Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

My positive:  I got my blood test results back yesterday and I was elated!  Everything was normal except my cholesterol was slightly over range and my triglycerides still too high although both had greatly improved.  My white blood cell count and platelets had been high and going higher every year and even that came down to normal!  My A1C and glucose, normal!  I know this doesn't sound exciting to you folks but it is major victory for me, I am so happy!  Everything I've read about Keto is now proven above and beyond to be working for me!  And my weight at 127, which is what I weighed when George and I got married 19 years ago (I haven't been that low since)...it does NOT look like it did back then, however, but that's okay, at least  I'm healthy!  And other than more around my waist, the rest of me is well defined, even if too much skin here and there.  I'm blown away that I could make such a difference in less than five months!  Even my calcium, which has been too high, is now normal!

Gwen, I'm glad you got your IRS refund back!  Yes and dark chocolate.  Isn't that one of the food groups?  :D

• Like 3

I discovered brownies!  A meal that was given to me had one in it.  I’ve tasted them before, but never got into them.  This had chocolate chips in it.  Truly decadent.  A week ago I had one with icing.  I have chocolate always after dinner, usually individual pieces.  But I did buy those white and pink circus iced animals cookies.  I’m not a cookie person normally.  I’m also addicted to raisins lately.  Pretzels too.  Funny how this isolation is creating new cravings.  Safeway has $5 deals on Fridays.  This week iis half rack of ribs.  I’m there for that.  I’ve been noticing lots of people when shopping are stocking up more snacks.  The chip aisle is always bustling now, sale or not.  Got 5 bags myself.  I bought an individual bag of the new MM's with toffee and peanuts.  Blah.  Thru them out for the crows and rodents.....they even passed them up! Need the seagulls to come inland.  They eat anything.  

Got a nice surprise that my IRS refund got deposited.  Just in time to pay for home owner stuff.  Need a tree down and the roof cleared off. Maybe a little left over for some dark chocolate.  😎 

• Like 1

Geez, my post just keeps being repeated when I try to delete the duplicate.  HELP MARTY!

Congrats Kay on your good news health wise.  That is so important.  I know my outlook would be much better if mine were good.  I think we’ve all shifted in various places as I weigh the same as I always have, but clothes feel and look different.

I’m a little down on the tax refund because even tho there are projects needed and can paid for, we definitely would have bought something fun like a new TV.  Steve wanted to upgrade years ago.  Doesn’t really appeal if I don’t get to watch him set it up, cuss about this or that and finally win.  Best Buy people don’t motivate me plus it’s not a big deal without him.  Pretty much nothing is.  

My neighbors mowed my lawn!  There’s a positive.  That got balanced out by a letter from the gas company about my leased water heater and how they want to do something to get out of doing that.  Hopefully another company will take that I’ve as I don’t want to own it for service reasons.  

Had to set up my health insurance recurring payments as they changed systems.  Rep thinks I did it right.

as I have begged each day.......please......just one without complications.  Still waiting.

• Like 3

My son installed instant hot water (electrical instead of water tank) at his house, I'd love one of those as you don't have to worry about the tank leaking or hot water heater quitting.  My first one lasted 30 years, most don't make it that long anymore.  Like refrigerators...my first one lasted 36 years, next one 5 1/2.

• Like 1

It heats it instantly  when it hits the plumbing it draws from.  He has it in his utility room, it's all electrical, no stored water other than the tank where it comes from the well.  Takes up very little room too so you can use the space where the hot water tank was for other things!  They're using their space to put shoes, coats, etc when they come in.

Billy's dog Ty, he was a Boykin Spaniel.   He was about three months old, his first outing.  We walked around Soda Lake Wildlife Management area in North Shreveport.  We had our RV parked on the bluff of the bayou.  There were some little lakes and he was so excited.  This was in the bad part of winter, he had never been out in water and he ran ahead of us and just dived into one of the ponds.  Had to be freezing.  Didn't phase him at all.  He was happiest when he would jump in the water and dive down looking for something we threw into the water.  I love to see those pups having so much fun in the water.  Sometimes I wanted Billy to go get him he would stay down so long.  Beautiful smart fur baby, grew into an old man and his partner was a blue heeler.  She passed away first and his pretty fur had so much gray in it.  Billy named him after Titus Bass, a character in a book.  He grew old many, many years ago, like we all do.  

• Like 2

So cute, Gwen, I had to post it on FB!

• Like 1

Gwen:  Thanks for the smile.  Labs are such wonderful dogs always looking to have fun and play.  I used to be a cat person until my son adopted a black Lab, named Star.  When he went off to college we got to take care of her until he was back home.  Was so fun to have her in our life.  She went everywhere with us and especially to Hood Canal where she would head for the water as soon as we got there.  Many happy memories of her.  Maddie is an Australian Shepard mix and hates water.  She'd jump over that puddle. LOL.  Dee

• Like 2

Yup, labs = water in any form.  Our last golden retriever was nuts for it too.  I don’t know about Melody.  I couldn’t get her anywhere to find out.  Now it’s too late.  I can’t get me anywhere for the walks.  I took the kids to Lake Washington and Edmonds, Dee.  Then it was long walks back to the car or driving around a long time so they’d dry off mostly.  My old walking partner got his Saluki to swim and they are desert dogs.  I saw some messy dogs like yours that really kicked up fusses at the dog park if there was mud as they had hoses to rinse them off.  You’d have to recruit help or tie them to a post and hope they forgave you later.  

