Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Symbols In My Garden

I love to garden, although not as much as I once did, but nevertheless, it still brings me some comfort.....perhaps peace is a better term....4 yrs ago my bestfriend, back in Wyoming died, Vickie was such a great person......and I love her dearly, her death unexpectant, broke my heart in a new way I never knew...that day I couldn't finish work and went to Home depot and bought a rose tree, and planted it in her memory...the first yr on this plant was hard, but alas the 1st anniversary of her death....it bloomed, for the first time, that very day!!!

The year before, almost to the day, I was forced to put my beloved Aussie Shepherd George down, that day was horrible, but the Jacaranda trees were blooming like crazy. A beautifull tree in bloom with purple flowers......the next day I went and bought one and planted it in his memory. This tree survived another move to my new house and it has struggled with a really rough winter, prior to Mike's death. It froze back and appeared dead. The day that I set Mike up on hospice care I went to go dig it up......but alas overnight it had sent out shoots.......took it as a sign of hope......for the future! It currently has some burned spots on it, but is looking healthy...I guess much like myself......

Last fall I planted a Magnolia tree, with some of Mikes ashes in the front yard.....it seems to be holding its own, and knew it would be a couple of yrs before it bloomed.........but incredibly this tree sent out 1 bloom!!!! And at the time of the first anniversary of Mike's death...... a sign that Mike is still with me? I chose to believe this........

As I approach this 1st anniversary I have alot of mixed feelings of gratitude, happiness and sadness, but am finding much comfort in a garden..that I dont plan to keep much longer...but am sure at my new home........I will be able to create some peace again.......Dave

I planted 2 flowering crab trees with my parent's ashes. The first winter they were covered in ice, limbs broke off..etc...I was so worried about them. Last spring they were covered with some kind of worm. I didn't hold out much hope this spring. I was gone for the week-end, came home, had a really tough day and walked around the corner...the trees are full of flowers...just amazing!!! Took my breath away. Sat down by the trees and just felt close to my parents. Enjoy your signs.

That is so wonderful that your garden has been such a source of hope and comfort. My Arthur loved to garden and our yard if full of plants that are rushing towards spring. They are reminding me that even though it feels like my world is over life continues.

That's how I feel about the hummingbirds that come to visit on the deck.