Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

18 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I found my color palette!  Yippee!  It’s come to this.  Something trivial in this crazy time.

Good for you, a positive!

I trimmed Kodie's nails, much easier than Arlie's, I am able to use a nail clipper on him, cutting straight headway (if diagonal too easy to clip the tissue), Arlie had special X-Lg clippers with a guard to keep from snipping where you shouldn't, but he was terrified and it was hard to do by myself although he got better at it.  Spent $100 on Kodie yesterday, got a new leash and collar, I ended up not getting a chain one as they were all choke, I figured he'd break his neck pulling first time out, so I opted for the Kong durable one instead.  Problem is, the collar is so thick and maybe an inch diameter, so to get it tight enough he can't get it into his mouth and chew it, I worry it's not comfortable to him to wear all the time, so I put it on when we go out for a walk.  Someone on FB had suggested that.  Plus when I'm walking him, I'm keeping an eye on him so he can't chew on it!  He's an imp and very quick!

Thought the rash was bug bites at first until it spread.  Have doctor's appt in 16 days so would like to hold off.  Thought maybe allergy but usually hydrocortisone cream helps, it didn't.  So then I tried Nystatin Triamcinolone Acetonide ointment (fungal) and that took away the itching, it looks a little better, will see how it goes.  No idea where I'd have gotten it!  Everything I read said not to scratch, not easy when you have an itching demon inside!

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I don’t think they should charge more, but they don’t care what I think.

I think they charge more because of their education they can...a dog groomer has a lesser rate, not having to have the same education.  But you would think their assistant could do it at a lesser rate, nope you get charged at a vet's rate!

Do take care of that abrasion so it doesn't get infected and take off!  Neosporin, rubbing alcohol, I've heard Peroxide is damaging to the skin although they use it in ears.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Thought the rash was bug bites at first until it spread.

Know you have tried Benadryl.  Of course, the first thing they will do is steroids.  Back in the "dark ages" if Benadryl, aspirin, Vicks Salve, castor oil or milk-of-magnesia didn't cure it, then I think they had some kind of yellow sulfa tablets (I may  have had some very young), whole family was allergic to penicillin.  Saw my mama nearly die from it.   Her whole body swelled up, face terribly. Treated it herself with baths using oat meal soaked in water packed inside dish towels (what did we ever do without  paper towels)?  Strange, some of those old methods still work.  Kelli will have a seizure if she is given a steroid shot, but can take oral steroids.  

I do not watch Bill Maher, but Scott was over here last night and had him on.  He is very outspoken atheist, and some are, but I do get offended by this.  Call me old fashioned (I am), but I won't watch him.  Last night he made a lot of sense.  This virus jumps on the immune compromised, and I am.  So is Brianna, Scott and Kelli.  After the cancer, doctors told me to  take vitamin C 500 mg a day.  Our health food store had them in what tasted like sour cherry candy.  I loved those things.  Went to work one time (after coming home from hospital in Houston, and started urinating pure blood, and with all the treatment and manipulations my body had gone through, I figured "what the hell, I'm dying, so what."  But, the pain got so bad I went to my GYN doc, which back then I was an emergency patient, go right on in.  He asked "when did you first notice it?"  I told him at work that morning.  He said "you went to work with this pain??"  Well, I figured I could die at work as well as at home, my job was not anything but sitting down typing.)  I had hemorrhagic cystitis and Dr. Boyd and I fixed that and I told him I was probably taking up to 5,000 mg of vitamin C a day.  Well, your body will eliminate 500 mg in four hours.  I had just taken more than it could eliminate from a radiated bladder.  I stopped at Billy's work, went to their bathroom, passed the calcium phosphate kidney stones, and cut down my vitamin C to 500 mg a day.  Only time I ever had kidney stones, no fun at all.  

I cannot make a long story short, I'm sorry.  Something that takes 2-3 lines for most intelligent people, I turn into a book.  Thus my word salads.  Anyhow, try to keep what immune systems that you are left with, possibly  make them a little healthier to fight this virus off.  (Two lines, that was all I really needed).  

