Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Positives.  You would think it would be easy to identify the positives!  They’re there. A sunny day, call from a friend checking on you, an invite to an outdoor socially distant bbq😀 ,  really anything that brings a smile (if only for an instant) to you. This very long thread was inspired. It helped me sit back and think that there are good things and it’s ok to enjoy them. One of my friends gave me a journal and it’s designed for you to write three things you’re grateful for each day. I’ll admit I’ve only written in it sporadically over the last two months but after reading this thread I believe I will get adding some more things daily. This is truly a great place. Thanks aren’t enough. ❤️

• Like 5

My counselor suggested that.  3 being an average.  I can see where it can be a good training exercise to appreciate things we have lost sight of and liked subconsciously.  Sunsets, seeing  (for me) Mt. Rainier, a rose unexpectedly,  my dog wagging her tail.  Some days I struggled to find anything, others there were many.  I haven’t kept it up.  I’d be curious to see how this works for you.  I’m in a spot for inspiration.  

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Littlepeach said:

Positives.  You would think it would be easy to identify the positives!  They’re there. A sunny day, call from a friend checking on you, an invite to an outdoor socially distant bbq,  really anything that brings a smile (if only for an instant) to you. This very long thread was inspired. It helped me sit back and think that there are good things and it’s ok to enjoy them. One of my friends gave me a journal and it’s designed for you to write three things you’re grateful for each day. I’ll admit I’ve only written in it sporadically over the last two months but after reading this thread I believe I will get adding some more things daily. This is truly a great place. Thanks aren’t enough. ❤️

It is what I call the "little joys" in life now that my big joy, George, is gone.  It's an art, one of practice, determining to do it, to look for those little joys, and when recognized, fully grasp and appreciate them...not comparing them to what we once had (comparisons can be real joy breakers!), but practicing the art of living in the present moment.  Of course some days are more challenging than others, but still, I like to look for something good over the day.  Whenever we have a loss, be it a person or physical ability, we realize fully what we had, it's best to appreciate it while it still is!  From time to time it's good to remind ourselves of this!

• Like 4

Your post is excellent, Kay.   My mind is acting the opposite.  I don’t even know how to practice when I got up to another morning of even worse pain.  I look back and it is joy busting.  I look ahead and see feared solutions.  I look at today and see nothing but getting thru it alone.  I can’t even think of anything to do today.  I look at physical abilities that are lost and do appreciate them, but they are gone now so it’s depressing.  I guess I need a lot of practice.  I know comparisons mean very little, but where were you at about 6 years into this?

• Like 2

Let's see, at six years in I busted my nose and my right elbow, had bruises/swelling/cuts all over, sheered off my upper front tooth so I'd have it hold it in place with my tongue during interviews, was laid off all but one day a week, having to drive a stick shift car 100 miles to/from work, trying to get groceries one handed, etc.  It was hard.  I can't even remember my grief at that time because all of life was such a struggle!!  I was scared of losing my home, didn't know what I was going to do, in the recession, no one would hire me as I faced age-discrimination for the first time in my life.  One day at a time. I couldn't afford PT so I download some exercises from a university and did them, fortunately I didn't lose mobility when it finally healed.

My positive today is that I survived yesterday without going ballistic!  We all have days/weeks/months/lives like that, yesterday was a test of my sanity.  ;)

• Like 4

I just got my Slocum (orthopedic evaluation) appt. moved up two weeks...two weeks less pain is my way of looking at it!

• Like 1

Good for you, Kay.  I know you are so anxious to get this going and get some relief.  I sure hope this speeds it up for you.  You’ve been suffering a long time.

in trying to get some pain relief for my left knee I slept on my right side all Tuesday night.  Result.......left lower back agonizing.  Because I have to get out, I went to the market for 2 things on sale.  Of course found other things. If ANYONE knows how to stop buying things just because they are a good deal......help me!   I was talking to my counselor today about how big a part of my life that was when Steve was here.  Never got so overstocked.  Good thing I checked one thing as I found I had 2 back ups already.  I think I need to start taking limited cash for what I plan so I can’t add anything else.  No cheating like slipping my credit card in my pocket.

i canceled my vision check tomorrow as my supplemental insurance when Medicare kicks in in November makes it a copay of $20 instead of $95 if I do it now as this current plan has no vision coverage.   Hated to do it as I really want my reading part updated.  Thank goodness for magnifying glasses.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Has anyone tried the new fudge brownie M&M's?  

No, Gwen have not tried the fudge brownie M&M's.  I enjoy reading how much you enjoy the finer things in life, especially chocolate.  I try not to have such treats in the house cause I am tempted to eat all of them if I know they are anywhere near. 

This past week, Monday thru Wednesday, I had my granddaughter staying with me.  The internet was not working at her house, and being required to have internet service for her on line schooling, she stayed with me.  Those few days were a challenge for me as she does not enjoy my old lady menu, so I ate all the wrong things for myself because it was here.  M&M's would have been welcomed by her I know.  Enjoy your fudge brownie M&M's. 😋  Dee

• Like 2

There’s a method to this madness, Dee.  I buy the individual packs of these new temptation treats.  Unfortunately, this does not cancel out the big bags I have of others.  I also know when I get down to two, I’ll be stocking up again.   I’ll probably cave and buy these.

Ya know, there is little to enjoy these days so I’m going with that.  Plus the Hershey Corp needs our help to stay in business so I figure it’s a good cause.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  

Just wait til you move by your granddaughter.  Aren’t Gramma's supposed to have goodies around?  I think it’s a law.  😁

i cant believe there isn’t a chocolate emoji.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Ya know, there is little to enjoy these days so I’m going with that.  Plus the Hershey Corp needs our help to stay in business so I figure it’s a good cause.  That’s my story and I’m sticking to it.  

Oh yes Gwen, supporting the economy works for me, too.  LOL  Dee😆

Finally made the Trek farther North to see my Great Granddaughter (6 months old).....First time in 10 years I was back in Fort McMurray Alberta.....This Covid didn't interfere too much but restaurants/Hotels  very restrictive...What a cutie pie....

IMG_0105.jpeg

IMG_0106.jpeg

IMG_0102.jpeg

• Like 4

Thanks Kevin.  Adorable.  My oldest great was 17 last month.  I've never seen her.  Her mom lost custody of her (long story) but she is doing great and my granddaughter gets to see her often.  Has custody of the other great, and I've met her.  The first baby picture 17 years ago of the first "great" made me cry and cry, maybe because they  lived so far away from us.  It was a shame she never got to know Billy, he loved his babies.  Glad your getting time with them.  

• Like 1

Great pictures Kevin, and you look the part of doting grandpa!  :D  Thanks for sharing, such a cutie! 

Hard to believe you're talking about GREATS Marg!  I barely have grandchildren!

• 2 weeks later...

I got a donated cookie at a church food program from one of the primo downtown restaurants.   It’s chocolate chip and almost a meal itself.  Broke it into 4 pieces for 4 desserts.  

If you’re an M&M addict like me, check out the fudge brownie new ones.  They give my fav dark chocolate ones a run for the money.  Love the caramel ones too.  Wish they would do coconut, but I guess they’re too small for that.

• Like 1

My favorite M&M was peanut butter but those are out now.  I could have eaten 1/2 bag at a setting!  Love those, they're addictive!

I eat peanut butter just bout every day for lunch and  have for decades.  So I’m not too keen on nuts in any treat.  But I do remember when Reese’s pieces came to light when ET was released.  Rumor was m&M turned them down.  Big mistake!  😁

• Like 1