Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

4 hours ago, kayc said:

I was kind of stunned to read this.  No I am NOT judging Marg, how could I?  Just stating how I focus, just as she does.  Just stating her and I both have polar opposite dietary limitations, just as my friend Jim does.  Wow, I was really blown away you took it that way. 

I’m sorry Kay.  I think it was just one of those days I read things from a really depressed perspective.  I know you enough after all these years that you wouldn’t judge.  Maybe it’s because I’ve been being judged lately on some things and I carried it over.n I do apologize.  Words are hard to interpret sometimes without inflection.  Or with different moods.  

• Like 1

Looking back I can see how you thought that from the context, but my mind jumps sometimes and it honestly was just my own personal affirmation that I thought aloud as I have for the last four months.  I'd never judge Marg, my gosh what she's been through and continues to go through!  She does all that she does for her family and still manages a great sense of humor and contributes here!

• Like 2

I think this  Keto group is more of a combination heath /cooking/wellness  support....and everyone is different but Diabetes is the common thread.......I'm getting some not bad recipes and health tips......  Opening things up a bit here......we have nobody(Covid)reported  sick within  50 miles....

• Like 3

The other day someone talking about back/knee issues, and the Doc on TV gave a 6 to 1 ratio of every pound of extra weight was times 6 on your joints...To stick around for a few more Christmas"s I better keep my blood sugar in check.......Have a good week-end...And Happy Mothers Day to the Mothers out there.....

• Like 4

Ahh, thank you, Kevin!  I posted the taco salad I made today, it was really good!  It is like learning to cook all over again, minus the carbs, but I'm starting to catch on.  You're seeing changes and it'll just continue escalating with good results!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

You two need a taste tester?  😁

Here you go, Gwen!

DSCN0967.JPG

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

On 5/6/2020 at 1:44 AM, Gwenivere said:

What was wrong with Cheetos?

Gwen, they are made of corn.  Now, I can substitute flour tortilla's fried and cut into chips in baskets like we get at Mexican restaurants.  I can dip them in the hot sauce (as long as I don't pick up seeds.  I can have the cheese to dip them in too, as long as no pepper skins or seeds.  So see, I'm doing just fine, fat and sassy.  I do miss them, and I had cheated with the Cheetos but Bri read what was in them.  I didn't read, I just ate.  The worse reactions I have had was a new potato chip made with potato skins and anything with chocolate.  Cholesterol and arteries are my last worry.  Going for one day without visiting my "necessity" many times (I have to take MiraLax each night), now, that worries me.  Thought I could have watermelon, but no, cannot have that at all.  But I can have cantaloupes.  So, I'm not hurting, unless I go off the diet.  Remember that song by Willie (Maybe Merle Haggard with him) about "Seven Spanish Angels"?  That is what I think of when I look at my seven crosses directly in front of my "necessity."  I think the diet is no different than people with Crohn's disease or severe irritable bowel syndrome.  I don't know if I sent this off. It was still in my box.  So if it is a repeat, just consider the source.

That picture with the olives looks wonderful.  Olives were one of my favorites.  I would buy a small can of the black olives and eat the whole can.  No, I cannot have them or anything on the plate, but a taco salad was one of my favorites.  I can still have the flour tortilla's so, I'm not totally left out.  

• Like 2

Gotcha Marg.  I don’t do much corn, but when I want Fritos or canned I love it.  Didn’t know Cheetos had corn, makes sense tho.  My cousin has Chrohns and I’m guessing there are things she has to avoid.  Was all this caused by your cancer.   What are these 7 crosses?  

Taco salad is a fav of mine too sans the sour cream or gaucamole if that’s in it.  I like the ones that come in the flour 'bowls'.  Black olives are so good.  Way back when a girl friend and I would make nachos.  Didn’t have shredded cheese back then, had to do it yourself with a grater.  Liked we could make our way with way more stuff than restaurants. Add in onions.  Lots of salsa.  Couldn’t eat NM salsa now that I have been away from it so long.  She made red chili too that would have me sweating now.  Steve and I would order green chili from there and soak and roast it.  Had bags in the freezer for months.  Even that was hard inhands if you had any cuts, really stung.  But so worth it.   Now it’s bland canned green chili if I need any.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Gwenivere said:

What are these 7 crosses?  

Sitting on my "necessity" they are the images I say "Please God, I promise not to eat that anymore if you just stop the pain."  I know he laughs at me, but I meant it about chocolate.  Yep, the radiation made my colon rupture and it had been going on for two weeks with high fever but I would not go to the hospital.  Went to doctor, treated UTI, but finally went comatose and they called ambulance.  Took 32 years for the damage to happen.  Now nothing will hold a stitch or glue, so those seven crosses are my form of symbolism.  We do what we can.  

• Like 3

KayC, that salad looks a little "Mediterranean "..I think I'll add some Feta and make one tomorrow...thanks.....Granddaughter today is eating wagon wheels, pancakes, and Marshmallows tonight..I take care of the fire and will sneak a Marshmallow..

