Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

OMG, I've never seen those before!  My grandkids would love them!  Seeing the gal in Hersheys PA...that would send me into a diabetic coma!  What a way to go, though, right!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Survived my trip to take care of my grandkids...I enjoy them but not the long drive/packing, etc.  And they make constant noise, my son gets worn out from his wife/kids' constant noise, I can understand!  I'm used to peace and quiet.  I was able to keep up with them although I had to crawl under the table to pick up some things (four year olds don't get that grandma can't!!!) on their slate floor, like to have killed me!  I think slate is harder than marble (I have a marble kitchen floor, breaks any dish that drops on it).  At least it was on this old grandma's knees!

Good to be home...

• 2 months later...

Been a while since I've reported a positive here!  I read this on FB this morning (my DIL's narrative):  Just glad I wasn't aware of it until it was all over!

God really saved our family today. Our motorhome died at a fairly busy stop light in Eugene and Paul was working on getting it going again. Through an unfortunate series of events, a fire started on the engine.
When the fire started, I ran to the fire extinguisher in the coach and gave it to Paul. That stinking thing was full and, by all accounts, should have worked; however it did not. After seeing the fire getting bigger, I quickly unbuckled the kids and grabbed Bruno by the collar because he wasn't leashed and exited the motorhome. We knew the boat had a fire extinguisher, but I couldn't run and get it because I couldn't let Bruno go.
Thankfully, Paul ran to the boat, grabbed the fire extinguisher and put out the fire. He said there was very little damage to the engine. He'll have to replace the throttle cable and another hose, but nothing significant. If we hadn't been towing the boat, the motorhome and everything in it would have gone up in flames.
A passerby must have called 911 because a Eugene fire truck arrived on scene. I called my mom and she came and picked up the kids and took them back to her house. After the kids were gone I finally lost it and just started bawling my eyes out and recanted the event to the fire men. They were so kind and listened really well and let me vent. A very kind, compassionate police officer showed up as well for traffic control as we had to have a tow truck come.
It was a very traumatic experience and I am so thankful that God spared us and our motorhome with all our gear in it. Cecilia was very calm and cool when it happened and I could tell she was trying to keep it together, but at bedtime she finally gave into her feelings. We cried together at bedtime and thanked God for saving us. Please pray for her and for me as I think this is something she'll be reliving in her little mind for awhile. I'm not sure Vincent was aware of what was happening and Bruno couldn't have cared less 😆.
  • Like 1

He's got smarter genes and I'm glad he's always cool, calm, and collected...Bethany has high anxiety which adds to situations like this, I got a chuckle out of her venting to the poor firemen!  Paul was probably relieved it was to them, gave him a break while he was dealing with things.

• Like 4

Seem to have a bunny liking my yard.  Saw it the 2nd time today.  Knows exactly how to get out of the yard.  Gives Mel a good run.  She’d never touch it tho.  Grateful about that.  Don’t know why it’s here.  My yard is all deck, rocks and gravel.  Bushes and some small trees.  Not exactly a haven for them.

• Like 2

Update, think the bunny has been trapped in my yard.  Propped open a gate early this morning in hopes it will get out.  There’s no food or water for it and I’m not in the position to provide that.  Plus, I don’t want it living here.  I feel bad as I don’t know if it’s wild or an escaped  pet.  Looks wild by the color.  Last thing I want is to find a predator got it in my yard.  

• Like 2

Likely wild, we have them around here, don't see a lot as they don't stand a chance against wild animals but here they'll take care of the remains, not just kill it.  Poor bunnies, no wonder they propagate so much, short lives!

• 4 weeks later...

I’m too wiped out after another day of hell to whin much. I’m spending so much time on this iPad I’m hitting burnout.  But, I did meet a therapy dog who belonged to the OT woman.  Little guy named Chewie who decided to stay with me when she was done.  She came back to get him.  Knows his way around and she and 2 other staff said he never curled up with someone so tightly and gave me a kiss and stayed so long.  Gonna try some vid games.  Said they’d bring me some old fashioned word search and crosswords.  I keep waking up being with Steve and happy to this room.  Many times.  I’m not getting my naps and night stuff with Mel.  Whole world upside down.

• Like 5

Aww, just what the doctor ordered!  Nothing like a dog to lift our spirits.  Except my Kodie is totally lovesick right now.  He wants his GF, Jazzy (she's in heat), he doesn't want to eat or sleep, he cries.  Nothing I do helps.  He sees her once a day but we can't live down there!  It lasts quite a while but this too shall pass. ;)

I'm glad they're bringing you word searches & crossword puzzles.

