Derik L

I Killed My Pet Cat!

Folks, I am beyond heartsick. I accidently killed my Pet cat..he jumped in the dryer last night as I was pulling out a wet comforter from the washer and I stuck the comforter in the dryer not knowing he was there.

I normally investigate any thumps or spare change in the dryer but this time I walked away thinking the queen sized comforter was just wet and knotted up.

About 45 minutes I went back in to look and opened the dryer and pulled out the blanket..at first I thought a neck messager must have gone through the wash and dryer but then his dead body rolled out.

I am surprised the police weren't called as I yelled bloody murder for at least 5 minuties, trying to adminster mouth to mouth and message his little heart.

I buried him this morning and I am full of 'woulda coulda should' thoughts but nothing will bring this 2 yoa cat which I witnessed being born..back to me.

Please pray for me and my Cat 'Rummy". I hope he didnt suffer but articles i have read say stroke is immediate while others say he may have lasted 20 minutes or so.

I am so sad.

Derik L

Derik, my friend, I know there simply are no words to comfort you at this time, except to tell you that you're not alone ~ and we are so grateful that you've found your way to this warm and caring place.

We are animal lovers all, and we will walk with you through the sorrow, pain and grief you are experiencing now. You've asked for our prayers, and I promise you will have them.

You are not the first person on our site to have experienced this horrible accident. I invite you to read a thread that was posted on our site several years ago, in hopes that doing so will ease your pain a bit:

I Accidentally Killed My Cat In the Dryer

See also Loss and the Burden of Guilt

And I invite you to listen to this radio interview, in which I talk about the guilt that accompanies the loss of a cherished animal companion: Segment on Pet Loss Grief and Guilt

I am sorry to hear about your cat Rummy. Cats are cats they are all over. They want to explore everything, sit on top of everything, jump and climb down to explore some more. I am sure you loved your cat and things can get rolled up which you would never know they were there. Please don't be hard, your post says you love, and love will conquer all.

Thanks,

Kavish

I appreciate your responses and being the Animal Lover that I am, it is beyond my understanding how this could happen to me. So many thoughts..had the dryer been loaded with tshirts, ya, I would have run back over..I heard the thump right off the bat and thought it was a tangled wet queen sized comforter and the knot would work out.

I am so sad, and his two littermates miss him too although they attended 'the funeral' I'm not sure they understood why the man was putting their brother in a hole.

I am sorry but I am a wreck.

Derik,

I am so sorry, I know the feeling all too well. Years ago I took my dog and cat to the vet for their shots. They gave me some oral medicine for my cat. I came home and opened up the back of the van and let the dog out, and immediately turned my attention to giving the cat his medicine before going back to work. At 5:00 I went out to my van and opened the passenger door to put some things in, and out rolled the stiff body of my dog. I was shocked, panicked beyond belief! I tried CPR, called the vet, it was all so unreal. I don't know what miracle I expected, after all the dog was already stiff, it'd been hours. The interior of the vehicle was 140+. The vet told me his brain would have burst. He had climbed back into the van when I wasn't looking, wanting a ride, and knowing he wasn't supposed to, was quiet. I worked at a mill and even though my van was right outside my office window, I heard nothing all day. I was just a few feet away from him and couldn't save him because I didn't know he was there. At some point he'd crawled to the front of the vehicle and I'm sure he put up a storm if he was physically able to, I'm not sure how long it took for him to be unconscious. All I know is his horrendous death killed all of us, he was the sweetest dog there ever was and such a wonderful family pet.

If it was a child I probably would have been up against child abuse charges. But in all actuality, it was a horrid accident. We aren't perfect, we don't always foresee everything we should, but we do our best and love our animals with all of our hearts. There is nothing we wouldn't do for them.

I feel so sorry for you because I know your heart will hurt for a long time, but I hope you will be forgiving of yourself and understanding of the freakish accident that it was.

Dear Derik,

I wanted to express my empathy and sorrow for you at having been thrown into this torrent of pain as a result of this accident. I know that there are no words to comfort you at this time but along with the others am hoping that it will help you to know that you are not alone with your pain. And so grateful that you managed to find your way here to such a safe and wonderful place to walk alongside as you navigate the accidental death of your beloved Rummy.