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 2:41 PM, Marg M said:

But I can have cantaloupes

Hey, we DO have a common item we can eat!  I need to buy one next time I get groceries, as long as I eat a moderate portion at a time I'm good with that, esp. if it's early in the day.  I've learned that the time on the clock does make a difference to my B.S.

Sorry you can't have anything on the plate, my sister Polly can't either (severe IBS), she can't have cauliflower and that's one of my main stays.  And no spices.  I am so sorry for her, she has her husband, thankfully but the rest of her life sucks, blind, super restricted diet, blind, a lot of pain for many years now.

On 5/8/2020 at 7:37 PM, Gwenivere said:

Didn’t have shredded cheese back then, had to do it yourself with a grater.

I still grate my own cheese.  I have this super nice food processor but it doesn't grate decent so I do it by hand, not easy with my arthritis but I do it (remember I can't do something until I finish), then put it  in a ziploc bag and freeze it.  If I need it for what I'm cooking, I put some in a baggie in the refrigerator the day ahead of time.  I keep cheddar and mozerella in there as I use them frequently.

Kevin, glad you have your granddaughter, I haven't been able to see mine because of this lockdown, it's been two months now.  :(

• Like 1

Kay, don't know where I saw you mention we can have this.  (Cantaloupes).  Over the years you find some have no flavor, but look great.  In Hot Springs, I could find none by Pecos.  I know that is a little sandy town off one of the interstates in Texas, we had an RV park there that was one of our membership parks.  The land is sandy, desert type conditions, but they grow the sweetest cantaloupes I have ever found.  I thought maybe I could find them in Shreveport/Bossier at one time because maybe on a shipment route.  Not so in Arkansas.  I am going to look at Kroger in Bossier for the Pecos brand.  Buy them if you can.  I found an apple from up in Washington state, cannot remember the name but they were huge, sweet and crisp.  I can eat them if they are baked, without the skin, and will look for them also.  I think the word "Pacific" was in the name of the apple.  Still lots of healthy food.  For the past five years I have had no urgency in good foods.  Ice cream, cake, sugar and flour sounded pretty good to me.  Not one to live on, one to die on, and I guess I really have not cared.  Will try to take more of an interest in me and there are healthy things I can eat.   Guess you can commit suicide lots of ways without even realizing it, you have to care.  

seuss.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kayc said:

I still grate my own cheese. 

This is related to nothing really.  I used the hand held grater for years, until it broke.  It had been Mama's.  They got married in 1940.  It is rusted out.  I am not too nostalgic, and it is broke, but I think about my mom using it that many years ago and I just could not throw it away, so I hung it on the wall.  "Not too  nostalgic" and I'm the one who sleeps with her husband's everyday clothes packed into a king sized pillow sham and sleep beside it.  Also, plan on cremated remains mixed with mine in cardboard box in our plot next to my uncle and aunt, behind my mom and dad and grandparents.  No, I'm not nostalgic.  

Happy Mother's Day for all you mothers and fur baby mothers, and aunts, grandma's, all you women.  My kids just went to curbside pickup all their Mexican food (hamburger, no seeds, no veggies, French Fries.)  

• Like 5

I, too, hope all you mothers had the best of a day that is so restricted.  I saw lots of people buying balloons and flowers over the weekend.   Guess they could be left outside for their moms to retrieve.  Saw some people on the news in masks visiting their moms but with chairs placed very far apart and all outside.

my kids didn’t get me any of those things, but they wagged their tails more enthusiastically for breakfast.  We had a record breaking heat day so Melody let me off the hook for throwing the ball much.  

So, Marg, do you still grate from scratch or buy the pregrated cheese now?  I like the mixes they have of several cheeses and I don’t scrape my knuckles anymore.  I still have a couple of things my mom used.  Mostly stirring spoons.  One very aged cookie sheet in the oven.  Decades of stuff on it that has stained it.  Mine are pristine as I had Pam and lined with foil otherwise.  A trick Steve taught me so no cleaning!  Always felt silly he thought of that.  He did say his mom told him he better learn to cook as the wife in the kitchen may not be the norm as we evolved.  Wish she taught him how to clean up or as you go.  My mom had that down to a science.  Except for pasta, I’d clean pots and pans while dinner cooled to eating temp,  

• Like 3

Bri washes dishes, but I learned if you put a top on your rice, other things, it will empty out into wastebasket easily.  Also the foil trick and the Pam.  I spray Pam into my wax melters, they just pop out when they are cool and don't smell anymore.  Mostly, I don't cook.  Hurts my back to stand at cabinets too long.  

As the old saying goes, "when the cheese gets binding" means I stay away from cheese, but somehow I get away with eating macaroni and cheese from boxes.  Maybe not real cheese.  

I'm not good to buy anything for.  Kelli buys me a bunch of things I might use, simple things, and Scott says "what can I get you Mama."  I don't want for anything material in this world, but when the malls were open he would get me lotions from the Bath and Body Works place, or whatever it is called.  I kinda feel like my grandma.  She wanted for nothing material, so she would go put her presents from her six kids in drawers in her room.  Christmas came around and she would rewrap them and give them as gifts.  Many a time one of the girls would say "I just bought that for her birthday" and I feel like my Grandma.  I'm just no fun at all.  

