Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Kay, I wanted to respond to your statement about your son and daughter but I can't find that post so I will put this here.

You said in your post:

"my son, who is a high achiever and good at everything he does, valedictorian of his class, straight A's all the way through college, helps everyone, etc. ...as my daughter who seems to be an underachiever but seems very content and happy with her life and doesn't strive to impress anyone, takes time for herself and her friends, etc. " You later described all his great and generous acts of kindness.

It appears to me that your kids are both great reflections of you. Your son in his caring so deeply for others, strangers and friends alike, and going out of his way to assist (at his own inconvenience and expense) as well as his always striving to be better. Your daughter as a "content person who does not strive to impress anyone, takes time for herself and friends". I would say you can pat yourself on the back and congratulate yourself for raising two wonderful young adults and that each of them reflects parts of you. It does not surprise me, of course. Children learn what they live...and they "lived" you.

Peace

Mary

Ahh Mary, thank you. Did we lose from May to March? I hope it's not gone forever, as this thread is special to me.

I just typed this post and it disappeared when I KNOW I accidentally hit something. So I hope you don't get 2 versions of this.

No water on the kitchen floor since the last almost-fall a week or so ago. No garbage bags left waiting to go to the garage, not for even one minute since then. And sadly, truthfully....I have caught myself multiple times barefooted (try to teach an old dog new tricks).

So today I HAVE learned, finally and firmly, to wear slippers because once again I all but killed myself on a puddle of clear, clean water that was sitting there waiting to ambush me.... I feel I will be sore just from my successful attempt to stay upright. Back is screaming...I have a troublesome back. I thought Resurrection (not to be disrespectful) was a mystery but that seems easy compared to the mystery of where this water is coming from. There is a water cooler (for bottled water) two feet away but surrounding it is a VERY DRY floor. No water by the sink/dishwasher either. Refrigerator is far away. Big kitchen. Where oh where is this water coming from? The cooler is my best guess but the water guy no showed on Friday (I fear he is about to be fired with this pattern he has) and the cooler is empty as I ran out of bottles and emptied the cooler.

The gift today is that once again I did NOT fall and I will now and forever wears my rubber soled slippers in the house....I have gone barefoot in the house since I had feet...a long time...so I have to find a way to remember to put them on when I get up and when I shed shoes and eventually socks off and on all day. I am grateful for this positive, this gift, today....before I fell and broke whatever.

I wish you all a good day...as good as it can be given the pain that hangs in our lives and hearts. I am off to walk Bentley, then pick up a friend and her daughter for brunch, drop off the daughter at the UW, and go to the domes at Olbrich Gardens and see some flowers. I am really into flowers lately...planning my garden in the back yard and some in front, painting flowers, etc. Flowers are not a new love but one I am now paying attention to finally. My mom loved flowers and taught me well. I just never really got into gardening but now is the time. All my friends garden. The snow is slowly melting, still large piles of it and part of my back yard is still snow covered.

Mary with peace and love

Mary, those "almost falls" can be as dangerous as actual falls. This winter I slipped on a neighbor's snowy/icy driveway, while opening their gate, it was so slick I couldn't stand up. I attempted to catch myself from falling completely and in the going down I twisted and put exertion on my knees, causing some tears...ending with hurting behind my knees and on the outside/side of my knees. One of them is still hurting, they are very hard to repair as the cartilage doesn't get the blood flow/oxygen which is needed for healing. It often ends in surgery. Surgery not being part of my lifestyle of "keeping going" and trying to earn a living, I keep plugging along, trying not to aggravate it and give it ample time to get well.

A slip on water could have the same action, so I'm glad you're wearing slippers...maybe make sure the kitchen light is on and look at the floor before walking in...don't assume it's dry. It is puzzling since you've tried to figure out what's causing it!

I agree, Kay. First, I have been lucky. 3 strikes and I am out so I will not take changes. Yes, I know my back took a beating in keeping myself upright. I have one of those backs that goes "out" but it has not out me on all fours in a long while. It is a source of pain but today was a close call. I am on it now....