Dear Derek I know it is hard to see clearly now and how the feelings of guilt are trying to consume you but I just have to express that those feelings of guilt are real and the pain is beyond words to describe and so normal for us to blame ourselves but I really hope you can take in that you are not guilty even in the least and that those are feeling states and not statements of fact. And I know the fact you made your way here tells me what an animal lover you are and how very much you love Rummy or you wouldn't be feeling as you do now.

I hold you in gentle thought and prayer.

With Light and Blessings ~ Carol Ann

I appreciate your kinds thoughts and words of wisdom everyone. I was up and down emotionwise all day and spoke with a Pet loss counselor who advised me to quit reracking the tape in my head with the 'could woulda should' scenerio. What happened is a done deal and nothing will bring back my sweet Rummy. She told me I have to be strong for his littermates who he played with daily..he was the leader of the pack. I can tell his closest pal 'Butterball" is in mourning.

I have to be strong for them but it sure is hard.

She also told me when I start to rerack the tape of that horrid day, I think instead of him playing with his brothers, or running through my legs making a brill type noise.

Now that he is gone, I can see this cat had a magnificant life force or presence. I always thought it was the three of them together which made them seem so strong, but it was our Butter Rum who was their leader, the strongest one.

I will miss him dearly.

What good words of advice she gave you! When I lost my Fluffy, I got another dog the same week...I wouldn't have but the plans had already been made before I knew I was going to lose Fluffy. The new dog in no way replaced Fluffy, they were very different, but it did serve to divert my attention and I came to love the new one for her own unique ways. I'm glad you have some other cats that will keep you company. We never forget the ones we've lost, they live on in our hearts and memories.

Derik

I am so sorry for your loss of Rummy.

Please forgive yourself. You gave Rummy a wonderful, loving home for two years. What happened was just an accident that could have happened to any pet owner. The important thing now is to move on and to take that love and grief you have for Rummy and to channel it into something good. I believe Rummy is still with you but in spirit form. Forgive yourself for Rummy.

Mark

My grown son was a volunteer fireman for many years and parked the fire truck in his yard. He was called out one evening, checked the truck before he left. When he left the station, he found his kitten dead and realized that he had run over him and killed his own cat. He was beside himself. He really fell apart and brought the kitty home and buried him in his yard (he since has moved because of his job). Several of us attended the "burial". We all cried along with him. Here he was doing volunteer work besides his full-time job and the kitty apparently had gotten under the wheelwell or somewhere where he had not been noticed. That was many years ago and my son still mentions it. Like him, this was not your fault. You didn't know the cat was there either. Nothing wrong in grieving though.

Eve,

That must have been very hard for him. I just found out my next-door neighbor ran over her elderly dog, killing him. I can only imagine how she felt, she'd had him for years and he was a very sweet dog. It happens a lot.

update

ALL IS WELL   i found her tonight home safe and hungry.  

i hope every one on her with out the happy ending all my heartfelt condolences and sorrow for you losses. i can say i truly know how you feel.  she was in the creek i just happend to be walking a way i never would have gone for some reason and saw her drinking in the creek.  

Saturday I let one cat outside and the other one followed us out. I left the door open as the second one is and inside cat and she never stayed out long

and  allways went in by herself.  I went and did some things in the garage and later saw that the first cat was out of the yard  so I put him in the house and closed the door. Later i went out and came back and never noticed that the second one wasn't in the house until sunday night. She was such a sweet, small cat and declawed never should have let her go out in the first pace but i did. it got to 30 degrees saturday night and im sure she must have froze to death. all i can think of is how careless i was, and keep visualzing her in the cold freezing. ive been looking all week and putting flyer on all neighbors doors all around the house, hoping some how she survived and left the door open to the little room you go through to go outside all week with food out there but she has never come . she has a collar with the old owners phone number who is my boss so im sure nobody found her and saved her, r any idea were she may have gone to try and survive.   i feel so guilty this is killing me to not be able to not think of how i killed her.   Rick

yes my cat is home.   

should i delete this post or not?

thanks every one for the kind thoughts.

I have found my cat she is safe and fine. 

