Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Medications - For You?

Hi I that work in the mental health field opted not for meds, others have and feel that it was helpfull. With this being said the choice to explore medications is an individual choice, and I recall that Marty has some excellent articles about this and can point you in the right direction to learn more. Best Wishes! Dave ps for me, I guess the onl thing that I would have changed in this past yr, would I would have got away more, for some trips etc.....I stayed at home and became a "home body", I guess it was what needed at the time.......

I have been offered antidepressants and anti anxiety meds, but decided to wait on that. A friend of mine did get antidepressants to help her after her father died. She says they have helped her feel a bit more functional.

Yes, medications are/were for me. I have a strong family history of depression and mental illness.

One month into my 18 month caregiving phase (November 2009)I started on the anti-anxiety med, Lorazapam/Ativan, and just got off of it about one month ago. I believed it helped me and I had no problem getting off of it.

In July 2010 I fainted and found out my blood pressure was 200/110. I am on two different blood pressure meds and remain on them both.

The inability to fall asleep still plagues me. At first I was on Benedryl for sleep. In November 2011 my doctor switched me to Trazadone for sleep. This is an anti-depressant that is often used off-label for sleep. I take one half the dosage the doc recommended because the full dose is too much for me. At one half dose, the Trazadone allows me to not flop all over the bed (stops the intense restlessness) but it does not shut off my mind. It still takes me 1 to 2 hours to fall asleep at night. I have tried a lot of the suggested methods to fall asleep and so far they have not worked for me.

I expect to be able to stop the Trazadone in several months. I am coming up on the one year anniversary, this weekend, of my husband's death.

I am not sure if I will ever get off my meds for high blood pressure.

In the 1970's I worked in a state run mental hospital and formed a very strong anti-medicine attitude after seeing the side effects of psychotropic medicines. Then later I saw how my Mother acted when she would go off her anti-depression and anti-anxiety meds. I understand that some meds help some people. It is an individual choice.

My doctor gave me sleeping pills when George died, I only used them a handful of times, but it helped when I was super sleep deprived and NEEDED to get some sleep! I opted not to take anti-depressants because it was situational. However, a few years later I was diagnosed with GAD and got a Rx for that, I'll be on it the rest of my life and think I could have used it even way back as a child as anxiety runs in my family. I think it's a personal decision and worth discussing with your doctor to decide if you would or would not benefit from some aid.

I took anti depressants and sleeping aids after Dick received the diagnoses that he would need double lung transplants. We were told that in all probability he only had about 5 years to live without transplants, barring another infection. I found that I could barely function and spent a great deal of time in tears. I found the anti depressants very helpful. I continued to use the medications for about a year and a half after his death and would not hesitate to use them again if the need arose.

The medications helped me deal with all the things I had to deal with, helped me concentrate and focus. It seems that use of medication is a personal choice. I found them invaluable.

Sleeping is still a big problem. Sleeplessness seems to come in waves. I really long to have several nights sleep in a row and see if I would generally feel better and more rested. One never knows.

Grief or Depression?

The first part of this web page is an absolute poster child for why I have an extreme disgust, even hatred, for the medical profession today, or to be more specific, a disturbing number of its members. Incompetence, apathy, and a respulive lack of empathy rule the day. Time and again, with numerous doctors at numerous places, we encountered this. Healthcare costs are bad, but IMO are nowhere near out biggest problem in healthcare. It's this.

Anyway, sorry, back to the actual topic.....FYI I wasn't asking whether or not I should go this route; simply curious what others might have tried and its success or not. Regardless, appreciate all the replies. Just between us chickens she left behind an anti-depressant (amitriptyline) and I haven't been afraid to use it, and it has helped. It was only a partial bottle though, and I've moved, so need to find a doc and hopefully either get that or similar.

I'd caution you about using Rxs prescribed for someone else, sometimes what's right for one person isn't right for someone else, not to mention the legal ramifications if your job does a drug test, police stop you and test you, etc. Anti-depressants should be taken under the care of a doctor as most of them affect the brain...doctors don't recommend stopping them without their care as well. It's best to see a doctor and get what is right for you, they'll want your medical history and list of other Rxs or vitamins, OTC medications that you take, as well as any symptoms you might have.

I find nothing wrong with getting help when needed...after George died I stubbornly tried to make my way without aids and now wish I would have considered getting help, it might have been a better alternative than some of the choices I did make.

Thx kay but no worries - it's a mild anti-depressant and it has helped. No "legal" issues to concern with.

Sorry you feel you didn't try something when you should have - it's a tough call though, pls don't beat yourself up about it. You've suffered enough as it is without piling something else on.

And remember, Tom Cruise wouldn't recommend. rolleyes.gif