I hope you had a restful day. Mine got a bit out of hand. The plan was for one frie d and I to have dinner and visit the domes. Then suddenly her college afpoe diva daughter wants to come. So we pick her up on campus. Then we drop her off, go to the domes and then another friend and her aging dog need a ride from Madison so we swing over to get them. Then suddenly the friend's mom needs a ride also. I got home at after 6 worn out. The highlight of the day was visiting the domes, being surrounded by green which I have not seen in months...flowers, waterfalls, colorful birds, warmth and more. Pictures to follow. Worth e hassle. Dinner was great also...

Maru

Our church had breakfast, then I had cappuccino with a friend while waiting for church. Afterwards, I just got my wood stacked and went to dinner with a friend. Never heard from the kids. Called my mom, wished her Happy Easter...by the end of the conversation (1/2 hour of her telling me how cold she was...she gave her blankets away) she said "Happy...goodbye!" She couldn't remember what she was to be happy about. Sad but comical too.

My positive tonight - I spent three hours with my cardiac team today and I have been released from charting all foods I put in my mouth - I still have to be very deligent and not go over the 48 ozs of liquid or the 2000MG of sodium now. I just don't have to write everything down. :D

I see the cardiac nurse tomorrow for the blood work, weight, and B/P - hope I will be taken off of more meds. Hopeful, Anne

Sounds good Anne, hope you get off more meds, and I am very glad you do not have to write everything down anymore.

My positive for this day, went to Silver Sneakers exercise today (Tuesday and Thursdays) and as we Southern ladies don't sweat, may I say I positively glistened! :rolleyes:

Kay and Mary, sounds like you have good Easter days. I fixed lunch for daughter and her family, we then played games, and did wii bowling, which we all love. Had great time with them.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Aransas

Anne, while you try hard NOT to drink liquids, the rest of us struggle to remember water on and off all day. So glad you are making progress in this health adventure and i know you are feeling much better.

Mary, I like wii and especially like the feature that it allows me to go to Amazon for instant video or to Netflix. :)

I discovered when I woke up at 1am that I had left the front door unlocked. So I locked it and went back to bed after having tea. This morning a friend stopped by to drop something off and handed me my keys...which had been hanging in the lock OUTside all night...so glad I locked the door. There is that aging thing again. Most of us don't lock our doors in the village but I usually do at night or when I leave though lots of friends never lock. Mary

Actually, I was a little bummed that I didn't get to see any of the kids but I guess that's a progression of life. It was too much an ordinary day. Easter has always been special to me so I guess expectations weren't met, but at least it started and ended well. :)

Long overdue errand run to Madison today....5 stores...enough to tire someone age 40. I took Bentley as it is cool here. I misplaced (often called lost) the remote for my hearing aids...it controls volume and left/right wirelessly (neat, eh?)..and I wanted to return the mike they let me test and which did not impress me. Jeff, the person who helps me there and who is really kind, loaned me his demo so I could keep looking for a couple more weeks. The remote is $150. He then said the company has created an APP that turns my cell phone/iPad into a remote for free and also turns it into the mike I returned which would have cost another $150 if I opted to get it, which I did not. My phone is older but I am on the wait list for the newest (rated higher than iPhone5) by Samsung...so if my phone software can't be upgraded while I wait for the new phone, I will just wait until June when it is supposed to be out. What a great thing...one less thing to carry around (and lose). I NEVER misplace my phone.

Cataract surgery is scheduled late July and August (3 weeks apart). I am having a LOT of trouble seeing/reading and with dry eyes (I have cried too much, I believe) so I have to use drops for my prep for May 9 measurements. I chose these days as opposed to late September/October to get it over with. I will be glad when it is over with due to the risk involved for my eyes and also because as strange as it may seem...I have never, in my now 73 years, had surgery on anything...ever...and if I had to dread it anywhere on this body...it would be my eyes. Living in trust :)

End of Mary's health report. Aren't you glad you have all these details? :) So the point is that all of this, coupled with my birthday I guess, makes me think a lot about aging...and so on the way home today, to distract myself from life, I turned on NPR (Ben Merens) only to have them discussing the latest research with some BBC folks on aging, loneliness, isolation and how it all affects health. Hmmmmmmmm! It was interesting but not exactly what I desired today. My friends who are my age, most of them are, are all getting increasingly conscious of aging and the future and what that will all be like for each of us. I have no fear of death...dying is another story.

