Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

I'm unable to view the picture, get error message.  I'm glad you had a good time!

• 3 weeks later...

My son surprised me, showing up Thursday afternoon...he'd been hunting and needed to cut up the meet the next day so he spent the night with me and I was able to try out a Keto recipe I got off George's group website.  Saturday my family and I met in town for lunch for my birthday, and my son was there too, along with his family.  A huge positive!  The grandkids "drew pictures" for me.  ;)

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Many years ago (1993) I found out the EE savings bonds were being discontinued.  I asked my husband, should I buy a couple. He had worked in banking, and 4% interest wasn't going to roll around again, any time soon.

I got the bonds in the mail, and stuck them on a shelf over the kitchen sink. There they sat for years. One day, Husband said, "You ought to put those in a safe place." They were moved to what I deemed a safe place, and I forgot where that was.

We moved out of that house ten years later. I packed everything, but didn't see those savings bonds.  I *assumed* I had put them in our safe deposit box so didn't worry about it. Much. Over the years I checked the safe deposit box, flipped through the envelopes, didn't see them. Again when Husband died and I pulled out the will. Nada. I periodically berated myself for not taking better care of them, and silently cursed my dead husband for making me move them, since I *had* known their location, *until he suggested I move them to a safe place.* Not an absurd amount of money was involved, but more than I wanted to lose. Yeah, I guess they could be replaced, but I knew it would be a hassle.

Around the first of October, I got a registered letter from the bank. The safe deposit boxes were being removed. I needed to go retrieve my belongings. Again, the feeling of dread; I'd look, they still wouldn't be there, and I'd be out that money unless I could successfully prove I'd purchased them, somehow. I had saved a pile of bank statements from that bank, hoping I could find the transaction, maybe.  It has been acquired a couple times in the 25 years since I purchased the bonds. I put on my best cheery face for the bank employee, even though the last time I remembered accessing the box was to retrieve my husband's will. I shoved everything into the shopping bag I'd brought and went back to work, without crying.

I got home and started going through the bag.  There was a commemorative coin set for the year of my birth an uncle had given me.  Title for a truck sold about 2005.  And envelopes for certificates of deposit. I'd forgotten they actually mailed a paper copy. I opened each envelope and inside the last one was another, smaller envelope. Inside were the two savings bonds.

All that angst, all that resentment, and they were where they were supposed to be. Kind of. Inside another envelope. Now I need to find *another* safe place. 

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

My daughter even took the day off (first time in months) to join us!  It was good to see everyone.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Thanks, Marg!  It meant a lot, we went to the Olive Garden but there wasn't much my son could eat, will go to the authentic Chinese place next year, you can get meat and vegetables there!  I couldn't believe it, everything had pasta or breading, all of the soup had beans, pasta, or potatoes too, he finally found something he could eat.

8 hours ago, ipswitch said:

All that angst, all that resentment, and they were where they were supposed to be. Kind of. Inside another envelope. Now I need to find *another* safe place. 

ipswitch: Since I tend to have a deficit in memory retention.  I have warned my kids when I pass away to be sure to look in a special book where I have written down all my hiding places of valuables since I no longer have a safety box.  Dee

• Like 2

I was just reminded by my cousin being sent to a rehab facility to make sure your meds are up to date.  She first called me and I could barely understand her and she was crying inconsolably.  Something in what she got out got me to remembering when Steve was in the hospital one of many times and his home meds were all off, they had even not given him his antidepressant for days.  Now amid all the legal stuff I do have organized, I need to update my med list I carry in my purse and in the car if something happens.  My cousin now sounds rational and back on track.  We often forget that some if what we take cannot be skipped or substituted with generics.  

• Like 4

And so you all know, I finally broke a huge hurdle for me...I need a colonoscopy.  The last thing in the world I want is cancer, so I know this is important, but I've procrastinated for a few months, I'd rather go through a root canal...and I had no one to drive me.  The one person you can count on is now dead.  No one takes their place.  I finally made contact with the Gastroenterology office after several tries and talked to them about my concerns and made an appointment and got the courage to ask a friend to drive me.  I don't know why it's so hard for me to ask for help.  I've been independent so long but we all need someone sometimes.  I did it. (as my two year old grandson says, "I did it!")  Now I have but to go through it.

