Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

Just now, kevin said:

A5BED4C5-BACA-47EA-81C0-8956D98E9740.jpeg

01FD56AD-EF75-44FD-9A4C-BAA320A5854A.jpeg

53F17B94-141F-4D2F-BD2D-18924C0B4715.jpeg

81522E38-FA67-4888-8F38-CD9AA5A92E7F.jpeg

She is a handful, into everything.  Cats taking look and see attitude, but cordial.  Will get better pictures next week.  I’m on 6:00 am morning training  shift.   Zoey is the name  and is 7 -8 weeks old…

• Like 3

Gwen ,So right, she is a cutie...and full of the devil....The Cat takes the high ground and gives the Pup some space...Pup wants to play but they touch noses once or twice then cat disappears   Maybe a token swat to keep dog away when appropriate  All and all going a lot better than i figured.....

• Like 2

The pup is adorable!  Good thing, it'll save her life time and again, like it has with my Kodie.  This is Kodie when he was a wee pup (two months old)...2063569182_PupBruno.thumb.jpg.e5f42e45351af0e69fe70674de4b06f3.jpg531769458_Kodiesface9wks.thumb.jpg.4c8cabd1d8e1a295bd95f87385b2b92d.jpg

Paul & Pup.jpg

• Like 4

This Pup sure has the energy and the ability to make a game out of everything.......Has no fear, i put blankets and pillows by the couch and bed as he jumps off everything. Found her stuck on a landing yesterday, managed to "go down" two steps, that must have been fun...Trying to train her is a challenge , I placed about 6 Pee matts strategically around...She prefers my bathroom, convenient....Hard to find collar for her small neck, even cats collar is too big...Will go to Pet store next week......Pups name got changed from Snowy to Zoey.......that was a Girl decision....What a great decision bringing this Pup into our lives...Weather actually above normal now...i'm betting on Ground Hog not seeing his shadow..., good news...(I think)

• Like 2

Sounds like puppy fun alright.  Of course she doesn’t use the puppy pads, that would be too easy.  People often think puppy and don’t know the work it is.  Those great adults didn’t get that way without a lot off work.  How’s she doing about chewing?  I know she has cuteness down.  Especially when they fall asleep.  That snd relief for a bit!  🙂

• Like 2

Kodie had his favorite out of the way spots (under dinette) that I'd check, tried putting newspaper down there but then he'd use a different spot!  :D  I think he maybe used the newspaper a couple of times, he caught on to peeing outdoors first, it was more a matter of catching him at the right time than him holding it until.  But it didn't take long to housebreak him!  Arlie was a year old so easier, he trained himself inside two weeks.  When he went it was a gallon so I was glad he picked the kitchen floor as it's marble and easy to clean, I got the cleanup down to ten minutes on my way out to work!  Would use a beach towel to mop it up and throw it into the washer on my way out the door.  ;)  Wash, disinfect, done.

Kay, Favorite spots for sure....Pup has favorite pads now, goes down stairs to pee on a pad and comes back to join us...Within last 8 days stairs no longer a problem........Extreme cold is back for few days -20 and colder with Chill...only a few days and it moves East...Ground Hog better do the right thing

• Like 2

How’s the chewing going, Kevin?  Great news on the house training.  Good you have help with it.  What’s the pups name?  Does he/she like going out to finalize house training?  Little critter, lots of snow.  🙂

• Like 1

Nope, ground hog failed the muster!  I'm wondering along with Gwen how the little one fares going out in -20 weather!  

I'm trying to get Kodie used to his front fenced yard (without him digging and refusing to come back to me).  He's doing better.  I still don't leave him alone a long time out there.  If I did which I went to town (several hours) he'd have dug his way out by the time I got back!

Arlie tried digging once.  He gave up.  He decided it was way too much worth for his girth!  :D  Probably right. ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Update on newest family member....its like having  a baby ( crying in the crib, demands attention), chewing everything, and such a delight...driving Cat crazy, who has shown great patience..... Last day of sub zero weather..

