Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I Need To Put This Somewhere

Shannon, you must be on the east side then. I'm glad you're getting everything you need today and will be all prepared. I always worry during storms about those on oxygen, we get so many power outages here.

I hope you can rest and just enjoy being holed up together!

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, we are in Eastern CT. 24-30inches of snow for us. Very high winds. Bitter cold. Leo has a temp the last 4 hours. And his blood sugar won't go below 260 with insulin... Both humalog (quick acting) and humalin (long acting). This indicates he is fighting some virus. I put a call in to the dr at 2am... His BP and heartrates are normal. So the dr thinks its a virus. In any case... I'm worried sick. It's 5:30am and well, I'm certainly awake. Was dozing but every sound or move startles me.

The impending weather... It just started... Thru Sat... Is scary.

Going to check Leo's sugar again and temp and then try to shut my eyes again.

Had a very intense emotional session with my therapist yesterday... Not really about Leo so much as it was more the trauma surrounding my Mom's murder. It will be 24 yrs on April 1st... And it just really starts sneaking up come Feb. it never gets easier.

Thank you again my friends. I will try to keep in contact. Praying we don't lose power.

Shannon dear,

I am thinking and praying for Leo and you. I am sorry Leo might have a virus. His sugar levels are high.

Have you thought of bringing in a home health care person to help you out? Besides having my HOV angels, I did have a care person to help me out with Jim during his last weeks. My resistance was getting to the breaking point and I just needed the extra help for me. The lady I hired was a sweetheart. Jim fell in love with her the first meeting - but he fell in love with any pretty lady. He would tell his HOV nurse that he would marry her if he wasn't in love with me - now isn't that a good way to keep on my good side.

We sometimes put off asking for help until we are exhausted. My desire was to keep our relationship as man and wife first even though I was caring for Jim 24/7. It was very important to me to sit and just be with Jim. We listened to music, videos, and he just looked at me. It did help me to have others around who could take care of the bathing and nurse things in between my care.

A favorite powerpoint I put together for Jim was called Symphony in White. He loved watching it. I had it on replay on a big screen in front of his bed. I posted it on a thread I started when I first came to this forum. I share it with you now. Peace, Anne

I can't upload a ppt so I'll take one like it off the internet so you can see it.

Dear Shannon,

I just want to second what Anne said above.

If you don't have help already, now is the time. I put off getting help when Doug was ill for way too long, so we could have as much time with each other as possible, but I was slipping very badly, and am still recovering my health. In fact, I must go for another set of tests today, after tests on Monday.

More than anything else, you must take care of yourself. I know how hard it is to pull away a little and let someone else be there for Leo for a few hours, but you must take care of your health, get enough rest, and be mindful of your nutrition. Be there for you for a while as well.

You are there for Leo as much as you are able, but you must be mindful of your health and your body's need for rest. You also need an emotional respite so that you will be able to come back with more energy and peace to care for Leo. Many friends and other people tried to tell me this, and I ignored them, thinking I could do it all. We cannot do it all.

If you can get some nursing help to come in and take care of Leo while you get some rest, have a cup of tea, take a nap, or even just sit with yourself, please do so. Maybe there is a family member of close friend. Take all the help you can get, and ask for more. You need time right now to rest so that you can think clearly, process what is going on, make the best decisions, and so that you can give Leo the love and emotional presence you both deserve. Let someone else take his temperature and check his vitals. And maybe have them check yours as well. Go gently with yourself, so that you can continue to give Leo your love.

It sounds as though things are becoming more challenging, between the virus and the weather. Maybe you can start making arrangements today to have some help come in and to be able to give yourself some time for self caring. I hope you make it through this storm with your power and that everything with the house is all right. Mostly, I hope you can get some help so that you can spend a little more time taking care of you.

Please do take care of yourself, Shannon, and please let us know how you are doing. My prayers are with you, and I am holding you and Leo in my heart.

Blessings,

*<twinkles>*

fae

Hi. I have to go back and read your replies today. I'm just posting that Leo's BP got real high and it was decided he be sent to hospital. Particularly because of this blizzard. And most likely after this virus goes away, he will go to a rehab facility for a while, and by then I will have a visiting nurse scheduled to come to our place daily when he returns. At this point, the drs say he just has a virus. I actually am relieved he is in the hospital during this storm. The height of it is just starting now... 18-24 inches in the next 12 hours. We have a few now. Glad he is there now because its really picking up.

I'm going to bed. I've got a headache so very bad.

Thank you for your support.

Dear Shannon, I am so relieved to know Leo is in the hospital. After I posted (above) I wished I had said that with the storm coming it is essential to get him to ER..but, of course, that was not my call to make. I am relieved however. Trying to get an ambulance through a storm is so impossible. (I live in Wisconsin and last week my friend's father died at 3:30am at home. The ambulance is 5 blocks away and it took them 18 minutes to get there).

NOW take care of yourself and sleep sleep sleep.

Peace

Mary

Anne, that's a beautiful video... Peaceful. Thank you.

Anne, Fae, Kay, Marty, Mary... Thank you so much for the support, advice, and prayers.

I believe someone is looking out for both Leo and I... My Mom, Leo's twin, my Nana. Our Angels. This blizzard is so bad... I think if Leo was not in the hospital during this, things would go very wrong. I mean we have 18 inches already and the plows have not even gotten up here yet. And we are expecting another foot by tomorrow. So an ambulance getting here would be very difficult. I'm glad I sent him when I did.

Mary, that's just awful about your friend's father. :(

Leo is doing the same. Sleeping a lot, on oxygen, his breathing is a little labored, his blood sugar is staying around 200 with insulin, and he fever is not going above 100. They do have him on antibiotics. He is basically sleeping. He does that when he gets sick. But whatever this is is not getting worse.

