Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Kevin, Congratulations!!!  So happy for you both!  You look very happy together, wishing you a long life together!

• Like 2

My DW repair went smoothly!  I’m dumbfounded.  Not sure the problem is fixed, time will tell, but he made a change that made sense.  Having time to kill waiting on the guy, I made a vet appointment for Mel for booster vacs and nail trim at the vet but also put in a call to the mobile vet.  Called Direct TV and some company they are feuding with on contract price that took away CBS for local news and shows.  Being in pain helps being angry.  🙂 I said I think it’s appalling that during a pandemic they would take away something I consider essential being asked to stay home.  Won't do anything, but a good vent.  Now I have to put on my 2022 car tabs (another thing that I got easily for a change) and see what the community center meal is for hot date night.  I’d like to stop at Safeway for a couple things, but my back is not happy at all today.  It never is but I grow less capable of handling it.  Still angry the docs had no help to offer after talking to them both yesterday.  Can’t even get worked up about the surgery I don’t want because all are canceled from the people that gathered over Thanksgiving to add to the record number of infections and hospitalizations because they couldn’t give up one holiday in person.  We’re on our 5-6 day of record infections and deaths.  Why do people insist on obvious dangerous behavior?  We all miss others, but some make it worse.  It’s so selfish.  For those that have done so beyond people they live with or are alone like many of us, I’m sorry, but that is how I see it.  Adding to the surge now.

i better get out of the house for a drive.  I’m too cranky.

• Like 3

I used to have chronic back pain from sitting in non-ergonomic chairs at work, but thankfully my back is good right now.  It seems if you put yours and my body together, it'd make a whole one!  We both have pain but in different places.  My hands prohibit me doing much, your back is yours.  Wish we lived closer!

I hope you don't lose CBS, it seems they do this every year at contract renewal time to try to blackmail the provider into entering a more expensive agreement.  I hate losing something that we signed on for.  I like KVAL for local news and also Inside Edition is on the same station, Dr. Phil also.  I don't watch much t.v. but like to relax with Kodie in the evening before bedtime.

So glad your DW is back now!  One less thing to worry about.  I still haven't heard from garage/storage bldg contractor so no idea how much $ I'm facing.  

JDNA is sending me a new battery & cables for my generator.  No mention of the outlet it fried.:angry2:  Too exhausted with everything to care.  Normally I'm a fighter, right now I'm over-saturated.

• Like 4

I’ve already lost CBS.  Missed recording SNLive last night because of it and it was 1st run.  I’m so sick of greed or reasoning I don’t understand.  My insurance rep called today about some medication questions and I found out Medicare doesn’t pay for one I am being switched to, so they won’t either.  It’s a common thyroid med!  Now it’s looking like my antidepressant will be in jeopardy in 2021 as well.  All this within an hour of waking up in my usual pain.  Oh, and my Zoom buddy is probably going to cancel our chat.  Bye bye my little socializing.  THIS is why I hate getting up.  The ONLY hope in this mess in my rep is going to talk to a broker and see if there is another plan with another company for this medication mess.  I just don’t have it in me to do much more than survive a day at a time.  I’m in that realization that our country's health care is embarrassing.  And dangerous.  Never in my life have I faced bills that rival getting cable and all premium channels, or leases on fancy cars and that is only a pleasure choice, not a survival one.  I see why so many face choosing food or meds.  It’s not right.  If I stopped taking mine, I could die from seizures.   That is a scary place  to be.  I don’t  think this med is helping me, but I can’t get off it.  I’ve tried.  The withdrawal was hell.  Now I have to possibly face staying on an old thyroid med to cut costs even tho it makes me feel worse.  I’m a simple person.  I look at sick people and think, give them what they need to help restore their health and continue to live the best life they can.  No one should have to choose between real care or what Medicare (I have learned) decides is fitting.  That is for the doctors.  They see the person.  Why are their hands tied?  Well, they can prescribe, but it doesn’t mean we can get it.  This is insane and taking me along with it.

• Like 4

It's a hard time for so many people. I have a heckuva time paying for my prescriptions. I went for a good week without my blood pressure medicine, until my Mom gave me the money. It doesn't bother me. I ain't trying to extend my life or anything.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I’m in that realization that our country's health care is embarrassing.

I saw a Twitter timeline earlier today in which someone proposed how to explain American healthcare and insurance to people in other countries so that they could understand how it is for us.  Analogies to restaurants was the most frequent one, such as food prices being hidden until after you eat, or being told not to be hungry, or the chef is a contractor who is "out of network" and the meal charges are $1000 higher because of that.  It was sobering to read it written in such stark terms.  And it is embarrassing.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

I found out Medicare doesn’t pay for one I am being switched to, so they won’t either.  It’s a common thyroid med!  Now it’s looking like my antidepressant will be in jeopardy in 2021 as well.

Ask your doctor to prescribe what IS covered!  You shouldn't have to pay totally out of pocket.  Or have the doctor put in a request and dispute the insurance on it!  Insurance can be maddening!  They're all about making $ off of us, I don't kid myself that they care about us!  THEIR role is to part with as little money as possible by taking as much as they can from us!  It has little to do with what actually works for us!