IMG_0996.JPG

IMG_0998.JPG

• Like 4

So cute, Kevin.  Boy or girl?  What’s it’s name?  I can see you’re a furniture is OK guy which is cool.  Our kids were family so we’re treated as such.  Used to have to fight for my chair in the evenings.  Melody would then stand on the couch arm to have her chest scratched til my hand went out. 

• Like 1

Gwen, it’s a Girl and name is Zoe..,The cat and dog both like sharing a couch with whoever is on it.  I’m buying some kind of dryer sheets that pick up pet hair.   For such a little one sure likes to eat.   The belly rub is definitely a favourite.  

• Like 3

She is adorable!!  I love the second picture of her, I've seen Kodie look just like that!  And I like your couch too, looks comfortable!  You can tell a lot about a person from what kind of couch they select.  I agree with Gwen, I'm glad you let her up on it, like she's a real member of your family, I have friends who do not and I just couldn't be like that. ;) Have a situation with them wanting me to take care of their dog for a week in June and they do NOT allow animals on their furniture, want me to stay there, cannot do that to Kodie.  They put her in a crate with no blanket, food, water when they go to town (100-120 mile round trip) for hours, I so disagree, do not understand why they haven't trained her to be alone in the house or yard while they're gone.  So IF they have someone come let her out when I have to go to town for my daughter's bdy, or to go to the doctor, or get groceries, and if I take Kodie home with me too sleep (down the street), then I can make it work, but not otherwise.  Cannot give up our cuddle/sleep time together!  And the whole crate thing for beyond sleeping seems inhumane to me.

I’ve never understood the crate thing.  Even outside.  What is the point of having a dog?  That’s like a possession you keep moving around.  I don’t feel that is giving them a life.  I really feel bad for the dogs.  I know one couple that crated their dog as a pup in their bedroom, but when it got older was free from forced in it.  In their case the dog liked the crate for sleeping so they got a big one and took off the door.  She was cozy with small blankets, pillows and a couple toys she picked.  

We adopted a dog that lived in a crate in a garage most of the time.  She was an amazing dog when she adapted to being inside with us and our other dog.  Potential they never saw.  She became an awesome volunteer with me.  It took a long time for her to unglue herself from me, her rescuer.  Once she did I was so happy watching her discover the world.  She brought happiness to so many people.  

I feel the same about people that chain up their dogs.  Or outdoor only.  Encourages aggression.  Dogs are (usually, there are some bred breeds that are what is called protectors but I call mean) bundles of love.  Want to bring that out as much as possible. Usually don’t even have to try.  When I’ve seen people training their dogs to be aggressive it makes me angry.  A guy at the dog park brought his pit bull there and encouraged it to grab limbs and cruelly pull them down.  Got him kicked out.  Didn’t want it around the other dogs.  

Guess it’s apparent I have some strong views on dogs and being family.  I wouldn’t be able to babysit your friends dog, not under those conditions.  I couldn’t lock her up and leave.  I’d feel awful.  What are you going to do in this awkward situation?

• Like 2

I can't leave her loose in the house/yard when gone because if something happened...it's their rule.  They haven't trained her, which would have just naturally happened had they let her as a pup, so I don't know what she'd do.  She'd probably do fine, but what if she wasn't?  So if they want me to take care of her, I'll have to crate her at night which she's used to, while Kodie and I go home to sleep, I'd come back as soon as we wake up.  I'll let her run free when I'm there.  The days I have to be out of town during the day they need to arrange someone to come get her out of her crate and let her run free in the yard.  I do that for them when they go to town.  She cries when I have to put her back in the crate.  It breaks my heart, it doesn't bother them.  I don't get it.  She's such a sweet dog!  They just view dogs differently than I do.  To me, dogs are the greatest!  Mine is happily spoiled and loved, as they all should be!  

There should be a "special place" for people who train dogs to be vicious.  Oh yeah, there is, it's called prison.  Unfortunately in our society they don't send them there.  Our laws regard dogs as "property."  No, they're better than humans, imo.