Mary

Mary, I'm glad to hear about the phone app, and so glad you won't have another device to keep track of! I have a "remote caddy" that used to be George's "mail caddy" when he was alive. If not for that, I'd never find anything! I chuckled at the "I have no fear of death...dying is another story." as I can relate.

I too have dry eyes, I have since my early twenties...when I was young, my husband left me for another woman and I cried my eyes out for a year (it was before I realized he wasn't worth even one of my tears, I should have celebrated instead!), but I have had to use artificial tears ever since. Coupled with allergies and older age, they have only gotten all the dryer over the years. Lately I've been getting sharp stabbing pain in my eyes, which is another consequence of "dry eyes". More lubrication.

Mary, I wish you all the best in your surgery. Eyes are one of the quickest organs to heal, you'll be amazed at how fast your recovery will be!

Kay, what is a remote caddy?

Yep, I am into the artificial tears....I swear I cried them dry. I have to use them 3x a day preceding the measuring in May.

I will be glad when this is all over. But it is a long way off so I will stick it in a box for a while. Thanks, Kay

Mary

A remote caddy is anything that hold remote controls. I have an oak one by my recliner since I have six of them. Otherwise, I'd lose them in the couch or somewhere.

I got it. I was thinking of remote meaning far removed....I have seen those. I have 4 remotes but I only keep two out. One for the Wii and one for the DVD player are rarely used. I am laughing at myself. :)

Mary

Today is Mary's (mfh) Birthday. Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear Mary. Happy Birthday to you. My gift to you is - see the photo. And know that all of us wish you a very wonderful day. Anne

post-15704-0-69251300-1365078458_thumb.j

post-15704-0-73924600-1365078474_thumb.j

Anne and Marty...thank you.

Anne, thanks for the slippers....mine should arrive today says Amazon. And the rooster...well...what can I say? Thank you.

:wub: to both of you, Mary

I love the slippers!

Another Happy Birthday for Mary sent from Montana!

Anne, I am delighted to hear of your progress! Congratulations on being such as great self-carer! It is not easy to shift to being our own full time caregiver after being so involved in someone else's care or life.

I have been listening to some meditations from Sounds True on healing, and one of the meditations ends with "Be One With Yourself" which is what I think many of us are striving to learn how to accomplish again. After being married for years, and a caregiver for three years, getting back to being One with myself is still a challenge sometimes. I am happy to hear that you are manifesting physical signs of being One with Yourself in very good ways!

I have a tray to keep all the remotes in (I only have three) and Doug had a tray upstairs for his machine remotes and extra leads, etc.

It is feeling so very good to have this day off, when I do not need to respond to anything that shakes me or hurts my heart. I am learning to be better at self care, too.

Brava! to us all!

fae

My positive today:

I just watched "Return To Me", it was a very special movie I recommend to anyone here. It's about someone who lost his wife and her heart was donated...he met the person who received it. I don't want to say any more, but it was a special movie.

Well, I just started the dishwasher and sat there and within minutes a puddle forms in front of it. Duh! I am going to let it run its cycle and watch the water form THE puddle 4 feet away. Bill would have figured this out instantly, repaired the DW and saved me the mystery. As for Bentley, I took his urine in this morning and the vet just called me to say it is perfectly normal except he is not drinking enough water so she gave me a few ways to increase that but his kidneys are more than fine. I told her he has to live another 22 years..making me 95 and him 31. So mystery solved. If I had sat in front of the DW as I just did.... but I never dreamed it was the DW as the puddle was 3-4 feet away. So when I take Bentley to be groomed today I will revisit Bob's Electric and discuss repair vs new DW. Always something. Thank you all for your concern and brainstorming. Mystery done! :wacko: Mary

Mary, that is so funny...here you were worried Bentley was drinking too much water and it turns out he's not drinking enough! Ha ha! If you have any pointers to share about HOW to get him to drink more, please let me know as I worry that Arlie doesn't drink enough...he doesn't begin to consume what Skye always had, even though he's bigger.

And I'm so glad it's the DW and not Bentley! Dishwashers can be replaced, dogs can't!

Kay, you are right...better a new dishwasher. I posted water ideas on falling. I am so tired tonight I can hardly sit upright :)