Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

"Take it easy. Be as good to yourself as you are to everyone else."

Mary

hummmmmm are you remembering to follow your own good advice, dear Mary... :blush::excl:;):P:wub:

I listen to these podcasts on occasion and I like the music one which is pod6. MP3 - I hope you can follow it here:

http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/listen-to-podcast/

Dear Anne, just because I scheduled the painting of half my house (which created more chaos than a human being needs) and that took place on the heels of a very tough month of anniversary stuff which was right after having pneumonia....how could my impeccable scheduling lead you to think I was not taking care of myself? :unsure:

Hello dear Mary - you are quick! I wonder if perhaps, maybe it's because some of us are 'getting to know you, getting to know all about you - getting to like you, getting to like what you do' - see, you make me break out in song. Your list is long and it's being checked off gradually. I am so glad things are getting back to order. Have you found Bentley yet???? I'm kidding people, Bentley is fine.

Anne, you are dizzy tonight...though I would like an audio of the song...

Actually yesterday I thought Bentley got out with the painter...out the front door which opens to the street. He was sound asleep on his bed but did not come when I called like he always does. Panic attack for one brief moment. Pure panic!!

I do go to Chicago on Wednesday, stay with Cathy that night, see eye MD Thursday, maybe drive home that day if I can see well enough or may stay at my brothers for a night...not sure yet. Then a 3 day death education conference in La Cross, WI (CEU) and eye surgeries in late July and in late August. :)

"Anne, you are dizzy tonight...though I would like an audio of the song..."

here is your request, Mary - and now I am going for a long walk with Benji since it's only 6:20 PM here in AZ - it is a beautiful evening for a walk.

I know that feeling when you think your furbaby has escaped! Safe drive into Chicago. Have a good visit with Cathy.

You should be in rare form after your three day conference on death education!!!

Greetings and Much Love,

I am having an exceedingly excellent time of meditation videos on YouTube with tara Brach. I am in delight and glee. :)

thank you, everyone, and I am going back to my lessons for a while, but I send much love.

Kay, I hope you will consider not signing any releases for some time yet, and more, I hope you have absolutely no injuries of any kind. Whew!

Anne, you are out walking. {{{hugs}}} to your healing heart. :)

Mary, if you are going to a conference, have fun! I am so glad you have a very trusted friend to care for Bentley.

I am doing wonderful things for my mind and heart. I now return. I am reminded to do so. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

Well, first of all...I meant I wanted an audio of YOU singing that song....but I thank you for the one you sent. :)

It is very very cold here....almost down jacket cold...and now 9pm but I am sitting in a clean house (except for the art room and Bill's office/guest room. I am relieved to have some order. Eric comes early tomorrow to put in the valances and then I can put Bill's antique clock (with a 200 year old hand blown glass globe) and other treasures back in place. Picture hanging is next. So sitting here, even though cold outside, feels good. Ashland WI had 16 inches of snow yesterday. They are far north...but it is MAY!

Following 3 days of death ed, I will be tired-that is for certain...I did not register for the 4th pre-conference day...see I am learning.

fae I leave Bentley at the kennel a couple of blocks away. He has gone there since he was a baby pup. It is all inside except the play yard, of course. He has a private space with a bed (looks like a human's bed) so I do not worry about him. They love him there and he gets to play with the staff (his first choice) and other dogs (take them or leave them).

Glad you like Tara Brach. She has some great books also. I will start True Refuge, her latest after I finish a couple of others.

http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2013/may-june-13/the-compassionate-mind.html

This is a great but long piece on compassion. Compassion is natural not only to humans but also to animals. We animal lovers know that, however. "Condon, Miller, Desbordes, and DeSteno (in press) found that eight-week meditation trainings led participants to act more compassionately toward a person who is suffering (give up their chair to someone in crutches) — regardless of the type of meditation that they did (mindfulness or compassion)."

From today's HuffPost Healthy Living:

The push-up is an incredible tool to help you get in great physical shape; that's why it's used in almost every gym in America. With all the scientific evidence pointing to mindfulness meditation, the practice is literally becoming America's next push-up for the brain.