• Like 1

I've reached my goal weight, something I never thought possible until talking with George and my son.  I can do this the rest of my life, it has my Diabetic numbers cut in half.  I'm pleased with the effects of Keto, how even-keeled I feel.  It's worth it to me...the results of enjoying breads, sugars, etc. aren't worth the price to me.  Down 50 pounds!  Of course it doesn't look the same on me at 67 as it did in my 40s at this weight...can't reverse time!

• Like 4

Good for you, Kay!  Yeah, weight distribution is so much different now. I weigh the same as I did since my 20's but you won’t catch me in shorts or a bikini.  We’re you taking oral meds for the diabetes?  Will this help eliminate some or all of you were?  50 pounds is fantastic!  Quite the achievement and I know you will maintain it.  

I’m finding that heavy starches and sugar just aren’t appealing much any more.  They sit too heavy now that I’m so much less active and I’m sure my stomach has changed with age.  The hardest has been having to cut back on my amount of wine. It’s disrupting my sleep too much as well as depression.  I so enjoyed my 2 glasses before bed.  Had just one last night easily.  Just miss a longer time of feeling relaxed after the long days.  I’m also finding the pain med for my back is now causing side effects like headaches and feeling clammy.  I really depended on a couple hours of some relief so will have to decide on that now.

it all used to be so simple.  Wake up happy, live the day, go to sleep, repeat.  It was a great system.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gwenivere said:

We’re you taking oral meds for the diabetes?  Will this help eliminate some or all of you were?

Yes I'm still on Rxs but hope to get off them someday.  So far my B.S. isn't dropping below where it should be, if/when it does, I'll start cutting back on Rxs and hope to be free of them someday.

• Like 4

I am envious actually  Kay.  I am miserable and have a sit down bicycle I don't use.  No one to blame but myself.  If you look at the "low residue" diet, you will see that not much healthy can be eaten.  With Billy gone, I have let myself go and am a real frump, and have not cared.  Still do not care as far as looks go, but feeling good is something I would like to do.  I can have eggs, prefer egg beaters, asparagus spears, cooked carrots and cooked spinach.  Nothing raw in the way of vegetables and mostly starchy veggies.  To feel better, I will do something.  The nutritionist was aghast at the only things I am allowed.  It means low or no fiber.  Chocolate will really hurt me.  No nuts, no seeds.  I will handle it.  Bicycle first.

• Like 1

No chocolate Marg?  That’s criminal!  :)

really, tho, I just cannot imagine being so tightly limited on edibles.  Som people might think it’s great you don’t have to adhere to the stuff we all don’t really like but eat to balance things out.  But that’s just it.  Balance.  My body will even crave veggies when it’s running low on something one is abundant in.  Do you take supplements for vital stuff?  Like the B vitamins?  So necessary for nerve conduction.  I use vitamin D as there is little sun in Seattle in the winter and I’m not outside much in the summer.  

I’ve let much of my appearance go since last year.  Spending so much time in the hospital I got used to very low maintenance on that.  Never used to pin my hair up during the day, but I can now do that and not have to brush it.  Don’t have a bike and couldn’t use it if I did.  Lack of exercise is really doing me in.  That and loneliness.  

I don’t even remember what it is to feel good.  If I get a few hours sleep without pain, that’s as close as I get.  I’m trying to get my head wrapped around that even when this quarantine is over, the world will still be changed from things learned to survive it.  Job and how thy are done may change,  how people interact will change.  I wish I had something to look forward to like friends or family I’ll finally get to hug again.  If we were freed tomorrow there would be no one to do that with for me.  I’d be able to see docs and get medical tests easily again, that’s it and that’s really depressing.  All of you waiting on seein your family are so fortunate.  Those with close friends too.  

