Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

10 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Simple fix, not simple finding an electrician for a tiny job.  

I hear you, Gwen.  gutter guy finally showed up...without the gutter.  He said they don't have them locally.  Well duh!  He's had over two months to get the job done!  He stuck a flanged piece of metal under the roof where it leaks, looks totally stupid and not sure how great it'll work.  Is he going to come back and do the job right?  Lord only knows.  I've been waiting for him to affix the L shaped flashing between house and dog pen for 2 1/2 years, finally did that last night.  He ran into problems because of how the pen roof was built.  He checked it out 2 1/2 years ago, couldn't he have properly assessed it then?  They don't like bothering with small jobs.  I need an electrician for my bathroom, light over sink hasn't worked in years, could be ballast, could be switch, could be who knows.  No one is coming up from Eugene for that.  And they wouldn't have the parts, another trip, more hourly/mileage.  Not worth it.

• Like 1

kayc:  I hear you with all the little "fixit" problems a home needs to function like we were used to when our husbands were here taking care of broken switches, etc.  I am always amazed that so many women, my age and younger, can tackle a problem and not have to wait for a repairman.  I hope your "gutter guy" returns soon.  Dee   

• Like 1

Billy's nephew's wife did all the things that needed remodeling.  She amazed me.  I kept thinking "what else are men good for?" and I put a note on the refrigerator for Billy to change out the other pipe under the sink that cost us so much time and work and me nearly hand fisting with the insurance man.  I had never handled an insurance claim before.  Well, we got it fixed, flood in 4 big rooms, hall, wash room, and when Billy left, that note that had been on the refrigerator for about five years was still there.  Bri asked him had he fixed it, he said "no" and that was as plain as he put it.  After I moved the new owners fixed the whole plumbing system and they love the house like two gypsies, not of this world, had not loved it enough.  Oh yeah, Mama had her own tool box.  She fixed everything that could be fixed  by someone other than a professional.......................I rent.  I don't fix anything.

• Like 2

On 3/14/2020 at 2:49 PM, Marg M said:

Oh yeah, Mama had her own tool box.  She fixed everything that could be fixed  by someone other than a professional

So did my mom...with pantyhose and rubber bands.  At least I use duct tape!

Duck tape 🙂 is a must.  I’ve used it to cover wood table legs from teething puppies to covering my nicotine patch in the shower.  I’m guessing it works great on what it was designed for too.  Now you can buy fancy colored ones too.

• Like 1

My neighbor called from Costco yesterday to see if I needed something, she got me Kodie's puppy chow, they limit one 20 lb bag.  She had to stand in line quite a while to get into the store.  I have been worried about it because I wasn't sure they even have it since they don't carry it on line anymore and don't answer their phone.

Another Great Grand kid born Thursday.........7 lbs 6 ounces, Baby girl.....due to Covid 19 etc,  going to put off visiting her for a month or two...But everyone healthy and happy........Here's both of them Aria is the Girl(2 days old) and Mason about 3 weeks old....tha's it for a couple of years,  I hope....

IMG_0171.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, kayc said:

My neighbor called from Costco yesterday to see if I needed something, she got me Kodie's puppy chow, they limit one 20 lb bag. 

kayc: Good to hear Costco is limiting items.  Sure hope they are limiting the sought after paper products.  You are blessed to have neighbors looking out for you.

My son is a truck driver and texted me yesterday that he was waiting in the parking lot of the Costco Distribution Center with a truck load of pharmaceuticals waiting to be unloaded - said it was a zoo.  Dee 

Kevin, They are beautiful!  You must be one proud grandpa!  Thank you for sharing!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Poor Billy replaced my toilet seats at least 100 times.  I put gorilla glue in the screw holes and they lasted over three years, until I moved from last apartment.  Duct tape and Gorilla glue are my go to fix-its.  

• Like 1

I have a stubborn twist pole on my wooden blinds that superglue and duct tape just won’t fix.  Both lasted just a few days.  I need to get somine who can stand on a chair to try a better job than this old lady can do.  That includes standing on a chair.  🙂

Another essential in my kit is spot carpet cleaner.  Dogs with mud, drops of red wine, yard debris’s and occasionally Melody decides a fresh dog turd is needed for ambience.  Just realized that could mean she goes in the house!   Nope, she brings them in from outside.  Need doggie mouthwash!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Just realized that could mean she goes in the house!   Nope, she brings them in from outside.  Need doggie mouthwash!

