Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

I keep hoping that when I retire (when?) I'll get to finish reading my wonderful stash of books and maybe reread some of the others...please don't burst my bubble! :)

fae, i woke up super early today...probably will take a nap later.

Kay, trust me...I am living as if I have retired this year and maybe next (when I WILL go back to work) and there still is not time to read all the books in my pile and on my wish list... :)

From a post on Facebook this morning:

Rick Hanson, Ph.D., author of Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love and Wisdom and Donald Altman, MA, LPC, author of "The Joy Compass" and "One Minute Mindfulness" will be featured in "The Mindfulness Movie", a documentary on mindfulness that will be released this summer. Viewers are trained by an unprecedented group of 35 world-renowned experts in the fields of neuroscience, psychiatry, relationships, sports, psychology, and quantum physics from around the globe, as well as major bestselling authors. In addition, it includes testimonials from a random group of participants in the program.

The goal of the documentary is simple—to redefine "mindfulness" for the average person as an accessible and powerful training and educational tool for living a full life with less strife. GO TO: themindfulnessmovie,com

"We don't know we're mindless because we're not there to notice and if you're not there; you can't notice that you're not there to notice." says Harvard's Professor of Psychology, Ellen Langer.

We wanted to give you the opportunity to help bring a solution to this mindless behavior in our politics, economy, business, work, relationships, and our personal lives. Through the use of film and media, we have begun an international outreach project to incorporate mindfulness into people's lives. It is our passion not only to impact, but also our desire to help further the mission of bringing mindfulness into the mainstream. This simple and easy to learn technique can quickly change mindless behavior to mindful behavior—a vital component of living a full life with less strife.

Watch the move trailer below:

Marty, great reminder about this movie. I MUST see this.

Richie Davisdson of our UW is in this, I believe. It is sort of a center for neuroscience / Minfulness research. They are teaching the school kids in Madison mindfulness. I was doing that in the 70s and it feels soooo good that we are finally doing it for our kids especially in this culture where kids do not know how to just be. Thanks for posting this.

Mary

http://eyla.com/the-four-habits-that-form-habits/?utm_source=Eyla+Newsletter&utm_campaign=0ba090ef78-Eyla_Newsletter2_14_2013&utm_medium=email

This is a piece on forming a habit which I believe applies to starting a meditation practice also. She suggests starting with 1 or 2 minutes a day....and go from there. Good piece. Number 4 includes asking your spouse for support and I apologize for that being there and some of the ideas there are pretty ridiculous in my mind but I did not want to remove them either.

Mary

http://www.chopracentermeditation.com/Bestsellers/LandingPage.aspx?BookId=178

This is a link to a 21 day meditation on Perfect Health. It is led by Deepak Chopra and Oprah. I am doing this these days in addition to my own meditation. It started 5 days ago but you can start with day 1 and finish after the 21 days. I think it is a good way to begin a meditation practice or to use it, as I am, to focus on your health. It is free but you must register.

As Jan said, I also am doing the meditations - perfect for me - I have always liked Deepka Chopra. My library is full of his books from way back!

Thank you Mary for the 21 Day Meditation. Thank you so much for giving us all these links. Anne

I am enjoying this one and it is perfect for all of us as it focuses on our health. Glad you like it. I have a pile of Chopra books also back to the 70s.

Mary

Dear Friends,

I found these today, thank you, Universe.

*<twinkles>*

http://www.thefearandanxietysolution.com/meditations/

I am finding they take concentration, for they present options to my thinking, options of paths of thought to take. I am about to begin the third one. And I will do them again tomorrow. This is interesting to discover old ego-defenses I am uncovering on this journey at a very core level, it seems.

Curiosity compels me to return to my classes and studies.

I send blessings to everyone here.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Tara Brach, PhD, clinical psychologist, Buddhist educator, meditation teacher, author...she is excellent.

Deborah, I do like Tara beach a lot.,she is podcast for iTunes if you would like to hear her. Go to iTunes and subscribe to her. It is free and lots of downloads. Mary

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rebecca-lammersen/meditation-myths_b_2966754.html

This is a good piece for those who want to meditate and just can't sit still....

It reminds me that when I played racquetball twice a week, I felt I was meditating because I was totally present and focused on hitting the ball. Total focus...being present = meditation.

Peace,

Mary

I checked back to make sure that you, Mary, have not added this meditation to the many links you have given us. This is another meditation from Tara Singh on Gratefulness. I found it appropriate on this day of Resurrection. Gratefulness makes everything possible... Anne

This video no longer is available.

Anne, this is super. Peaceful. Calm. Thank you.

http://www.news.ucdavis.edu/search/news_detail.lasso?id=10538

Mindfulness meditation is getting a lot of press as research proves it lowers stress and stress hormones.

This is one great piece. It is so right on!! I did an 8 week (yes, week) meditation retreat in 1980 and when I got back Bill said to me: "You are like butter melting". Oh, to live that way all the time. We think on an average 50,000 thoughts a day according to whoever counts them...and the vast majority, like 90% give or take, are the same ones we thought yesterday and are negative in some way. Why oh why did I quit meditating while caregiving and even since until very recently? Awgh!! I lost me but I am finding me again. I am back on track for the most part...but not yet back to where I was...but I WILL get there eventually. Thanks for this great piece, Marty. You are a gold digger at heart! :)

Peace, Mary

:unsure: Nuggets everywhere thanks to the web. What would we do without it? I can't even go there.

This accompanied Tara Brach's statement on meditation on Facebook: post-14525-0-71264500-1364952700_thumb.j

Tara Brach

A healthy attitude is one that sincerely cares about presence, yet does not judge what unfolds. Rather, we regard whatever happens with an interested, relaxed, and friendly attention. Making meditation part of a self-improvement project can actually undermine your practice. Most people have an internal template for the kind of meditative experience they consider “good” (quiet, open, clear, loving, and so on) and then judge themselves when their mind wanders or when difficult emotions arise. Truly, there is no “right” meditation, and striving to get it right reinforces the sense of an imperfect, striving self. On the other hand, resigning yourself to a halfhearted effort reinforces the sense of a disengaged, disconnected self. ~ True Refuge ~ http://www.tarabrach...truerefuge.html

Oh isn't this true! If we can't get out mind still, instead of worrying about it (which is counterproductive), just "be".

Dear Kay,

I've been thinking about you these past couple of days as the accountant and I forge ahead with the tax returns for the other foundation, and remembering that we Can file an extension if need be. But it looks as though we will be through trial balance by the end of the week, and maybe have the drafts done by next week. Things got so confused last year when Doug was leaving, and I made (more!) mistakes, which is very unlike me, but not so unusual considering things.

I wanted to drop in here this morning before heading to town to wish everyone a beautiful day of love and laughter and promise, hope and health. We have all been through such a rough winter, and I am smiling at the first few days of sun and warmth. I know we will have a couple more blizzards, but is is wonderful to be out in shirtsleeves for at least a few days before the next big snowstorm.

I hope your week at work is going well, and that you are finding time for play and fun as well.

*<twinkles>*

fae