• Like 3

1/2 cup Cantelope is 6.5 carbs so I can fit that into my daily allowance.  I didn't mention it until yesterday in response to your mention of it.  Didn't think of it so glad you mentioned it!  I think Costco has the best ones.  I was always told to smell where the stem was, if it has a strong sweet smell, it's a good one!

9 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I don’t scrape my knuckles anymore.

That gave me a chuckle!  Grating is hard work and dangerous too!

My George was good at cleaning up, little unobtrusive things he'd do, straighten the afghan, put things away, wipe down the counters, it helped and I noticed.  God I miss that man!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Graters, I get my fingertips now and then........Just bought a bag of mozzarella shredded...making a Zuccini  Lasagna......no pasta..May also use Eggplant because I have one....Golf tomorrow but will use a cart one week only.....  Summer is arriving finally...all kinds of travel restrictions...

• Like 1

So you do t buy the shredded cheese either, Kevin?  What is with you people?  Are you masochists? 😁

my grocery often has sales on blocks or shredded, same price and weight.  Just can’t imagine making more work for myself.  Plus you get funky looking blocks and that very end piece you can’t do anything with but eat as is.  And how do you make a pasta dish without pasta?  That sounds like a stew type dish.  Do tell how you’d make spaghetti and meatballs with the spaghetti.  Or macaroni salad.  Just mayo, celery and egg chunks?  I’m messing with ya.

I’m a happy slave to carbs!  You’re allowed some with diabetes, aren’t you?  I’m no expert as I only thought you had to avoid sugar til I learned carbs become sugar or whatever makes your numbers rise.  If only it were as simple as not eating candy.  Lots of diabetics where I volunteer.  Type 1 with injections.  One woman was religious about keeping her carbs at 43 at dinner.  Said she payed for it later if she didn’t.  Another guy ate anything he pleased and only recently gave up apple juice with dinner for water.  It’s not the same, but I have to keep track of my anxiety meds all day too.  Not enough and edgy, too much and lightheaded.  

• Like 1

Until this quarantine, I shopped for food at the deli.  Any deli.  And, I use nothing but shredded cheese, but when I could eat it, I ate a whole nice sized wedge.  But, I still have shredders.  It is past 1:00 a.m. and I want to go read.  Actually, I'm playing this game.  How long can I read, how long can I stay up and how long I can sleep the next day.  Today it was 1:30 p.m.  I'm so bored.  I don't even feel like writing my usual word salad.  This ole world is one crazy effing place.  

• Like 2

Here's a silly positive for me. Starz is having a free weekend so I'm able to watch Season 5 of Outlander(my favorite series). Oh to be 50 years younger😁

• Like 1

Replied to your sleeping thing in my vent topic, Marg.  I get it.  I don’t do it, but I sure get it.  I’m getting to bed close to 5am too.  I could go on sleeping too.  But noon hits and I drag myself up.  Not being on a schedule creates extreme anxiety fir me or I’d do it.  I look at that Xanax bottle and go gee, sure would be nice if it would do more.  I can take more but then I’d be afraid to drive and I gotta get out for at least an hour.  Today itp will be for cooked ribs at Safeway and a sub to cover me for the weekend.  I 'cook' Monday thru Thursday when just eating is a chore in itself.  It’s nuts as I have so much food here.  But that mean rinsing stuff off to put in he dushwasher high meansit will get full and need to be run,emptied and start all over again.  If that isn’t a sign of massive depression I don’t know what is.  

Enjoy the show, Karen.  Wish I had kept up with it.  I could thru Netflix but have moved to Big Little Lies.  Aldo watching Lincoln Ryhme about the bone collector.  Good show about a vain detective.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Do tell how you’d make spaghetti and meatballs with the spaghetti.

You use cauliflower rice, but red sauce is too high in carbs for Diabetics so can't use much of it.  Still the cauliflower rice is more flavorful than rice and moist so it doesn't require much sauce.  And you can add other things for flavor, garlic and Parmesan.

11 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

So you do t buy the shredded cheese either, Kevin?  What is with you people?  Are you masochists? 😁

No, we'd love to buy it but it has carbs (that dreaded thing again!) because they add something to it probably to keep it from sticking together, so we grate our own.  Anything to save on carbs.

I try to stay under 20 carbs a day and STILL my blood sugar is not where I'd like to see it.  Today 115, wish it were 90.  Oh well, I'm doing my best, that's all I can do!  If you read the carbs per serving on things you buy you'd be astounded that I keep mine so low, no easy feat!  This is the lowest it's been though, since diagnosis, about ten years ago.  Some Diabetics can get away with more than others, I think mine was more progressed before I did anything about it.  The doctor had me on Rxs but it doesn't control it or make up for your eating wrong, and I would LOVE to get off the Rxs someday!  It's my goal, no matter how long it takes to get there.  They cause kidney damage.

7 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

But that mean rinsing stuff off to put in he dushwasher high meansit will get full and need to be run,emptied and start all over again.

Paper plates.  That's all my FIL used.

• Like 1