Gwen:  Thanks for the chuckle of the day.  We really have to love our fur babies, don't we?  Dee

• Like 2

Yah, we do.  Actually got them both to the vet today and got their nails trimmed.  You inspired me, Dee, getting Maddie’s done.  What chaos it was getting them in the SUV.  Melody had to practically be dragged out of the house as she hates the car, and Ally was iffy getting her in with being weak in the legs now.  None of the pet stores would do it because they have to be on a table inside the store so that left Ally out as she’s too shakey.   The vet did and it was more than twice the cost.  But after months, I suppose it evened out.  Ally’s mood was drastically changed.  She got a car ride and I shut the front gate so she is out there for the first time in forever.  I’m in my chair with a very sore back on top of my sore back.  Nice to hear her barking out there tho.  Poking her nose out the window driving around.  All Mel did was leap out and scurry back inside.  Wish I had her love for being home 24/7, would make this quarantine easier.  Anyway, I knew. Ally was depressed and this proved it.  Tides will not be a daily thing, but I may start giving her the front yard again.  Part of that tho is the getting home and surveying her kingdom.  I think she’ll take it tho so at least one thing back in her old routine.  

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

None of the pet stores would do it because they have to be on a table inside the store so that left Ally out as she’s too shakey.   The vet did and it was more than twice the cost.  But after months, I suppose it evened out.  Ally’s mood was drastically changed.  She got a car ride and I shut the front gate so she is out there for the first time in forever.  I’m in my chair with a very sore back on top of my sore back.  Nice to hear her barking out there tho.  Poking her nose out the window driving around.  

Gwen:  Yes, I had to pay quite a bit to get Maddie's done at the Referral Hospital.  But, like you, I rationalized the cost.  I wouldn't do it myself and it would be an extra trip to take her anywhere else.  I was afraid she was going to slip one day and hurt herself - don't need anymore vet bills.

Sorry to hear you had to suffer added back pain.   Hope resting will get you back to your normal.  

Yay, Ally's mood has changed.  They never seem to forget what makes them happy.

Dee

• Like 3

I need to do Kodie's nails today, he hates it and fights me so it's not easy.  Wish I had someone to hold him while I did it but we all know what that's like, nobody around!

Glad Ally had a good day, Gwen!  Hope Melody was happy to be home.  I'm wondering what a vet would charge extra if they weren't already seeing them for something else?  Of course right now they don't allow us moms in the vet.  Some dental offices are opening but I still can't get in until Sept.  Now I have a rash on my chest I thought was bug bites but now see it's spread, may have to go to the doctor for that, it itches like crazy, no clue what it is.

• Like 1

My deep abrasion from the carpet fall might be getting infected.  Like you, Kay, I want someone to look at it.  Can’t go into the regular docs for something like that here and all the urgent cares are closed.  If ever we need urgent care clinics,it’s now.  But I can see it would hard to keep people safe there.

my vet has always charged twice the rate of pet stores.  I’ve only gotten complimentary ones if my kid was in for surgery or overnight.  I don’t think they should charge more, but they don’t care what I think.  

I found my color palette!  Yippee!  It’s come to this.  Something trivial in this crazy time.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, kayc said:

Now I have a rash on my chest I thought was bug bites but now see it's spread, may have to go to the doctor for that, it itches like crazy, no clue what it is.

kayc: could it be nerves?  Early in this virus situation I noticed my hands would break out with little water filled blisters that would itch like crazy.  I had remembered my daughter would get similar breakouts and it was identified as nerves for her.  I had some lotion designed for itchy conditions and thank goodness it is gone now.  Not sure why mine went away and so far hasn't returned, but I do try not to think about the virus lock down since I am a home body anyway.  Just a thought.  Dee

Besides my carpet burn which has a good reason, I’ve noticed my skin and nails are acting weird.  Much more hangnails, cracked nails, skin more sensitive.  Lots of stuff.  Patches on my body that come and go.  Definite worsening of existing stuff like edema and blood flow.  I had a televisit with my doc today and he said the lack of activity is affecting so many people.  Even if we feel like we are getting enough it isn’t close to what it was when we were out and about.  I walked in to get my RX's today just for movement.  I also think we are more tense than we realize.  I’ve been picking at those hangnails making them worse or scratching patches thus irritating them.  Lots of times it’s unconscious til I see some blood!  Trying to be more aware and leave things alone or tend to them with proper tools like cuticle scissors and nail files.  Rub my itches instead of using fingernails.  I know I don’t relax when I sleep.  Or bodies are really being put thru the mill by our emotions.  

• Like 2