Nothing new on the sister front, she's driving me nuts.  :(  Lord help you if your family has dementia running through it.

• Like 3

I would love for him to be able to propagate if we ever find a suitable female for him, his breed is so rare...however, it remains to be seen if he was successful with her as she did lay down for him once, they bred her with another Husky we're sure took but we'll see when the puppies come if they're all his or one looks like a Kodie!  I'd love that and I'm pretty sure Iris would want to keep it in that case.

• Like 1

Just finished flash visit Up North to see all the Grand kids (and two great grand kids)...These guys had Forest Fires 3 years ago(town evacuated) and massive flood 16 months ago....What a spirit in this town...(Fort McMurray)......visit was great but the hustle and bustle I am not used too....(everyone in a hurry).........

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0088.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

• Like 3

Such a great family, sounds like the town's spirit is great!  Thank you for sharing!

• Like 1

Gwen, that is so sweet!  If ever anyone deserved something good to come their way, it is you.  :wub:  It made my heart lift to see you'd posted in this section.

• Like 3

Fires have subsided so took quick visit to Southern BC (Okanagan Valley)....Had great trip through Mountains and still managed to get a Sunburn.....nice to be home again....announced more Covid measures again...Here is some rugged scenery...Rogers Pass and Banff

IMG_0682.jpg

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

IMG_0785.jpg

IMG_0759.jpg

IMG_0748.jpg

• Like 5

OMG, such beautiful scenery!  And I love seeing the smiles on you and your beloved's faces!

What new Covid measures is your country taking?

Ours is pretty much the same for social distancing, not mixing with someone not from your household (most ignore that to some extent) and masking up.  Despite what Fauci said, we do NOT wear four masks at once!  Nor do I wear them on my walks outside unless at a public place like a park.  I will go take care of my grandkids overnight Saturday/Sunday.  

We still get the smoke, still have fires going, the big one is four miles from here, last I heard it was 20% contained, the heavy rains starting tonight should help, we're to get several inches this weekend.

• Like 3

Initiated a proof of Vaccination passport system, mandatory masks indoors, only family gatherings, no inter family entertaining(but we all can meet at Walmart).....bottom line is to get vaccinated or you can't go to Bars or restaurants....All government and Government workers require proof of vaccination.....dust should settle in 2-3 months..........we got Rains 3 days ago

• Like 3

Things are going nuts in the US with different states requiring different mandates.  What I feel makes common sense (like what you have) isn’t in place everywhere.  They are starting to clamp down on health care workers at least.  Being in a rehab myself, I’m glad the protocols are in place.   Not that I will be going anywhere anytime soon,I have no problem having to show proof.  I don’t want to be a danger to or have others be a danger to me.  This just keeps dragging out by those that keep waiting.  

we finally had rain yesterday.  It was nice.  Was supposed to today, but it sunny.  I liked the change after an extra hot summer.  I’ll be sick of it in a couple months as we won’t have dry weather we can count on til about May of next year.  A lot of concessions to live in this gorgeous place.  Every winter I miss Albuquerque (of old, too big city now). Cold, but sunny and balanced days.  No sundown by 4pm like it does here by December. When you sleep til about noon, it makes for a very short day.  

• Like 2

With the rain came news I need another home repair!  Siding cracked from it because the contractor that installed the downspout did so with a long screw that blocked the downspout and needles caught in it, plugging it so the several inches of rain did damage to the siding!  Had someone come out and unplug the downspout, that to take it apart, and he unscrewed the screw a ways so it won't block the inside, when the rains quit will dry out the siding and seal it off, repair that area.  Ugh, always something!

Kevin they're getting towards that here too.  Trouble is they leave everything to the states like Gwen says but the president is putting pressure on the states (imo) to conform to what he wants, so not sure how much input each state really has.

• Like 1

I don’t know how you manage all the curves you get thrown,Kay.  I spent the morning here trying to find out where a package was.  My downspouts are pretty much all shot.  Making the rotting gutters and roof high collection areas and expensive to be serviced.   Poor maintenance by people I thought knew what they were doing. Another outside project never in my job description.  

on the plus side I got a woman 'rescued' from the courtyard who got her wheelchair stuck.  It was late in the day so hardly any staff traffic.  Called the front desk and they had 2 people out there fast.  She looked very scared and so relieved.  

• Like 5