Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Why Do People Say Things

sammy1221

People say such mean things. My best friend drowned and even people who know me seem to say things that make me think of her or make me sad. Last year about 1 month after my best friend drowned my teacher used the expression "you'll drown in the water". I cried for probably an hour thinking of her and how she acctually did drown. Also I hate the song my happy ending, by avril lavigne, because she didnt have a happy ending, she suffered. At a school dance one of the people in my grade requested to play that song even though she knew i hated it. My other good friend and i spent almost the whole dance in tears because of the song and because our friend wasnt there. I cry alot when people say things like that and they say and do these things alot because they never think to watch what they are saying.

R.I.P Elizabeth

Edited by sammy1221

• 11 months later...

belive me i no how you feel. in a way. i didn't lose a friend but i lost my grandma and all of my friends always complain about how unfair or mean their's are. They don't realize that it hurts me. They don't understand what it does to me. At least they still have them...i don't have any. My friends could probably never understand until they lost all of their grandparents and only knowing two who weren't even on the same side of the family or anything. They don't know what they're doing. You should tell them that it hurts you...it should help at least a little. I wish you luck and strength.

God loves you.

• 2 months later...

:D Me too, I know 'exactly'how you feel because it happened to me too. Alot of people say things that they don't even know others can hear them. It happens 'especially' very much at school and it's soo frustrating. :angry: Half the time people don't even know they're doing it... I know someone who grieves really bad and it makes me whant to grieve with them I'll never forget the time when my best pal died ( my pet cat) she got run over a few years ago, I was soo close to her. She was more than just an animal to me and when I felt her presence; it was almost human-like. She would always follow me everywhere I whent, it was amazing and she would always keep me company...but now....(sigh):( sometimes I feel lonely....

Hey, good luck I'm very sorry about what happened to your friend. I can imagine what your going through... I know your friend is with you in spirit and she'll always be by your side....I hope that you will be able to move on from your grief because God is with her now...in a peaceful place...far, far, away.......... ^_^

I too know how this goes. For me however I hear it from people that don't know me and what I've been through. I lost a cousin who comitted suicide when he was fourteen. It was really hard for me because we were the same age. I remember a short time after I was at the public pool and one of the staff members was on top of the building and this boy kept yelling jump jump jump. I wanted to hurt him so bad because it was killing me inside. Another thing that upset me was.. (I am a student teacher learning how to be a teacher and I teach under a mentor) anyhow my mentor teacher's brother came and brought her lunch and he is a firefighter and he was talking about having to run to different schools on suicide attempts and it made me want to break down and cry. I however am stronger than that and kept cool. I know how hard it is, I really do.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I did not lose just a friend but my mom, I found out things after she died from people who knew me... I can not believe the way people talk about her now that she is gone... I spend many a nights crying in my pillow when I heard that people tell me that she was fat and did not know how to stop eating and that she did not care how she looked which were both wrong and hurtful things to say.... I hope that this helps Shelley

• 4 months later...

Sammy,

I think I know a little bit about how you feel. I'm sorry people have been so careless with you. I'm sure you've been told that it isnt there intention to hurt you and that they mean the best, but that dosnt make up for their rudness.

The hardest thing you'll go through is dealing with other people. It's perhaps the worst battle there is to face after a loved one's death (at least it was for me). I wish you only the best and hope you find the right people with the right words and much love in the future.

Good luck.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I lost my mom a month ago and I'm so easily hurt. I hate when people say "you need to move on" or "Life goes on"! I mean I lost my mom, I took care of her for 7 years and I would do anything in the world so she was comfortable. We always talked about life. I still feel like it was yesterday when I lost her.

• 1 year later...

People say such mean things. My best friend drowned and even people who know me seem to say things that make me think of her or make me sad. Last year about 1 month after my best friend drowned my teacher used the expression "you'll drown in the water". I cried for probably an hour thinking of her and how she acctually did drown. Also I hate the song my happy ending, by avril lavigne, because she didnt have a happy ending, she suffered. At a school dance one of the people in my grade requested to play that song even though she knew i hated it. My other good friend and i spent almost the whole dance in tears because of the song and because our friend wasnt there. I cry alot when people say things like that and they say and do these things alot because they never think to watch what they are saying.

R.I.P Elizabeth

i know exactly how you feel . my bestfriend drowned in water too . he was only 12 . and i cried for the same amount of time that you did . trust me i understand . it was two years ago for me. and i still can't get over it . and i hate it . i miss him so much . and about the whole song thingg , at homecoming, they played wake me up when september nds by green day and that was me and his favorite song to listen you with our friends. and i cried so muchh. people say ignrant things. its badd. you just have to try to ignore them and move on and thats really hard to do .