'm sure you are used to it. Hope you are settled soon before winter really kicks in. Nice to see you have met a "special" person.

Kevin, RVing was our life (and family) and knew we would drive a couple of hundred miles a day, sleep over, then drive again.  (During my trip to Arkansas recently), somehow I kept my mind blank/inactive except for the road but I slept 11 hours that night.  I'm sorry your not feeling good about leaving.  We all have such mixed feelings.  I know this is not true, but I let October and Arkansas take the brunt of my anger for taking Billy away.  You are braver than I am though.  I still have no idea what is in all the boxes.  I know winter coats are in one of them.  I've not had to look for anything, not going to look for anything.  Stubborn.  Good luck with your move.  Hope it goes smoothly and you will be happy where ever your moving to.  

Wow, snow already?  We're returning to the 70s this week.  Glad you met someone special and all is going well.  Keep us posted!

Hi everyone...I think about you all.

It's Halloween month. All my life I've loved Halloween more than any holiday. I loved the spookiness, the unknowing, the possibilities.  My husband, Iver, loved my Halloween spirit, so I decorated for him. He'd want me to still love Halloween. I made 'spooky' ghost pumpkins this year. I desperately try to live in the moment. It's not too bad in the moment.

I wanted to share a photo of my pumpkins. I'm really happy with them. The reindeer are Christmas decor, but I leave them out all year and decorate them per the season.

You are in my prayers, Elizabeth

2096801504_IMG_04782018.JPG.1dfe1f80f0c23df10e55c39ac45aae2b.JPG

wow! That's really big...😊

• Like 2

Elizabeth,

So cute! How very talented you are!

In my neighborhood, you would have to protect them with a shotgun.  lol  I used to decorate for the various holidays when the kids were little, but haven't for many years. No trick or treaters anymore as it's safer for them to go the city sponsored activities in the parks. Just as well as my dogs would go crazy.

We never cared for Halloween being in a pretty Main Street.   Had our reindeer stolen once too.  Put up,signs where they were that someone was too Grinchy to buy their own.  Very few kids and like you, Karen, the dogs would have driven us nuts.  We just shut the gate across the driveway.  Some were  persistent  tho!  Came from other neighborhoods thinking we’d have better stuff,  I guess.  Thanksgiving and Christmas were the biggies for us.  Been missing that and not looking forward to my 5th alone.  Nothing worse than waking up alone and nothing to do or look forward to.  No special someone to hang out with.  All traditions meaningless.  Guess it will be looking around Walgreens and Jack in the Box, only places open.  Can’t bring myself to get take out from the places we ate at and will miss the tiny turkey Steve cooked.  For me, the song The Most Wonderful Time of the Year has changed to the most loneliest time of the year.

• Like 1

Elizabeth, I love your decorations, and what a pretty house!  

This will be my 42nd Halloween here and I've yet to get trick or treaters.  Comes from being in the country, houses too far apart for the kids' liking.  Here we have a community celebration for the kids where they can be safe and have a good time.