I am posting a few pics I took outside the apartment. It's very gusty, blowing drifting snow... And even "thunder snow". Weird.

Haven't lost power yet... But a lot of the area has as tonight goes on. The conditions are worsening.

Not sure why that first one went in upside down. :)

Going to bed. Not looking forward to looking outside when this ends.

Peace to you. You are in my heart as you walk through this tough time. I am also so glad that Leo is safe in the hospital. Rest and know that you have many of us praying for you and Leo. Anne

Shannon, I hope you had a safe night. My nieces are sending pics to me from the east coast and they look just like yours. So far they have power but my niece lives right on the ocean and flood warnings are out. I am so glad Leo is safe and you are resting. Peace, Mary

Shannon,

I wasn't on line yesterday, I injured my back and yet performed at audit for our church yesterday, so when I got home last night I just laid down and didn't come on here.

I am very glad your husband is in the hospital and you will have some help caring for him afterwards. I'm so glad that decision was made before the snow hit so bad! When the plows don't come through, you just can't go anywhere! Anything over a few inches and you get high centered, even with 4WD, unless it's packed down, it really depends on what kind of snow it is.

I hope you can just rest and have peace in your heart knowing your husband is in good hands. We are praying for both of you!

Kay, I hope your back is better. I am sorry for added pain. Let us know.

Mary

I'm just taking it easy today. I vacuumed yesterday and probably shouldn't have so today I'm being good.

Ouch, I have a back that "goes out" and vacuuming is the worst thing I can do...it twists as you push. I hope it is better today. Looks like I am going to have to start watching you.... :)

I attended my friend's Alaska party today. She has been a forest ranger in the wilderness...I ,ean wilderness..checking archeological sites and then archiving. She had a heart attack on this last 6 month stint and it is her second. She is mostly alone in a metal cabin up there so it was time to quit though she hopes to find a National Park in the lower 48 and work there in the simmers. For now I see her taking a year off. She is a lovely 65 year old woman who has more courage in one finger than I have in my entire body. The party included slides of her 11 years up there-6 months a year and good food. Nice and I came home tired.

No more vacuum! Or I will come out there!

Mary

Mary,

If she wants to stay in AK, I know UAF was looking for a field archaeologist, and she could ask at the museum about the position. Hum, if you want to PM me, I will give you the name of another amazing woman, survivor, archaeo-botanist at UAF :) She has super stories to tell, and I imagine those two might know each other already. My friend is at the UAF museum now, curating. I think she is the only archaeo-botanist there.

So, they might want to talk. I think this friend knows a lot of people. And we have another friend in Anchorage with USFS, I believe, who will know a lot of people. I will need to track here down, though. She's been moving around a lot lately.

Anyway, what a delightful evening you had! That is super! Thank you for sharing, lay off the vacuums! Goodness!

Actually, I am only now beginning to be able to vacuum again, and I am glad I took my time and had all the PT.

Beehive yourselves! (Just finished watching Nanny McPhee).

*<twinkles>*

fae

Now, Shannon, how are you doing? Are you feeling a little more rested? Are you eating some fresh foods (when you can get them other than by dogsled, I mean!) and drinking lots of water?

I hope that you have been really resting, and giving your body a chance to do some repair. And that you have been able to meditate, and give your heart some time to repair as well.

I hope you are feeling a bit calmer, a little more safe, and just a bit more centered. Every minute, :)

Blessings and Much Love,

*<twinkles>*

fae

Fae, thank you so much for this info. I will pass it on to her but I believe her goal is to stay home for a long while and maybe someday work at a National Park in the lower 48. She has had two heart attacks now. But I will tell her about this and it is her decision. Thanks for caring.

Mary

Kay, I'm sorry your back is hurting. I know that pain. I've got 3 very herniated discs.

Be careful my friend.

Fae,

I posted in my other thread. Thanks darlin!

I think mine is just pulled muscle. My sister was worried it might be a disc but it's not that area, it's closer to the shoulder blade and it's improving every day with the help of Ibuprofen on a regular basis and heat & ice alternately. I took it easy yesterday, didn't go to church, just relaxed except for my walks with Arlie. Do you know how hard it is to relax? I know Mary does! :)

Kay, it might be a muscle spasm. They are quite painful.

Yes, I do know how hard it is to stop running but I truly think I am on top of this now... "No"has become my favorite word...saying no to about 4 events this week and have a really simple schedule again. Now it is your turn....really heating pad and gentle movements....

Mary

It's getting better every day, Mary, thanks! There was a big knot in my back, I could see it but it's beyond my reach...a massage probably would have helped.

Glad it is getting better. Too bad it is beyond reach...the curse of living alone (one among many :)) ? I hope it continues to heal.

Mary

Thanks, Mary.

Shannon, how are you doing today? I hope you had a good rest last night. Any news about your husband?

My honey is back in the hospital after literally fainting during one of his rehab sessions. And his oxygen saturation won't get above 88 with oxygen on. And he is having a lot of angina... Chest pain and pressure along with the difficulty breathing. His kidney function numbers are worse again. He has a lot of edema. His worsened kidney failure is most likely the cause of his symptoms. It just worsens his COPD and congestive heart failure.

On top of his health, the car is not functioning well. Stalling every time I slow down. And on top of that... I've had fraud activity on my Visa card... 2 major charges in Ohio. We don't live in Ohio!!! Grrrrrrr!!! So it's going to be a week before I get my new card.

It's 1am and I'm eating a little, taking meds, and shutting my eyes. Will see Leo tomorrow.