Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

How cool is that!  I haven't seen a rainbow in a while.  

Went on a walk with my friend Iris (and Kodie, of course!) she was Bella's mom but recently rehomed her so Kodie's heart is broken.  She said Bella is adjusting well to the new owners.  If only we could be so adaptable as animals are!

• Like 2

Adaptable is so very true.  I was just telling Melody last night how I envied that she doesn’t concern herself with much beyond maybe thinking about her next scheduled food time.  And she doesn't even have to prepare it.  She does hate the washer, thunder and if suddenly woken up. Otherwise, no worries.  Trade!🙂

• Like 2

Thank God for music! It's really the only "positive" I have.  I love me some 80's music. It's literally the only thing that relaxes me. I can actually sit and focus on CD's (I have thousands) where I can't on anything else. I get very bored and restless with TV for the most part. The precious 90 minutes I get with my big stereo is the only thing I look forward to. Sometimes I hear songs that remind me of Annette and make me sad- I have to be careful. Right now I'm in a phase of avoiding music that she enjoyed. I can't face them right now. She had a Spotify playlist of her favorite songs that I promise her that I will play, but I just can't do it yet.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

My neighbor just got a seven month old Husky, can't wait to meet her but Kodie can't meet her until she's spade and I don't think the vet is doing that now "because of COVID."  Everyone's excuse anymore.

I'm sorry it brought you pain, Gwen, it's still so fresh.  If I saw a dog like Arlie it would kill me but there are none like him.

• Like 2

Thanks, Kay.  Ally didn’t resemble this dog physically, but the hunger for socializing was so intense.  That is what made her the stand out volunteer way back when.  Why she got kicked out of band practices.  How she made people smile driving around.  Made me feel less depressed sleeping curled up against me.  I miss that and the powerful WHOP WHOP WHOP of her tail.  She knew how to 'talk' to me.  I was so amazed how this Husky nudged me and responded to being petted and talked to.  I fell into that dog voice that is a little higher when talking with him.  

I hope Kodie gets a new friend soon.  I think the vets here are doing spaying.  Yup, getting darned tired of covid.  Never thought my essentials would be sanitizers and masks.  

• Like 1

I had to smile at the whop whop whop of her tail!  The sweet thing about dogs!  If a cat's tail goes back and forth it's usually because they're mad!

I've found Huskies to be very social and loving, Arlie and Kodie have been, so was Skye, Mozzy, and Bruno (granddoggies).  And I miss the Husky "talk" as Kodie doesn't do that, he's a squeaker. ;)

Had to go back out to Costco (60 miles from here) to get my sister some T-paper, wish she'd have mentioned it BEFORE my trip in Thursday!  Her friend was supposed to get it for her but said they were out, I knew better, I went there Thursday!  So I headed out yesterday, then got gas and back to the hospital for COVID testing, had to wait in line for TWO HOURS!  No one warned me about that.  The stupid Orthopedic Clinic told me to go to Peacehealth (can they get anything right?!) and I told them it's not covered under my insurance and the doctor had told me to go to McKenzie Willamette...they put me on hold again and came back and said I was right.  I don't think they've gotten anything right yet.  My appt. for surgery is 1:45 pm so I made sure my driver can drive at night, she has a jeep so 4WD so that's good, it snowed last night.  Getting more all week.  Will stay home and focus on recovering and surviving.

Somehow I knew the elections would not be the end of all this, more drama, tired of everything this year has brought our way!

As soon as Iris gets Jazzie spayed, she can play with Kodie, I'd kind of like to recover first as he'll need a bath afterwards and I won't be able to lift him or struggle with him for a while.   He sure misses Bella.  He goes nuts when he sees Iris, thinking Bella is nearby, it breaks my heart for him.

• Like 1

I was  talking about how we talk to dogs in a higher pitch.  Or different.  Reserved for dealing with furry kids.  🙂

I know you wouldn’t live anywhere else.  But I read about all your trips and am so glad I’m in the city, much as it is changing around me.  It’s all what we’re used to.  Those long drives for simple stuff I can’t imagine.  Forget something?  Just run to the grocery down the street.  I can’t do shopping clubs anymore.  They were becoming useless for me anyway after losing Steve.  Got down to using them for cigs  when I smoked.  Used to get stuff for other people.

you and a buddy are looking forward to surgery.  His is a knee replacement.  Wish I could muster that for my back.  no coming right home for that one.  Rehab hell for weeks.  I also don’t know how I’d even get there as I’d need to be tranquillized.  Too afraid.

What day is your surgery?  

