Grief Healing Discussion Groups

School Shooting

I can only imagine the pain you are experiencing as a result of this horrendous shooting...especially as you live so close and have seen the town's pain as it is depicted in all the memorials. Your history, of course, adds to your fragility regarding the violence and abuse of children. I am so glad you have a trusted therapist to work with regularly on all of these issues. Peace to your heart, mary

Our brain is an intricate organ. When something triggers our memory, even by association (sight, sound, smell, color, texture, etc.) it takes us right back to the original event of that memory, thereby compounding what we are experiencing with what we originally experienced.

It's understandable that the Newtown shooting affected you like it did, having experienced the horror of your mom's being shot when you were a child. I work in Springfield, OR, where Kip Kinkel shot and killed his parents and classmates many years ago (Thurston High School)...it has never been forgotten here. Further up in Oregon we recently had the Clackamas Town Center shootings...a place I've shopped at many times, near where my sisters live. It is an uncanny feeling to have it so close. The fact is, there have just been way too many instances of shootings lately...so much so that it affected our holiday spirit, and many of us just felt different this year, not in a celebratory mood. Combine that with missing loved ones and it's no wonder we're struggling.

In my own little town, Brandon Hall bludgeoned to death a lady that had helped him...Brandon went to school and church with my kids, grew up with them. It shocked all of us to the utmost! Sure, we knew he was from a troubled home, he'd been in trouble with minor things before, but none of us expected anything like this! I knew his family, his GF's family...that was way too close to home.

Like Mary, I'm glad you have a therapist to help you with this, it's more than one can deal with on their own.

It looks like one student wounded by another student. This as Biden, NRA and Walmart meet re gun violence. You may wish to listen to this NPR talk from yesterday's All Things Considered.

http://www.npr.org/2013/01/09/168983538/preventing-mass-violence-a-balance-of-an-individuals-rights-communitys-safety

OMG, that's terrible, I hadn't heard; guess I need to turn on the news.

Another shooting today? Oh I just am so sad. At what this world had come to. Angry and sad. God bless the victims and families. Of ALL the horrific tragedies.