• Like 1

Gwen:  In fact that is how I have to bathe Miss Maddie.  I fill the kiddie pool with warm water than attach her leash to the deck post so she doesn't escape.  Bathe her quickly, rinse her and  towel dry as much as I can and let her lay in the warm sun to dry.  Her coat is pretty dense and thick = kinda like a sheep.  Those sad brown eyes make me feel so guilty.  She always gets a treat for putting up with this abuse. 

Had never heard of a Saluki dog.  Googled it.  What a beautiful animal.

Dee

• Like 2

They truly are and to watch them run is a sight to behold as they are sight driven.  Not very affectionate dogs tho.  Obstinate too.  Definitely not cuddlers.  They do like to herds but. My buddy took his to a sheep place for dogs like birder collies.  They cracked me up at the off leash parks trying to herd crazed dogs running eveywhere.  The other dogs would look at them like....what are you doing?  Get outta my way!

Seems just about anything is forgivable with a treat.  What gets me is it could be a bite of a burger or a bland milk one.  They don’t care as long as it’s edible.  My kids eat so much people food. They only turn their noses up at citrus.  Beg me every time I have an orange and always spit it out.  Peanut butter is the staple for treats, luring, rewards and most importantly hiding pills.  

• Like 2

I bought a kiddie pool to bathe Marley. She hates water. Wouldn't go near it. She avoids the yard sprinkler. Tatum thinks she is a fish. Loves the water. Loves to lay under the sprinkler and "bite"  the water. They just get bathed with the hose.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

tie them to a post and hope they forgave you later.

We had to do that to Skye and Arlie a time or two!  Arlie wasn't into water but could have fun with mud...Skye literally guarded the kiddie pool at the dog park, laying in it and growling at any dog that would come near it!  It was hilarious as he was gentle and so crippled he couldn't walk by then, what was he going to do?  They left him alone.  Huskies generally love water, but Arlie was the exception.  I haven't been able to take Kodie to the river yet as it's closed off.

7 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

They only turn their noses up at citrus.

Kodie eats anything/everything!  Kale, cabbage, radishes, nothing he won't eat.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KarenK said:

They just get bathed with the hose.

Am waiting for the weather to warm up and stay in the high 60's for a few days so I can clean off my messy deck that is covered in small male fir cones right now -- all the small cones and stuff that's falling every minute.  Was thinking today how nice it must be to live somewhere where there aren't fir trees.   The sunshine also will aide in drying  Maddie's thick coat.  Can't even think about a hair dryer, she would have a heart attack.  I can't even turn on my vacuum cleaner without her shaking to death.  Such a wuss she is.  LOL .  Dee

'

• Like 2

I remember a cartoon I saw that had a couple of dogs laughing about another dog who was afraid of hair dryers.  Then they said....but vacuum cleaners....yeah, everybody’s scared if those things.  :)

my kids have never experienced hair dryers, think Ally would take it stride.  Mel would be like Maddie.  Plus she empties her anal glands when she is scared....it’s a mess!  Even going for brushing or nail trims it happens.  Talk about wusses!  

• Like 2

Isn't it funny how dogs(especially big ones) are all ferocious and brave until you turn on the vacuum. Then they run for the hills. Our dogs don't like yelling either, which my grandson does a lot. They cower or run to me for safety. I know he loves them, but doesn't seem to care that he's frightening them. Hope he wakes up one day.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, widow'15 said:

I can't even turn on my vacuum cleaner without her shaking to death.  Such a wuss she is.  LOL

Arlie was scared of them and would run and hide.  Kodie, however is more of an imp, preferring to "challenge it" and play with it.  If I pretend to go after him with it, he's all about it!  :D

• Like 2

Our dogs knew profanity.  If I said something with cussing they’d be all over me trying to make it better.  Crying was a big trigger for them too.  Ally can’t hear me anymore and Mel was just raised by me so doesn’t get the cue's from Steve that hows something is wrong.  She just hears me talk on the phone or to myself all the time.  Unless specifically directed at her, I’m tuned out.  We never yelled so I don’t know how’d they react.  Well, they would bark if we yelled at someone outside.  Never did in here.  I yell at them now but thy think I’m.playing.  Most infuriating.  Leads to more yelling and the cycle goes on.  😤

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

my kids have never experienced hair dryers, think Ally would take it stride.  Mel would be like Maddie.

I used to take Maddie to Petco to be groomed and bathed.  I think those huge awful hair dryers created her fear of the vacuum cleaner.  The sound is similar.  She would get so upset when we drove up to the shop, I decided I couldn't do that to her anymore.  She has to put up with me trying to trim and bathe her white fluffy self.   Dee

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I yell at them now but thy think I’m.playing.

Uh-huh!  I know how that goes!  Kodie thinks everything is fun and a game, even when I'm mad at him!  This morning he chewed up my printer cable, of course there's nowhere to buy one here and I can't go shopping around looking for fear of increasing my odds of getting this virus, so I ordered one on line, it'll be 1 1/2 weeks before I get it so no printing shipping labels or recipes for me!  Sometimes he talks back when I get mad at him.  He looks so darn cute but I try not to let that show.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I hope she had a great birthday and you too!  Looks like so much fun!  My son took his daughter out on a speedboat for her 5th birthday, she loved it!  She said, "Daddy, WE should get one!"  So he did!  He found a great deal for $350 (he's the greatest shopper!) he'll have to make new seats and do a bit of work on the engine but otherwise it's in great shape!
You all know how to have fun!