Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Had To Delete George's Email Account

Why is it that every time something like this happens, we feel they're being removed farther and farther from us? This was his secondary account, I lost the primary one years ago when a hard drive crashed, so there wasn't anything important in there, but it's just the idea.

This morning I discovered the account was hacked into by someone from India two days ago and I had reason to believe they were still in there so I deleted the account. I feel violated.

Oh, Kay, I am so sorry. I do think that those who violate internet sites and services threaten us at a deep level..more than stealing something out of a car. Then when it is the account of someone we love who has died....that put it over the edge. I am so sorry. You WERE violated.

Peace in the rest of the day

Mary

What a terrible thing to happen, Kay. I am so sorry that it happened to you. I can't imagine the heartache. You are in my thoughts right now. I'll share any chocolate I have with you - and that's alot if you know me! Anne

I'm so sorry Kay. To lose pieces of your life, especially one of the communication pieces, and one that was private property, is just theft. A significant violation in so many ways. You were already dealing with so much, and you did not need this added insult to your grief and loss.

Sometimes, I think it is just too much for any of us to bear.

Yet, somehow, we keep going, we keep living, and we find reasons to go on.

I am so sorry for this invasion, intrusion, and theft. {{{hugs}}}

*<twinkles>*

fae

Dear Kay,

This just really stinks at so many levels at once. I'm sorry you have this to carry as well. Job has nothing on you.

Peace.

Harry

I think there needs to be stiffer penalties for hackers, maybe the death penalty? Kidding, but seriously, like maybe taking away their rights to have internet.

I agree on the penalties...I just wonder how hard it is to find these critters....so easy to hide when you know how.

Mary

They're smart...too bad they don't apply it on something useful!

Kay I am so sorry that happened to you. It truly does make you feel violated. I use Kathy's email more than my own and I need to have letters from me appear from her name when I write people who care about me and loved her. I can tell you that if that happened to me, I would start a new account slightly different. It is sad that we live in such a vulnerable place.

Stephen

Death cannot stop true love. It can only delay it for a while.

"the princess bride"

Thank you KATPILOT, that was one of my husband's favorites, too.

Peace and Blessings.

*<twinkles>*

feralfae

Kay, I'm so very sorry that happened to you. That's a terrible violation and loss. :(

(((((Hugs)))))

Why delete it...a lot of people keep the email and Facebook accounts of their beloved, just another connection...

Thanks, Marty. I have supplied my kids with my pw file and they have a list of all sites I've joined, plus email accounts; if they want to close my FB or memorialize it or leave it be, that will be up to them to decide. I don't have a preference, whatever is easiest on them. As of now my daughter has never joined FB so I reckon it'd be up to my son.

• 2 months later...

This is sad. Like your daughter i have never joined FB. Marcus and his girls are on it. I only saw his page a few times. Was just never interested in it. Our tablets are synced so i get his email still. I don't know which one of the girls is using his tablet, but the day someone unsyncs are tablets i'm going to lose what little peace i have found with having this piece of him.

That was very smart of you giving your kids that info.

Ahh, thank you, but it is how it is sometimes. Thank you for your good wishes! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Why is it that every time something like this happens, we feel they're being removed farther and farther from us? This was his secondary account, I lost the primary one years ago when a hard drive crashed, so there wasn't anything important in there, but it's just the idea.

This morning I discovered the account was hacked into by someone from India two days ago and I had reason to believe they were still in there so I deleted the account. I feel violated.

Kay,

I am new to this site but I lost my husband in January and feel like I am in an alternate reality that I can't get out of. I read your description of canceling your husbands e-mail account and I wanted to post something that happened to me. I have a facebook page which I started several years ago at my daughter's prompting. At the time, my husband was at home and loved to get on his e-mail, etc. so I started a facebook page for him. I could never get him interested in it so it stayed put in my "friends list". Well, I got on there the other day to see how I could delete it - since he's passed away now. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on it and saw another face. It was a face of a young man who claims he is Woody Schultz. That was my husband's name. I was appalled. He must have stolen my husband's identity. That had to be it. I told my son-in-law who is very computer savy and he told me how many people share "his" name. I can't even imagine that someone else shares my husband's name. After all, he was so unique and extraordinary and one of a kind. I sent a message to the young man which he did not respond to. I told him I had been married to Woody Schultz for 46 years and he certainly didn't look like MY husband.

Kay,

I am new to this site but I lost my husband in January and feel like I am in an alternate reality that I can't get out of. I read your description of canceling your husbands e-mail account and I wanted to post something that happened to me. I have a facebook page which I started several years ago at my daughter's prompting. At the time, my husband was at home and loved to get on his e-mail, etc. so I started a facebook page for him. I could never get him interested in it so it stayed put in my "friends list". Well, I got on there the other day to see how I could delete it - since he's passed away now. Imagine my surprise when I clicked on it and saw another face. It was a face of a young man who claims he is Woody Schultz. That was my husband's name. I was appalled. He must have stolen my husband's identity. That had to be it. I told my son-in-law who is very computer savy and he told me how many people share "his" name. I can't even imagine that someone else shares my husband's name. After all, he was so unique and extraordinary and one of a kind. I sent a message to the young man which he did not respond to. I told him I had been married to Woody Schultz for 46 years and he certainly didn't look like MY husband.

Conbon20, You are in an alternate reality...we all are. I remember canceling Bill's email account, and taking his name off of other accounts...like he no longer existed...when he does but just not physically. As for Woody Schultz on Facebook. There are many duplicates of people's names just as there are many on the planet. Keep looking as your husband's page should still be there. It is actually pretty hard to close a Facebook account...many people just leave them open. Of course it is hard to imagine someone having your husband's name...think of all the John Smith's on the planet. But that does not mean your husband was not unique...for you know he was. I know it had to be rather shocking to see someone else with his name.

Mary

If you try accessing your husband's page through your "friends" list you should come up with the right one.

I was on the phone with eBay the other day and wanted to know why they couldn't access my account with just my phone number...they told me others are using my phone number. I told them I live alone, I pay the bill, I've had the phone number for 36 years, no one else should be using it. They said, "Do you know a George?" My voice softened and just the sound of his name brought a smile to my face...I told him that was my husband, he's been deceased nearly eight years. They told me they'd take care of it, but then I felt a pang, like I got rid of him a bit more. Ahh, this is the odd path we're on.

Oh, Kay, it is an odd path. I remember removing Bill's name from his credit cards after he died. We had joint cards and each of us had cards as a back up in case something happened to one of us. I felt like I betrayed him for a while. Seems like a bunch of us are having memories from the past today.