• Like 4

You remember I am a southern girl.  I cannot have corn bread, purple hull peas, speckled  butter beans with the dark soup that they make (I can have the liquid), no onions at all, no peppers of any kind, no big sliced fresh tomatoes, no cucumber, onion, little yellow tomato in a heated sweet vinegar to go with all the veggies, no more corn on the cob, ever, nothing with corn in it.  But, I can have whipped potatoes, gravy, chicken, green snap beans (the long ones), cooked spinach, and I can have grits.  Why grits???  I do not know, but the fiber count is real low.  I have learned to use it in a substitute for corn meal with a little self rising flour and buttermilk, egg and cook like corn bread.  (for me).  I can no longer eat the crisp carrots, stuffed celery, anything with fruit skin, potato skins, or fruit seeds.  I'm lucky because you can buy it seedless and I cook those baby carrots with butter and brown sugar and to look at me now you know I am not missing out on a darn thing.  I used to eat those big tomatoes sliced with Miracle Whip for a sandwich.  I miss Mexican food, but sometimes restaurants will cut up and fry the flour tortillas for me  and I can dip them in hot sauce if is just taste it, no seeds..  It has made me live over six years from something that most people do not live from.  So, I stick to the diet and eat my sour cream cake, my ice cream, my chicken fried steak with white gravy, green beans, fried and mashed  potatoes.  Okay, I'm ready to eat.  I like dipping chicken tenders in white gravy.  Those two things got me out of the hospital.  Poor me.  (I have not eat today, you can tell).  I have to dehydrate myself and not eat anything when I make a trip and I went a little way up into Arkansas today.  I made it just fine.  

I saw one woman who predicted this pandemic.  She predicted it was going to get worse.  I sure hope she does not know what she is talking about.  My imaginative mind discards some things and some things haunt me.  I'm gonna discard this.  

I do crave raw veggies Gwen.  If I gave in though I would be praying to those seven crosses in front of my "necessity" "Dear God, I promise not to eat that again" and he just laughs at me.  

I did say I repeat myself often now.  I just hope I remember to repeat the same thing.  Scatter brained. 

• Like 2

Gads, you poor thing.  No onions, cucumber, crisp raw fruit, and corn?  I don’t do on the cob now without Steve here, but canned and frozen are so good too.  And baked potatoes?  I make meals of those with butter and shredded cheese.  Can you have cheese?  I don’t know what grits or purple hull beans are.  That’s southern stuff.  I don’t know what I’d do without apples.  An apple a day and all that.  Can you have chicken nuggets like MacDonalds?  Those are decadent to me with the breading Nd all, but some tasty sauces.   At least you get ice cream.  I’m still reeling about no chocolate.  I wasn’t a sweet eater til about 15 years ago and discovered dark chocolate as an adult.  Cannot turn it down.  I just found some new toffee peanut M&M's.  Could live without the peanuts as I have PB every day, but like to try new things.  So sorry, shouldn’t be talking this taboo food to you.  I take it even your ice cream choices are limited.  How about crackers, potato chips and other snacks with no nutritional value?  You get to have those?  Hot dogs?  

I sure and nosy, aren’t I?  😳

• Like 2

Was told I could have PB.  I had about four T. on crackers and then learned I was only supposed to have one T a day.  Not worth the effort.  I can have hot dogs, no onions.  I can have apple sauce and baked apples, as long as no skin.  I can have baked potatoes as long as I don't eat the skin.  I guarantee you, I have not suffered (unless I eat the stuff).  No pecans or coconut, but I can have the flavors.  Will have to do.  Not much cheese.  Actually not supposed to have any, you know what cheese can do.  I don't miss the chocolate.  I tried it.  

• Like 1

I was allergic to any trace of onion, garlic, tomato, fish, asparagus, lillies (same family as onion & garlic), leeks for 14 years.  Never got asparagus or fish back.  Can have tomato and garlic in limitation, never went back to eating as much onion as before (I was in an Italian family for 23 years so this was hard).  Can't have fish in the house because I can't breathe or touch it as well as ingest it.

