Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Coping Alone

Durbin

I have returned from my short break in Hampshire. The first day while waiting for the Coach to arrive was terrible as I saw I was completely alone and the other passengers had company - it was just myself without anyone. I almost felt like turning back and going home but went along with it. My first holiday alone without my husband since 9 months ago when he died from Lung cancer. I t got better the next day - saw 3 single women and I had lunch with them every evening at the hotel - I was so grateful otherwise I would have been stuck on my own feeling very miserable. Of course the last day was awful - my suitcase was lost and everyone had to wait for an hour before it turned up - it had been put on the wrong Coach.

I enjoyed visiting the nice places but I was on my own and felt sad. It is very hard to go through these things. The people i.e women who are widowed will not come with me on a break as they stick to their homes. There is nothing I can do even though I've tried my best to persuade them.

I have sad days when I think of the companionship and the good times we had on our holidays . I really do not like being alone. Having said that I have booked again for a weekend break on the Coach come November - a glutton for punishment. I know I have courage but I am sad and lonely nevertheless.

• 5 months later...

I still can't figure out how to go out for dinner with a girlfriend and have to pay my own way. I've been so used to having dinner with Moosey and he paid the tab. He didn't believe in tips so I covered that, but learning how much a nice meal costs is a whole new reality for me. Life as 1 instead of a couple is weird, strange, and uncomfortable. I keep running onto his Facebook page because they won't delete it unless I can provide a death certificate. I can't get a death certificate because we weren't married. We were trying to build a small business together. I keep getting mail for the business. To stop that means making our business inactive with the Secretary of State. That means a fee of $50. It sounds so small, but the action it takes is another step I have not been able to take. How do you go on as a couple of 1? Finding me in all of this is miserable. I need to identify me as me and move on from we. There is no we anymore. I went to my favorite burger place the other day. I used to stop by there, on my way home from work, and pick up something for him too. I found myself looking at their menu and trying to decide what to get, instead of automatically knowing what to get because I always ordered for him first. I have only me and 2 dogs to feed now. I'm still lost. Help me, Lord, help me to find me.

peaceneeded64,

Was the business in both of your names? Can you change it to you as the registered agent in your state? Did he have a will outlining provisions for the business so it could go on? That would complicate things, I don't envy you on that!

Do you have the password to his FB page so you could disable it? Or does he have a family member than can provide a copy of his death certificate?

I found one of the hardest things to do after my husband passed was to get groceries...we always did that together and he loved it! For a while my daughter did the shopping until I finally forced myself to amid tears.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry for all of you. I am quite tired of this figuring out how to live alone stuff too. I had my share of that before we met and had no interest in going back to it. Eating alone. Shopping alone. Chores alone. #@$ near everything alone. Talking to my dog who needless to say looks at me patiently while I imagine him thinking "whatever." Thinking of some little inside joke we had but no one there any more to share it with. I so hate this.