• Like 1

My husband and I went through the McDonald's driveway window and I gave the cashier a $5 bill.
Our total was $4.25, so I also handed her 25c.
She said, 'you gave me too much money.'
I said, 'Yes I know, but this way you can just give me a dollar back.'
She sighed and went to get the manager who asked me to repeat my request.
I did so, and he handed me back the 25c, and said 'We're sorry but we don’t do that kind of thing.'
The cashier then proceeded to give me back 75 cents in change.
Do not confuse the people at MacD's.

We had to have the garage door repaired.
The repairman told us that one of our problems was that we did not have a 'large' enough motor on the opener.
I thought for a minute, and said that we had the largest one made at that time, a 1/2 horsepower.
He shook his head and said, 'You need a 1/4 horsepower.'
I responded that 1/2 was larger than 1/4 and he said, 'NOOO, it's not. Four is larger than two.'
We haven't used that repairman since...

IDIOT SIGHTING IN FOOD SERVICE.
My daughter went to a Mexican fast food and ordered a taco.
She asked the person behind the counter for 'minimal lettuce.'
He said he was sorry, but they only had iceberg lettuce.

I was at the airport, checking in at the gate when an airport employee asked,
'Has anyone put anything in your baggage without your knowledge?'
To which I replied, 'If it was without my knowledge, how would I know?'
He smiled knowingly and nodded, 'That's why we ask.'

The pedestrian light on the corner beeps when it's safe to cross the street.
I was crossing with an 'intellectually challenged' co-worker of mine.
She asked if I knew what the beeper was for.
I explained that it signals blind people when the light is red.
Appalled, she responded, 'what on earth are blind people doing driving?!'
She is a government employee.....

When my wife and I arrived at a car dealership to pick up our car after a
service, we were told the keys had been locked in it.
We went to the service department and found a mechanic working feverishly to unlock the driver’s side door.
As I watched from the passenger side, I instinctively tried the door handle and discovered that it was unlocked.
‘Hey,' I announced to the technician, 'its open!'
His reply, 'I know. I already did that side.'
STAY ALERT!
They walk among us, they breed…....
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

Do not confuse the people at MacD's.

Trust me, I know!  My daughter worked there for 3 1/2 years when she was young.  Never again!  To this day she is in business for herself, even though it means longer than a 40 hour work week and no benefits, and double taxes.  It also means no idiots to work with/for.  

They used to ask her anything mathematical (she won the state Mental Math Contests every year, as did my son after her!) and she'd come out with it.  But when an 18 year old "supervisor" slapped her she quit.  Some things just aren't worth it.

I love this post you made...and they vote!!!

• Like 1

This is precious, Gwen!  My Kodie "loves" like this!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well my Cat and Dog finally getting along.....there is still quite the disparity in sizes......Puppy is super fast now and full of mischief, Cat is amused but takes to high ground when annoyed..... 

IMG_1005.JPG

• Like 3

I received this in an email this morning, and thought I'd share.   Dee

If this is a true story, somewhere there is a very special person working in a post office.... someone who surely loves children and pets; and has felt the loss of a pet. And who knew that pockets weren't needed in Heaven???  A heartwarming story...

Our 14-year-old dog Abbey died last month.   
The day after she passed away my 4-year-old daughter Meredith was crying and talking ab
out how much she missed Abbey.   
She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, 
God would recognize her.   
I told her that I thought we could, and she dictated these words: 

Dear God, 

Will you please take care of my dog?   
She died yesterday and is with you in heaven.   
I miss her very much.   
I 'm happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick. 
I hope you will play with her.   
She likes to swim and play with balls.   
I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog.   
I really miss her. 

Love, Meredith 

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey & Meredith , addressed it to God/Heaven.   
We put our return address on it.   
Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps 
to get the letter all the way to heaven. That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office.  A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet.   
I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 
'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.   
Meredith opened it.   
Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.'   
Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope.   
On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note: 

Dear Meredith, 

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help and I recognized her right away.  Abbey isn't sick anymore.   Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart.   
Abbey loved being your dog.   
Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in 
so I'm sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by. 
Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you 
write it and sending it to me.   
What a wonderful mother you have.   
I picked her especially for you.   
I send my blessings every day and remember 
that I love you very much.   
By the way, I'm easy to find.   
I am wherever there is love. 
Love, 
God 
  • Like 3