No carrots for me either or fruit except berries, too high in sugar.  No potatoes, pasta, rice, bread, sugar.  I threw away everything in my cupboards.  I'm limited on peanut butter too as it's 8 carbs per serving (2 Tbsp) and I can only have 20 carbs/day.  Red sauces raise my BS too much.  Can have the no sugar added coconut but it doesn't taste as good and way more expensive.  I paid nearly $8 for 7 oz sugar free chocolate chips, will save it for Christmas to make a treat, too expensive for my blood.  Most of the substitutes I can have cost many times over what the original was.

Marg, you and I's limitations are opposite.  I try to focus on what I CAN have not what I've left behind, this is my life we're talking about, I have to make this work.

• Like 1

I'm following Kay and Georges meal plans...but I'm slowly getting rid of the spuds and carrots at 10 carbs day, holding  to 25 grams total.......all the goodies are gone ....Now good news is Blood Sugar down 25%!      blood pressure down  10 points...........and weight down 7 lbs....all since Easter...This lockdown has a few benefits, will pick up the walking  next week...Planted spinach and Kale, it can handle frost....big hopes on my sunflowers this year....take care and stay safe..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Marg, you and I's limitations are opposite.  I try to focus on what I CAN have not what I've left behind, this is my life we're talking about, I have to make this work.

I can have all starches, very limited fiber.  Definitely not healthy.  I am too overweight, but I cannot blame it on the diet.  I have let myself go terribly.  I did that after Scott was born and would wear only Muumuu's.  Billy banned them.  Made me angry, but made me see myself.  He is not  here to ban anything and the only reason for losing weight is for health reasons.  I have not begun to live yet.  Fixing to get on my sit-down bicycle.  My knee hurts too much to do much walking, but I really have no excuse except "I really don't care."  That is not good, I know, but it is what it is.  If I outlive my first heart attack, I might change my attitude.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kayc said:

IMarg, you and I's limitations are opposite.  I try to focus on what I CAN have not what I've left behind, this is my life we're talking about, I have to make this work.

I think you both are focusing on what you can have.  Saying what you can’t isn’t bad.  It’s normal to miss things.  Of course it’s your life, just as it is Marg's.  I’m sure you didn’t mean to, but I read the above as kinda judgemental.  Perhaps I am overstepping bounds as this was a response to Marg, but we’ve always said what we feel here.  Safely.  So my apologies if I stuck my nose in where it didn’t belong.

• Like 1

My classmate who was in the nursing home because of dementia (wet brain), she died this morning at 2:00 a.m.  Alone.  She will be cremated, just like my friend of 2-3 weeks ago.  But they were here.  They were vital people in the life of many people.  Poof, they are gone, not even an obituary.  How they wanted it.  Me too.  My friend used to send me pictures where she had busted some part of her face hitting the tub or lavatory.  We all knew she drank wine, large quantities of it.  She was the life of the party, the "will do anything" girl in school.  We loved her.  She will be missed by many friends.  Before the NH she had her license taken away from her.  Once a mother, wife, employed by a big company, husband a lawyer, two children, about six grandchildren, even without the quarantine, she would have died alone.  I guess we all do.

Gwen, as far as the judgement, if it was me doing it, I have become a cynical old crone.  Probably won't apologize.  (I don't think it was me though).  But, we never see ourselves as others see us.  

I feel I have lost almost two sisters in less than a month.  I hear my friend Hettie, "Margaret, at our age we are going to lose our classmates."  And I think of the author William Saroyan who said:  “Everybody has got to die, but I have always believed an exception would be made in my case.”

If it wasn't me, all I can say is dieting makes us all cranky.  

My religion makes me believe my other friend was waiting with open arms to welcome this friend, as in a small town, we never truly leave, no matter how far away we travel.  