• Like 3

Personally, I’d rather have the root canal.  🙂

I'm glad you found the courage for this and some help.  Do you have anyone you can call the night of the prep if there are any problems?  I know that’s the worst of this procedure.  

• Like 2

Nope but then I weathered through it alone the first time.  The prep is horrid.

On 10/11/2019 at 6:35 AM, kayc said:

The prep is horrid.

I asked the man-friend if I should go to work the day of the procedure. "I wouldn't" he said.

It turned out the weather was going to be bad the day I had mine.  I'd already re-scheduled once (and frankly, had waited 10 years past the date for the initial, baseline one).  The facility called me the day before - could I come for a 9 a.m. procedure instead of 2 p.m.? So many people had cancelled, they were closing at noon.

Happy Thanks Giving up here...took a quick trip to the Mountains and National Park.....Spent time in hot springs and caught glimpses of pretty big wild life......Life has finally turned the corner......(got news I'll be another great Grandfather(also in March)...time flies....

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0043.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0046.JPG

IMG_0052.HEIC

• Like 2

GREAT grandfather?  But you're too young!  CONGRATULATIONS!

Love the pictures!!

Love the pictures.  We have some cold winds today.  Yesterday the A/C in the car and house were both on.  Will probably just use ceiling fans today.  Tomorrow is Billy's Angelversary, it will be four years, but who's counting.  I will move at the end of the month to an apartment house owned by the apartments I live in now and built about the same time.  It is less than half a mile from where I now live. My sister has an upfloor apartment  around the corner, mine will be apartment 105, which is at the beginning.  I will have the biggest patio (fenced in), which just like this fireplace, I will probably never use, but the two bathrooms and the W/D connections are so necessary.  The "no steps" is also necessary.  

I am wondering about your knees also Kevin.  No surgery I hope.  You have mountains to climb and thankfully I will not be around lakes because these alligators come into back yards and they take family  pets, if the yard is not fenced.  I am only about 30 miles from the Arkansas line, I do not live in Cajun country, but my kind of country can only be called redneck, and we have to be careful.  My cousin, when looking up her family's DNA found out her husband was her 3rd cousin.  I at least picked someone in the most south of our parish (county) and I lived in the most north of our parish.  After our children were born though, I sometimes wondered.

Enjoy all that beauty.  One of my  neighbors mentioned she had to get out of Louisiana.  I told her I had to stay, all my  roots were here and somehow, some crazy reason (I don't really have to have an excuse for the insanity part), it means something to me.  She said "Why!!!! they are all daid" as only a Louisiana dialect can say "dead."  And they are, but some reason it means something to me while I am alive.  

alligator.jpg

• Like 1

Karen, I so remember the magic of the desert.  I also remember coming down the White Mountains and way down below I saw smoke.  First ever cell phone.  Of course I got no reception.  I was going to call 911 for a forest fire and about that time came to a sign saying "controlled burn" and know I would have to had told them I was a Louisiana flatlander that only worried about floods.  But do know, you probably can see those pine/Aspen covered mountains with a tiny drive.  Beautiful country, but yes, we have water, sometimes too much.  

4 hours ago, Marg M said:

Yesterday the A/C in the car and house were both on.

Wow, and I've had a fire going in my woodstove for 1 1/2 months!

4 hours ago, Marg M said:

I am wondering about your knees also Kevin.  No surgery I hope. 

I thought Kevin already went through that?

Kay, I have not turned it off the A/C setting yet.  Brianna is hypothyroid and her body temperature gauge is never running on an even keel.  She wears sweat shirts in the summer (in humid Louisiana).  If I get cool, I put a sweater on.  I have been reading a lot of things that pop up talking about the generic levothyroid is not the same as the name brand Synthroid.  I'm gonna ask about  that.  

• Like 1

I had both Hips done about 13 months apart....this is my first year with "semi healthy limbs".....Golf shuts down next week so I'm back to the Gym with high hopes...still got minor breathing issues but its progressing....

• Like 1