Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Will The Flowers Ever Bloom Again

The weather has turned from cold to spring overnight here in western Pa. The flowers are blooming early everywhere. I can barely look at them without remembering Dragon's love of the garden, the plants and what he used to say was the best pleasure of all.."digging in the dirt" I miss him so...I can see his home in my mind, the grass that he loved to cut..acres and acres of it. I wondered why he tired himself out so. I see now that it was peace for him to be on that riding mower with the wind and the smell of the fresh cut grass. I remember being angry at him one day when we were set to go on a trip up north. It was so hot that day but he insisted on weeding the garden. I reluctantly helped him complaining of the heat and the task..what I would not give now to spend just a moment by his side doing that today. I imagine his home where the plants and flowers that he lovingly planted coming up down from the earth..His excitement as well as mine in seeing the beauty springing forward after the winter cold. I will never have those moments again. He and my father taught me a real appreiciation for plants and flowers. I now enjoy growing my own...as I had done with Dragon. I miss him so much. My heart aches for the sound of his voice. I wonder if I will ever see spring again with the rush of excitement I once did..looking forward to being on the back of his bike..the wind, the blue sky...they all have lost there sparkle now...I loved him more than anything, and always will.

Kimberly

Dear Kimberly,

Why is it every third person I encounter these days is from Western PA? I was born in Pittsburgh and have relatives in New Castle. And two women who are fighting what my wife had that I hear from periodically are from the same area.

I get the whole gardening thing, though we have a walk behind mower for our smaller lawn. My wife and I loved our gardens--both indoor and out. Planting with her made the task less a chore and more a together time.

Now everything takes twice as long--or more--and too often seems like work.

But even now, time in the garden is golden. The crocus revive me--the daffodils make promises--and the bunnies eat the tulips as fast as they come up. Sigh.

Peace,

Harry

Kimberly,

I also think of my husband when I see the birds returning after winter - he loved watching the birds. And when I see the flowers coming up - buds on the lilac bushes, blooms on the fruit trees - I'll still be thinking about him. We both loved nature - seeing animals, plants, walking in the woods, by the ocean or up in the mountains.

To begin with I almost couldn't bear all these beautiful things without him. It was such a reminder that he was gone and couldn't appreciate them. I couldn't share things with my soulmate ay longer. I was alone.

It's close to 1 1/2 years now, and I'm enjoying nature again. I still miss him terribly and probably always will, but I can appreciate the beauty of all the things he loved. It's hard to explain how to get to that place - but you will.

Melina

Kimberly,

George always called our home "our home in the clouds", we're on a mountain, in the country, it's beautiful. We have a 30 1/2' covered patio and we always bought hung flower pots all along the patio and both ends. I remember how much he loved those flowers when they'd bloom, he'd take pictures of them. I haven't had the heart to plant them since, maybe I will this year.

Here is one of his prize Begonias and his beloved hummingbirds.

post-914-13322908283455_thumb.jpg

post-914-13322909516137_thumb.jpg

George took both of those pictures, you're right, it's hard to capture them on film!