Here are 10 reasons why you should do the practice:

10 Reasons Why Meditation Is America's New Push-Up for the Brain

Great piece and I love the labyrinth in the slide show. I do, however, prefer a labyrinth that is not high sided...seeing where we have been and a bit of where we are going helps me. Walking one with high sides forces one not to look back or forward and to just be where we are. Something I have not mastered, obviously. :0 Thanks for this, Marty.

"The brain is just like a muscle you work out at the gym: If you do meditation every day, it's going to positively influence your life..." from Marty's post above.

I am beginning to believe this - however, stilling the mind will take a lifetime... oh, the patience we need to move through our humble lives.

Yes, Anne, it is a lifetime challenge/reward. And I can guarantee you that if you stop for a while and then restart, it is a step backwards on your progress.... :0 I know because I did it. Patience is one of my biggest lessons...patience with myself.

Your schedule makes me want to go lay down, Mary! Arlie gave me a scare today...my neighbor stopped by while I was in the shower so I ignored Arlie's barking, and when I got dressed I went into the living area and no Arlie! I called him, started searching for him, wondered if the neighbor had opened the door to see if I was here and if Arlie had escaped...then I found him, he was hiding behind the couch, not answering me, no idea why! He had me so worried!

Kay, my schedule is a bit much...the eyes are a once in a lifetime (I hope) deal and that is the bulk of my tripping this year. I have a couple others but they are for fun.

Maybe the neighbor scared Arlie. Bentley gets more easily frightened as he ages...I guess maybe I do too :) Glad he was fine. Just learned another friend fell yesterday...ambulance etc. Hit her head, bruised a rib. I talked to her today and she said she was wearing sandals and tripped on broken sidewalk and the sandals were not enough to prevent the fall. She, like many of us, find things like bare feet and sandals becoming a memory.

Hi Mary,

I hope you are doing well with your busy busy schedule.

I was wondering if you can suggest some meditation pieces to get me started. I have always had a hard time sitting still and just being in the moment as Marcus would tell me. I would like to learn though. We talked about it, but never got a chance to try it together. Whenever you get a chance i'd really appreciate it. If anyone here has any suggestions i'd love to hear them. Thank you :)

Kristen

Kristen, I went back over the meditation topic and I think the best way to get going would be to go to page 1 of the meditation topic, click on a link, watch the video or follow the directions and see what that feels like. Some links take you to articles about meditation, some take you to meditations. There are a lot of options...I would suggest you start doing that to educate yourself about meditation and how to do different kinds. Try that for a couple of weeks and perhaps take a few notes on what you like about what you listened to or watch or tried.

Glad you are here

Mary

No, Arlie's definitely not afraid of this neighbor, he was sulking because he didn't come in and spend time with him!

I'm sorry to hear about your friend...it seems falls comes with getting older, it just doesn't take much to throw us off.

Ok i will try that. Thank you Mary.

Kay, Arlie sounds like he can be a big mush at times. Gotta love that :)

Arlie is a huge baby! (all 117 lbs of him)

Oh wow! That is a huge baby. Good for cuddling and long walks i'm sure :)

Runaway, Busy Mind? There is a Way Home

"Heartfulness is a way of life. It is growing joy. Heartfulness is a meditation where awareness rests in the gentleness of the heart. Silence is having time of peace and quiet. It is finding inner stillness. In the silence of the heart, our mind rests and our well of being, our soul comes forward. To heal our runaway, busy self we need time for no self, time for retreat. In retreat it is not what we are doing but the heartfulness, silence, and simply being in life's beauty that are important."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-davis-phd/quiet-mind_b_3212194.html?utm_source=Alert-blogger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email%2BNotifications

Good. There are lots of helpful meditations, videos and articles on this topic. Enjoy and learn. Try it out..just sit and be still and pay attention to your breathing or the sounds you hear or the wind blowing a tree....Goal is 20 minutes twice a day. Let me know how it goes. Mary