Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

A while back my dog lost his "neighbor privileges" at my neighbor's house...he had a friend (lab) there he used to run and play with, and in the summer they'd chill out under the shade tree together.  A while back by neighbor got another dog and they didn't take a liking to each other, probably because of the way he "introduced" them.  At any rate, since he can no longer go over there, I decided to have a fence built.  I'm on a hill and have a circular driveway, which I didn't want to include because I don't want to stop on the hill on snow/ice to unlatch a gate or risk letting Arlie out if he's out there.  So it's a small area but big enough for him to run in.  I hired someone to build it and he finished yesterday.  

As I opened up Arlie's pen and let him free, he had such an incredulous look on his face!  He ran around the yard and checked things out, then he came back and gave me a kiss.  Last night I was telling my sister about it on the phone and he overheard, and he came up and gave me another kiss.  He is so happy with it!  I can't wait to see him when it snows!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

When we lived between the two mountains, we lived off a forestry road, no traffic, and around two miles down this road.  We had two dogs.  They had the whole Ouachita National Forest to roam..  They unfortunately would not let our nearest neighbor's dog come outside.  And, he was an in house dog while Billy's were pure bred something (mostly trouble).  Had to put them in a pen.  Hated to do that.  You would think 40 miles from any town, two miles from your nearest neighbor (Billy's idea of mountain man heaven), that dogs would not be a problem.  Then when we lived on the lake, back down here, our neighbor drank a little.  Her dog was in a huge fenced yard.  Our dogs would fuss, but no danger until she got drunk, came into our yard to inform us that our dogs did not like each other.  She was very drunk.  The dogs started fighting in our front yard, she put her leg between them and one bit her.  We had to keep ours inside the house for days.  He had had his shots,, but I am not sure the drunk woman had had hers. No freedom for man nor beast.  I feel for you.  At least he will have room to run.   

• Like 1

Marg, I have heard all my life, never get between two dogs in a fight. I learned why in 2013, when Nate, a friend of my son, came to stay with us for several months after a breakup with his long-time, live-in girlfriend.  Brought his girl dog, Callie.  She got along great with my two boy dogs, but not my girl Lily.  They often tussled a second, then would back off, growl and bark, but generally  behave after a bit.  One night they really latched onto one another, so I tried to grab their collars to pull them apart. BIG mistake.  Lily bit into my right leg while Callie tore into my left arm.  Best I can tell, only one real bite from each dog, but the leg wound was deep while the arm was ripped.  Not sure I have ever cussed and yelled so much before or since.  Both dogs were immediately cowed and contrite, but I was bleeding like the proverbial stuck pig.  My son's friend was weak-kneed over blood anyway, and I thought he was going to pass out.  Wanted to take me to the hospital, but I knew they would probably report it, and I would have animal control and half the Sheriff's Department out there. So I got in the tub, washed and washed with germ-killing soap, pulled the skin back to and taped and super-glued some of it back together.  Fussed and cussed loud the whole time.  My son and his Bud were about as cowed as the two dogs.  They never fought like that again, but more importantly, I certainly learned MY lesson.  Never get between two dogs in a fight.

• Like 1

Marg, by the way, when Dana and I got together for the first visit last summer after 32 years, we were like Riggs (Mel Gibson) and Cole (Rene Russo) comparing the scars they'd accumulated over their years as cops in one of the Lethal Weapon movies. Between us we had been through several accidents, a burst appendix, a collapsing stairway, a kidney operation, and my dogfight. We had so many parallels over the years, including injuries and scars of all sorts. I laughed out loud when I made the Lethal Weapon connection. She had never seen it, but enjoyed the whole idea. 

BTW2, she was the one on the collapsed stairs, so I have to say she had the most scars.

• Like 1

Billy had the scars too.  One of the first stent implants into his kidney arteries.  They had him tied to the table and cardiovascular surgeons in the next room.  I did not see it, but heard how bad it hurt.  Then when he had his next one they had perfected it where it was not as painful. He had three kidney arteries.  We all had the scars, now  all of us that are left still have the pain.  Ironic.  And, we saw all the Lethal Weapon movies.  Good analogy. 

I informed the Fed Ex guy not to go into the front, to use the back, the UPS guy and mailman already know that.  I put up a "Beware of Dog, use back door" sign with an arrow pointing to the back, in case someone doesn't get it.  Arlie is a self appointed guard dog that puts up a storm if someone comes on our place he doesn't think belongs there.  Someone would have to be pretty stupid or have a death wish to proceed anyway.

He's out there this morning enjoying his freedom to run, he really loves it!  I wish I'd had this done years ago, I've always wished I had one.  :)  My other dogs didn't run off so didn't need one but Arlie being a Husky, he's headstrong!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

@kevin Beautiful pictures, you have a lot of snow already! It's snowing/sticking here right now!  Adorable grandson!  Mine is nine months on the 10th.

Me too, Kevin, no rain or snow forecast for the next week!  28 out right now.

• 1 month later...

It says the content isn't available so it may be a FB permissions issue, it may only be shareable with HER friends.

Congratulations though!  My grandson took his first steps around eight months old, I was shocked, that was so early, but he's not what I'd call "walking", just crawling, standing, and occasional steps.  I think because he's so lightweight it makes it easier for him than it was for his sister.  I wish so much I could view it!

Kevin,

I love that picture of you with Atlas.  Talk about a proud grandpa!!  :D  

It's been raining all week, we get a brief reprieve, then more rain, followed by snow Thursday night on.

I have to let my fire go out this weekend as they're coming to work on it Monday morning.  My furnace (that I had worked on just over a year ago) is not cooperating so it's going to be very cold in here tomorrow and Monday. :angry:  I have the worst luck with contractors!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got myself dugout of the snowfall, neighbour with plow has helped us all by pushing snow banks back....When all the snow started to melt, some how got some of my electrical(coil) components wet...Van wouldn't fire, put a tarp over the front and a heater underneath, two days later it started...Evidently its common problem for this model......Besides that, the downsizing is going well, and 6 weeks until my Hip surgery........spending 25 minutes on stationary bike daily....should help my recovery after surgery.....looking forward to walking normal again...

• Like 1

Ohoh, how much snow do you have?  I'm getting nervous, they say a storm is coming in tomorrow on, not sure how much I'll get here, I've heard varying reports.  No plow, just me and a shovel.
I'm glad you got your van started.  I hope the snow is gone by the time you have to have your surgery!

Kay, snow finally quit about 3-4 days ago......Scheduled for pre surgery stuff Feb 8th, but weather starting to turn Springish.....getting Gwen's left over rain ...This winter seems longer than usual...have a good day  

Edited by kevin
spelling
  • Like 1

It's supposed to snow here this morning from 4-10 am but I've been up since 3 and haven't seen it yet.  Not complaining.  I'd be happy if they'd keep that stuff above 5,000 feet.