• Like 1

I do think "poor me" because I cannot have all my old southern dishes.  All the fresh vegetables.  I don't know where my blood sugar is, I won't let them draw my blood.  I do know all the symptoms of diabetes (typing it for 43 years) and my daughter has it from an antidepressant they tried her on for bipolar.  (One of the side effects, too  bad).  I know the amount of starches I am allowed, to a diabetic sounds ridiculous.  I am being sarcastic talking about it, but in reality, I know it is diabetes or a heart attack waiting to happen.  Who wouldn't want  to drown in a mountain of mashed potatoes with butter running down the sides?  Of course it will kill a person.  We've all gotta go sometimes though and instead of those 50 morphine tablets I hoarded when Billy died, the 3rd day  finding this site, somehow that mountain of mashed potatoes seems a better way to go than the way I planned.  It is what it is.  I'm proud of all y'all getting healthy.  We do have to give up a lot to live.  Myself, it is no trouble to stay away from the things I cannot have, I have sat in front of my seven crosses praying, please God, I won't eat that again, and you know God is laughing at me, and Billy is saying, "just wait, she'll do it again."  (But I really won't, some of the things).  

• Like 3

I admire your fortitude, Marg.  I am not to be trusted on some things I overdue it on.  Potato chips are the worst!  When Steve was here I could say 'help' and he would take the bag from me.  Now that I’m on my own it’s downright dangerous with salt and me.  I try and not buy stuff I know I’ll overindulge in but always say this time I’ll have more control.  Never works!  😎

• Like 1

Besides chicken tenders dipped in white gravy, my other favorite is French fries dipped in Sriracha-Mayo sauce.  Brianna took away my Cheetos, so I substitute cheddar cheese/sour cream potato chips..........yes, if I make it to in the morning I am gonna start the sitting down bicycle.  (I did buy the baby aspirin (new bottle) today, I have been taking one a night).  I won't be able to choose how I go but I hope I am not sitting on my "necessity" in front of my crosses and I don't want Brianna to find me.  My friend did not have family with her this morning when she "left."  We don't have a choice, as we all know. 

I’m sorry about your friend and the other you lost recently too.  I remember my mom and the other older relatives losing people and each other.  I had 4 aunts and uncles and it was so strange when they were all gone.  Technically we die alone, but it sure would be nice to see someone I loved at the time.  There is no one here for that.  I guess some just take it in stride like the nursing home residents.  They know there’s only one way out.  I can’t imagine how that feels.  At the rate I am breaking down, who knows where I’ll be.  I hope I won’t be found in the shower or collapse in a public place tho that would at least get me noticed.  No one checks on me regularly so that’s a worry.

sour cream and cheese are a fav of mine, but sour cream and onion win.  What was wrong with Cheetos?  

21 hours ago, kevin said:

I'm following Kay and Georges meal plans...but I'm slowly getting rid of the spuds and carrots at 10 carbs day, holding  to 25 grams total.......all the goodies are gone ....Now good news is Blood Sugar down 25%!      blood pressure down  10 points...........and weight down 7 lbs....all since Easter...This lockdown has a few benefits, will pick up the walking  next week...Planted spinach and Kale, it can handle frost....big hopes on my sunflowers this year....take care and stay safe..

Kevin, that is great!  Esp. for such a short time, the first month my BS was all over the place but I was losing weight, after that my BS really came down.  Takes a while to get the sugars out of your body.  You'll be amazed.  I've been told 20 gr carbs for women, 50 for men so that gives you more leeway.

17 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I think you both are focusing on what you can have.  Saying what you can’t isn’t bad.  It’s normal to miss things.  Of course it’s your life, just as it is Marg's.  I’m sure you didn’t mean to, but I read the above as kinda judgemental.  Perhaps I am overstepping bounds as this was a response to Marg, but we’ve always said what we feel here.  Safely.  So my apologies if I stuck my nose in where it didn’t belong.

I was kind of stunned to read this.  No I am NOT judging Marg, how could I?  Just stating how I focus, just as she does.  Just stating her and I both have polar opposite dietary limitations, just as my friend Jim does.  If him and I were together we wouldn't be able to eat much in common other than meat.  Wow, I was really blown away you took it that way.  My heart goes out to Marg, we are both battling a hard battle, it's good she's not Diabetic.  My sister Polly is Diabetic and the only things she can tolerate are things that are bad for Diabetes, rice, etc.  I don't know how she does it.  Her Diabetes wasn't as progressed at mine so that's good, she isn't on medication for it.  I still haven't been able to ditch mine.

• Like 1