17 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

That is for the doctors.  They see the person.  Why are their hands tied?

Follow the $ trail.  It boils down to big pharma raking in the big bucks and calling the shots not only with the government but the doctors as well.  Doctors taught wrong, case studies skewed to benefit pharmaceutical industry, nothing honest or real.  I've learned so much this year, it's been an eye opener.  I've learned that in the end we have to learn about our conditions ourselves and make our own best choices.  It's a tough call.  And no one wants to pixx their doctor off and be told they have to get a new one, it's not so easy!  Esp. when you like SOME things they do!  Tough decisions...

15 hours ago, Kieron said:

Analogies to restaurants was the most frequent one, such as food prices being hidden until after you eat, or being told not to be hungry, or the chef is a contractor who is "out of network" and the meal charges are $1000 higher because of that.  It was sobering to read it written in such stark terms.

It makes me feel we are not the progressive country they've portrayed themselves as!  We're very backwards...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, nashreed said:

I ain't trying to extend my life or anything.

But we can't count on just dying and that's it, nope, with my luck I'd be left a vegetable forever in torment of my own body like my grandmother was.  She had a stroke and couldn't do anything or talk for the rest of her life, 13 years I think!  My grandpa was so wonderful, he came to her nursing home EVERY SINGLE DAY and talked to her, brushed her hair, read her cards and letters from the grandkids, etc.  Of course the rest of us don't have someone like that now.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kayc said:

But we can't count on just dying and that's it, nope, with my luck I'd be left a vegetable forever in torment of my own body like my grandmother was.  She had a stroke and couldn't do anything or talk for the rest of her life, 13 years I think!  My grandpa was so wonderful, he came to her nursing home EVERY SINGLE DAY and talked to her, brushed her hair, read her cards and letters from the grandkids, etc.  Of course the rest of us don't have someone like that now.

Yeah, that's a big scary fear. I'd be awesome to just pass away peacefully in my sleep.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That’s the dream, right?  Life has gotten so very ugly.  Death too for most people.  I just feel trapped now.  The times I’ve thought of checking out (with my luck and Murphy’s Law), it would get botched and I’d wind up worse and unable to do much of anything.  The worst of this WHOLE thing? We even think about it at all.  Never ever was something I felt or could imagine I would.  

• Like 3

I hear you Gwen. I'm sure if I tried to end it I'd screw it up. I'm sitting here listening to songs from 1984, which usually cheer me up, but I have depression beyond even their ability to help. A cloudy day in California and I don't feel like I have one person who cares if I'm alive. What in the hell is the point of life after you've lost the point of your life? I don't even have one friend to express my feelings (although I just did, so thank you friends). I'll eek out another day. Don't give up though, Gwen. You have people who care here. I try to remember that I was lucky I got to experience such a love at all. A lot of people don't. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where to post this, but thought it was kind of neat. I ordered 40 lbs. of dog food from Wal-Mart last night. Got an email that it was delivered with an accompanying photo of where they left it. New feature I guess, but handy. Sometimes I accidentally find packages in the dirt by the mailbox or outside the front door in plain sight. Fed Ex is the only one that puts them by the carport door and gives a knock. At least Wal-Mart put it there. Another thing Wal-Mart started doing is delivering whatever part of your order is available at "your Walmart" right from the store. Faster delivery, no delivery truck. I guess they hire people to use their own vehicles.

• Like 1

I wonder if they do that as thieves follow the trucks.  If so, good thinking in their part.  I have to have packages left by the door because of my back and carrying weight up the stairs is brutal.  I need to bring in distilled water (humidifier), cans of green beans and chicken (for Melody).  That’s the plan anyway.  

• Like 1

Huh!  I haven't had WM do that for me at all!  And no knock on the door either.  UPS better than Fed Ex (for me) as they'll deliver to my back door, Fed Ex would fling open my front gate, leave it open (which could have allowed Arlie to escape if outside) waltz right by my "Beware of dog, Use back Door!" sign with arrows pointing to the back, it's like they couldn't read!  Guess maybe it varies by driver or area?

Still trying to figure out if/when a package is coming as it was supposed to deliver three days ago...

Deliveries are all messed up with weather back east and vaccine deliveries.  This has got to be the busiest year for them.  Throw in the holidays and schedules are out the window for regular stuff.  I ordered things with plenty of time for Xmas delivery showing arrival on the 28th.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I know we aren’t supposed to talk certain topics here, but I do want to say, with all the crappy things going on in the world and personally, in less than 24 hours I see some hope for the future after 4 long years.  

Oh, we have sun today.  Lasting longer now whatever light we get.  Another plus.  

• Like 3

I got this from my therapist yesterday.  For anyone wondering about crying.  It’s helpful for a good observation of normal however you feel. It’s pandemic related, but it applies to grief and why he sent it to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/cry-stress-pandemic-advice-coping/2021/01/22/d508f86c-575a-11eb-a817-e5e7f8a406d6_story.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But if there were another person to cry to, why would I cry?