Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Jane's Closet

Harry, I know it was hard going through Jane's things, to sort and give away. I have given some of Mike's things to the local Share and Care, but I still have about 6 totes of things I just cannot give up yet, may never. I finally took the hat rack out of the bedroom a year ago and packed away all his hats, and his costume hats he used in plays. I sometimes will lend one out for a play, but am careful to get it back. The only really visible thing that I still have out is the cap he wore all the time, hanging on the corner of the portrait that an artist friend did of Mike after his death. The picture and cap hang above the Arizona Red Rock urn where most of Mike's ashes reside, on a bookcase in my living room.

Soon will be three years since Mike has been gone, but some things are still so very very hard. I admire your strength and determination, and know that you have a driving passion, and shame shame on FB. Just take care of yourself.

A new little life, after deaths, the cycle continues, as, I believe, it is suppose to do.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I kept George's bathrobe and when I feel an extraordinary need to be close to him, I put it on or hold it...I float in it, he was a big man. :) I also kept his fishing hat and vest and a few of his favorite sweaters, and sometimes I go back to that closet (in the guest bedroom) and just visit it. :) We also had matching suede coats and I remember so well the day we got his (there's a story)...they are still side by side in the front closet...where they belong.

When the new fridge freezer arrived I had to move Pete's motor bike helmet and gloves off it. He always kept them there all ready. I put them in the garage and when the new one was in situ I debated with myself about bringing them back. Common sense prevailed and I didn't. There was a good reason for them being there before as I'd have had to take them off deliberately. I decided that putting them back was a step too far. TThis was my way of reminding myself he had died. There are many more reminders of him that I've no intention of moving. His dressing gown hangs on the back of the bedroom doors under my own etc etc. I don't think I can bear th thought of moving his other things. All the drawers on his side of the bedroom still contain his stuff just as he left it. I realise I am stacking up problems for myself as one day I will have to leave this house but never mind. If only a stream of poor men with no clothes were to walk past the house and I could rush out with warm clothes for them! What an image!