• Like 2

Knocking on wood here, but I finally turned off my air conditioner tonight. It's been running since mid March when the 90 degrees hit. Each year it gets hot earlier and stays that way longer. Back to livable temperatures for a few months.😁😁😁😁

• Like 2

I always have to remember you’re in Arizona.  The hot part.  In the 30's in Washington at night and barely holding in the mid 40’s in the day.   Have been using my heating pad and electric blanket for weeks.  In my 2 year stint in Phoenix I remember opening the door for my dog in the middle of the night and getting hit with 100 degree temps.  That was also way back before it got so humid.  I’d make treks from Phoenix to Albuquerque a lot and go from the heat to snow in Flagstaff and back to livable heat in New Mexico.

need feedback from our southern folk now that there is another storm heading for that area.  

• Like 1

Everything is calm right now here in Sarasota, FL, Gwen. Just overcast and breezy. Tropical storm conditions (high winds, heavy rainfall) are predicted over the next several days. I will keep you all posted as the week progresses and if anything changes. ♥️

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

What day is your surgery?

Today.  A friend is picking me up at 12:15, we're coming home to snow.  :(  I could really do without that.  I've worked so hard getting ready for it this week, I'm exhausted.

Oh no!  I didn't know another storm heading in!  I pray it misses you and George and whoever else might be in its path.  I haven't heard anything on the news this week but election stuff.  The newspaper didn't even mention it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, kayc said:

Oh no!  I didn't know another storm heading in! 

You have more than enough to worry about right now, dear Kay. Focus on getting this surgery behind you, and let the healing begin! We are thinking of you and sending love and light ♥️

• Like 5

They had me waiting with that paper gown thing on for over two hours.  Glad to be home now.  Glad I had a ride, I could NOT have driven, they were nuts!  Register Guard finally mentioned Eta, need to listen to the news yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Glad to be home now.  Glad I had a ride, I could NOT have driven, they were nuts! 

kayc:  Good to hear your are home and resting now.  Am assuming "they were nuts" refers to other drivers on the road and not the hospital staff?  Good thoughts going to you. Dee

• Like 2

They were nuts to say I could drive!  They were nuts to say "no recovery time" and then tell me AFTER the surgery, no lifting, gripping, getting wet, ice 1/2 hour on/off/on etc, and NO PAIN PILLS!  I had to buy Ibuprofen & Tylenol pm (reg. Tylenol out).  I seriously can't do anything with my right hand!

11 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

So glad you are home, Kay.  I hope they gave you a sedative while you waited which was a long time!   I don’t know of anyone who was allowed to drive after surgery.  

What is Eta?

For you.......💖💖💖

They gave me nothing except an injection of Lidocaine right before the surgery.  It's ridiculous to make someone come and then leave them for 2 1/4 hours in that paper gown before coming to get you for surgery!  I could have been home doing something during that time!

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2020-11-11-tropical-storm-eta-forecast-florida-hurricane-watch

Good thing you had made arrangements for someone to drive you home.  I can't believe they thought you could drive.  And then to have to sit over 2 hrs in a paper gown.  I hope you're doing as well as can be expected.  I know you mentioned before about someone helping you.  I hope she's able to do that.  Sure is hard not to have our guys around when we need them....

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kayc said:

I seriously can't do anything with my right hand!

This is nuts.  I would expect limitations, but the fact you weren’t told is unprofessional.  That they were withholding of pain meds is horrible.  I’ve become less and less trusting of doctors and surgeons as the years pass.  And at the time we need them most.  We are supposed to not ask a lot of questions.  That’s old school thinking as we have every right to and they should be telling us every detail.  What if someone hadn’t come with you?  We’re THEY going to drive you home?  (Rhetorical)  As big corporations have taken over medicine, stuff like waiting as you did becomes dictated by their leaning on docs about time and processing as many bodies as they can.  It’s been a long time since I had surgery, but it was quick to get you in or if there were a holdup, they would give a sedative to reduce the stress.  I’m glad your home but so sorry for the nightmare.  Ho long, if they told you, will you be this laid up?

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, kayc said:

They were nuts to say I could drive!  They were nuts to say "no recovery time" and then tell me AFTER the surgery, no lifting, gripping, getting wet, ice 1/2 hour on/off/on etc, and NO PAIN PILLS!

So sorry to read this, kayc.  I wonder why they downplay the pain, and limitations surgery usually requires.  I have some thoughts only because I have listened to my daughter and her fears of the changes in pain management.  She has dealt with chronic back problems for years and watched the changes evolve.  I hope you'll be feeling much better soon.  Dee

• Like 3