Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

I tend toward the positive and today I share one with you.  Those who remember me know I lost my Schipperke-Poodle to seizures and a weak heart after I rescued him after my Jim died. I only had him for about one year.  This is the picture before his haircut and visit to our vet. 

I also was lucky to have my grand dog live a few blocks from me and he spent many a day with Jim and me.  He was a Beagle and the most gentle and loving dog one would ever want.  He died a few years ago after a long illness.  

Well, I was just introduced to another grand dog.  The kids decided it was time to get another dog.  When I got the phone call that they wanted to stop by, I was looking forward to seeing what surprise they had. I knew they were looking for a medium sized dog who could travel with them.  This is Buddy, a Beagle, two and a half years young.  I love him already. He will spend lots of time with grandma. 

Benji.jpg

Fred.jpg

Buddy 11:2019.jpg

• Like 6

Oh Anne, I can't wait to hear "Buddy" stories!  And yes, or course I remember that picture of Benji, it always brought a smile to my face!  We always miss them but hoping the pain gets lighter...

• 2 weeks later...

Made a trip to my son's yesterday and we all went to The Nutcracker to watch my four year old granddaughter, Ceci, perform.  It was a big night for her!

Ceci Nutcracker 120719.jpg

Ceci Nutcracker-3 120719.jpg

Ceci Nutcracker-4 120719.jpgCeci Nutcracker-2 120719.jpg

• Like 7

I got a kick out of her...I read her a gook and was tucking her in bed when she asked me to turn on her Christmas lights (she has a tree in her room).  I said, "Are you sure you're allowed to have the lights on at night?  I'll have to ask your daddy about that."  "Oh, yeah!" she said.  I heard him holler up the stairs, "Is she trying to con you into turning the Christmas lights on?"  :D

• Like 4

Kay C , beautiful pictures.......Went to Grandson's 3rd birthday last week end(5 of the 6 brothers were there).......all high energy in my mind or I've really slowed down...Still winter full time up here....Check out Christmas Lights 

IMG_0081.jpg

IMG_0084.jpg

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

• Like 1

Love the pictures!  Is that your son?  Your Christmas lights and cat?

Kay, the big Guy is my #2 son, birthday kid is Atlas( #6 Grandkid) has the Birthday card, and the Cat is my Lady Friends who took over the "guest room"........And my ongoing Christmas project is the Lights....Cold weather impedes the outside work(plastic freezes quick up here)

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Just got back from my son's, wonderful to be home!  Even with snow coming.  Bruno (16 x bigger than Kodie) was good with Kodie.  They have the same mannerisms and movements, one giant, one miniature, so cute to watch them together!  Kodie started smiling this week, I haven't been able to capture a picture of it yet but he did a lot of smiling this weekend!  He's a happy little guy!  And no accidents the last few days!

Kodie and Bruno-1 013020.jpg

Kodie and Bruno-2 013020.jpg

Kodie and Bruno-3 013020.jpg

Kodie and Bruno-4 013020.jpg

• Like 5

My son took the pictures, I can butcher any pictures!  LOL

The third one down of Bruno reminds me of Arlie, I've seen him look just like that so many times.  His fur wasn't as fluffy being half Golden retriever, but his tail and face definitely looked like the Husky side of him.  I miss him so much.  He will always be the most beautiful dog in the world to me even if to no one else.  

Dee, you're right, Kodie does look like a stuffed toy.  The chow I walk, Joe, attacked Kodie when he was half this size, he was just sleeping on the couch when Joe went for him, always made me wonder what Joe was thinking, perhaps he thought he was a stuffed toy (Joe doesn't hear and can't see well either).

13 hours ago, kayc said:

My son took the pictures, I can butcher any pictures!  LOL

The third one down of Bruno reminds me of Arlie, I've seen him look just like that so many times. 

I miss him so much.  He will always be the most beautiful dog in the world to me even if to no one else.  

Dee, you're right, Kodie does look like a stuffed toy.  The chow I walk, Joe, attacked Kodie when he was half this size, he was just sleeping on the couch when Joe went for him, always made me wonder what Joe was thinking, perhaps he thought he was a stuffed toy (Joe doesn't hear and can't see well either).

Kayc:  How frightening for little Kodie and thank goodness you were able to rescue him quickly.  It's hard to understand what a dog will do.  

I totally understand why you feel so much love for Arlie.  Our fur babies are gifts to us to be loved and cherished.  Arlie gave you so much.  Kodie has already given you so much.  You are blessed.  Dee

• Like 2

It was frightening for Kodie, and also this week when my granddaughter kept trying to hold him (and squeezed him until he hurt) and put him in doll clothes (and got a crown/clip stuck in his fur)...I'm going to have to ride herd on her in April when I take care of them for a week.  My job is to protect him and sometimes it's hard to be that every second!  (May have to take him into the bathroom with me if other dogs/kids are around.)

Yes little Kodie has wormed his way into my heart, he's a tremendous amount of work but I can't imagine being without him now.  And Arlie...I'll miss him the rest of my life.  I miss Kitty too, even though she wasn't the easiest cat to deal with, I understood her and love her.

• Like 1

Sounds like you’ll have your hands full protecting your furry kid from the human one.  Don’t want hm traumatized.  Don’t want to have to discipline your granddaughter too.  Maybe you can teach her about pets?  Don’t know how old she is.  

Arlie's still fresh for you and will be one of those deeper pains we all know.  You know this, but logic loses to emotion every time.

• Like 2

Ceci is 4 2/3, definitely old enough to know better...I already tried teaching her.  When she was younger she'd pull on Bruno's ears, etc. and never got chastised for it, something I disagree with...but Bruno is 16 times bigger than Kodie, it can have dire consequences for this little guy.  When my kids were little I taught them how to treat the family dog!  She'll have discipline from me if I'm there a week, not corporal punishment, but she may have some time outs to think and give her reason to change her behavior.  That's pretty much how her parents "discipline her."

Losing Arlie was a close second to losing George, may not have affected my life in the ways a husband does but it affected my everyday life profoundly and the pain of missing him...well I'd filled so much of that void with him and then to go through it again, it's beyond hard.  I know that you know, anyone who loves their dog/s like I did/do understands.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

I'm officially a super senior......My first Great Grandson was born yesterday......Atlas , the three year Old ,is now an Uncle......Everyone is Healthy and Hungry......Seems like last week I was taking my grandson skating when he was 6 years old ..time fly's......

IMG_0165.jpg