Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Holidays

My mom died last october and my dad passed away this past June. This is the first year where they'll both be gone. I've been very withdrawn lately i dont want to be with anyone for the holidays, I just want to be alone and I dont even really care about decorating my first apartment or putting up a tree. I'll figure out a way to afford to give everyone christmas presents. But I just want to do it early so everyone will leave me alone on Christmas Day. I didn't have a choice last Thanksgiving and Christmas because I was in foster care. I'm not sure what's bringing this out in me. My house is being sold the one i grew up in and I'm not sure if that's what's bringing this out or what. What do I do? I miss my family. I miss being happy and really caring about things.

I too, just lost my father (my mother died sixteen years ago) and I am in the process of selling the family home that I grew up in. It has such a finality to it. Under the circumstance, you have every right to not want to celebrate. I hope that in time, you will want to. I still miss my mother every Christmas. My mother had a zest for life. She wouldn't want me to grieve and be sad on the holidays. I celebrate to honor her.

You don't have to celebrate, but do something for yourself. Curl up with a good book or movie or whatever it is you like to do to escape.