Rick,

I'm sorry for how you're feeling.  It's altogether possible she's found someplace to be.  Two months after my husband died, his cat took one long hard look at me and left...and never came back.  I don't think he died, I think he just decided to find another place to be.  Cats are such independent creatures, they want to decide things for themselves.  I'm sorry she's declawed, I know she can't survive in the wild that way, but she very well may have showed up at someone else's door, especially being such a sweet cat, they could have taken her in.  Perhaps they tried that number and didn't get an answer...I'm sure you've asked your boss already.

I hope you learn something.  Have you put up posters around the neighborhood?  Checked with the humane society?

His cat is home?

update

ALL IS WELL   i found her tonight home safe and hungry.  

i hope every one on her with out the happy ending all my heartfelt condolences and sorrow for you losses. i can say i truly know how you feel.  she was in the creek i just happend to be walking a way i never would have gone for some reason and saw her drinking in the creek.  

Rick, no need to delete the post, it's good to hear good news!  I'm so happy for you!

I lost my baby girl this morning by the dryer. Im devastated and hurt I can't believe I didn't see her get in. :wacko: she was a rescued I found her two years ago. I know it was a accident it still just hurts so bad.

0830160855.jpg

Rach,

I am so sorry.  I know from experience how traumatic and horrible it is to lose a pet to an accident.  I do hope you'll take the time to read some of the threads with the links contained in them.  You are not the first to lose a cat to the dryer, unfortunately, they are so curious and yet so quiet, it could happen to any of us.  I'm sorry it happened to you.

I'm sorry too, Rach. This kind of accident happens far too often, and it's such a horrid way to lose a cherished kitty. It leaves you with such horrible images and devastating feelings of guilt. hope you'll find some comfort in some of these resources I'm listing for you:

Guilt: A Dangerous Villian, by Dana Durance

Breaking the Power of Guilt, by Moira Anderson Allen

Segment on Pet Loss Grief and Guilt, Interview

Grief and the Burden of Guilt

I feel so sorry that happened.

We just lost our cat of about 20 years. For quite a few years now she stayed in my room on my bed. Ever since hew brothers disapeared she quit going out immediately after that and some time after that just started staying on my bed all the time. now I  wonder If she did that from old age or because she was sick all that time and  I didnt notice. For the last few years she hadnt been washing And I wonder if she  was sick back then or just old. Then about 3 months before she died I noticed she was just skin and bones and sometimes she would loose her balance. And  she had constipation problems now and then  So I started getting her all different kinds of food to try  hopeing she would get some weight on, and get her going better. She took to eating caned food only. She had the dry all the time but would wait and ask for the canned food 3 times a day or when she got off the bed and asked for it.. Then kept  having constipation problems and the home things didnt help so we put her in the vet and they kept her for a few days. We got her back and did the iv twice a day for hyderation. It seemed to help at first but a week later we took her back because she stopped eating. They gave her stuff to make her eat and a few other drugs which made her eat but just gave her diarea so bad I came home that nigh and she had poop all over the room on every thing. I few terrible for not being there to help her. And she kept peeing all over the room also.   Then I came home and she couldnt walk  at all and took her to the emergency room. They wanted to do all theblood  tests we had already done at the regular vet. And so we didnt see much hope it what that would do so we went home and was going to go back to the regular vet. But the next day she was still really bad and so old we didnt  see any hope of her getting better after they already had her there and the sudden onset on not being able to walk at all. And the diarea and constant peeing from the iv from the second time we came back from the vet we took er to have her put to sleep. I keep wondering how long she may have been sick and I didnt notice  Aal the little things till the big ones happened and how long she may  have suffered, could have been 4 months or years I dont know. And  feel so bad having to wonder.    So I kinda know how you feel.  and IM sorry for your loss.

The other cat I thought I killed is doing just fine.

rick

Rick,

I am so sorry, it's a horrible feeling to have a cat for so many years and then lose them.  My 20 year old cat almost died about three weeks ago but so far is hanging in there, and I hope she'll make it but only time will tell...at any rate, I realize at that age it's a matter of time now.  
You did everything you could to help her.  I'm glad your other cat is doing well.  

Guilt: A dangerous villain 

has been moved...the new link is:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

• Upvote 1