Grief Healing Discussion Groups

annie2132013

My beautiful Annie 1 died 11-22-2010. She was a chocolate lab who loved me more than anything, and followed me everywhere We got her at seven weeks old and she lived until 12 1/2 years old. I said at the time that I couldn't get another dog; I still mourn her, and it has been over two years. We said no more dogs, but we rescued a beautiful one year old yellow lab, Annie 2. We had her for almost 2 years when she was diagnosed with an inoperable tumor, and had to be put to sleep. My pain is very great losing two dogs in two years. This time I really feel that it is just too much pain to bear, as I love my dogs deeply. I feel like I cannot go through this great pain again. Thank you for reading this; i need to write my feelings, as it helps me with the great loss of my beautiful labs. I am very heartbroken over the death of these two dogs. Please respond if you understand.

We so understand what you are saying here!

I am also facing losing my thrid dog this year. The first was last July, Boo bear, a collie lab was my therapy dog and only 8. the next was a basset foreven foster, abandoned by his rescue because he was a mean dog that I could handle. My sharpei has gone donehill this last week and I know what the vet will say when I take her in on Tuesday. My heart is full of whole from where they have been. I keep thinking of the number of pets that die alone and unloved. I will be going on to get another when she is gone, I hate being on this planet where we are separated from those we love through death, but as long as I am here, I am going to help one more soul because they are so alone! I am so sorry for your loss!

It was years after the dog that whom I had grown up with had to be put to sleep,that my folks decided to get another dog.

We had April Dawn for many many years and after she grew so sick and had to be put to sleep-I didn't think we would ever get another dog.

But both my folks-elderly and not well,both wanted nothing more than another dog-so christmas 2008 Santa left my mother a certificate for an dog from the humane society and ironically the night before my mother had asked me if I thought santa was going to bring her a dog-and he did!

So,no matter the pain I think in time you may find that you want to help another alone dog out there and give them a home for as long as they can have one.

I am sorry for your losses. I too have lost many dogs and cats and know the deep pain...but I just can't imagine life w/o them. It is a personal decision, some opt to adopt another, some say "that's enough", only you can decide what is right for you. I just pray for some peace to your heart.

That's a very good article, Marty. I must add that we have the capacity to love many, in different ways, for who they are. Each of my animals has had a place in my heart for who they were. One may not cancel out the hole in the heart another left, but will create their own special place within you.

It has been 5 days since my Annie died. I thank all of those who have written as it means very much to me. I have always been a listene,r and not a talker, so your written answers to my grief are heartwarming to me. I know that it will get better with time, but this death came out of the blue. She was OK one day, and not the next, with an inoperable tumor. I have spent my live helping people and I know I need help now. Thank you for listening.

annie2132013,

Keep coming here as long as you need...I know all too well how hard it is when our beloved pets die. It will take lots of time to heal, meanwhile, I just hope you can remember good times with her and smile through the tears, knowing she is in a good place and waiting for you.

I hope you will visit The Rainbow Bridge (doesn't always embed, might need to click on YouTube to view it).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw&feature=player_embedded

Oh Annie my heart goes out to you. Losing a pet best friend the way you describe is just so painful. Sounds like you were a great friend to both dogs, loving them, but letting them go when it was time. I worked as a veterinary technician for years and was always amazed at the strength of owners who knew that they needed to let go of pets, even if it was painful. They were lucky to have you! and you them!

Once again, thank you for the links to written material, as well as video. I still cry, but it makes me feel much better that other animal people know my great loss, as certainly some people do not understand. Thank you for listening, and writing to me; this has been a very good experience for me to know that others I do not even know can relate to my great losses.

• 1 month later...

Today is the day that we rescued our beautiful Annie 2, a yellow lab, 2 years ago. Annie would be about three today, still a young dog. I do not understand why she had to die about six weeks ago from an inoperable tumor, and why we had to endure this grief again after losing our other lab, a little over two years ago at the age of 12 1/2. I thought our second Annie would have a long life, as well. I miss them both, being a dog person all my life. I am happy that we were able to rescue Annie 2 and give her almost two years of long walks and much love, but my heart still is broken. Thank you for reading this, and understanding my pain.

I know, no matter how much time passes, the loss is still with us. Once someone has gotten into our hearts, it seems there they stay.

• 3 weeks later...

I wish i could say that I no longer grieve over the death of my two beautiful labs, but it isn't true. I wish that I could say that I have found peace, but I have not. I know that time will be the great healer, but time is slow. I cry as I write this, and still am not sure I can ever allow another dog in my life. Dogs are wonderful, but their life is so much shorter than ours. I have endured the death of many dogs; never have they died on their own, as I have had to endure euthanasia. Those who have had animals die on their own know the peace that comes from the animal dying on its' own course, and not having to make that decision of euthanasia.

I hoped that would happen for me, but it never has , as I have had to decide when my dog no longer has a life worth living - a terrible choice to make for a very loved dog. To those who are reading this, know that you did the best for your very loved animal, but know that the pain will be there for a long while. Reach out to other animal lovers who understand. I wish I could give you a hug, and cry with you, as we miss our animals so much,

annie2132013,

I don't think I've ever had a dog die on its own. A friend of mine did but then she felt terrible, that maybe she should have let him suffer so at the end, selfishly trying to keep him alive for her because she didn't want to let him go, so I don't think it's easy no matter how it occurs.

You're right that time is the only healer and it is slow. When my husband passed, I hated it when people told me "it'll just take time"; they were right, but it was annoying because I couldn't control time, couldn't speed it up, just had to endure it. Sometimes we can distract ourselves from grief for a time, but find it still waiting for us where we left off. It seems there's a certain amount of tears waiting to be shed regardless of when we choose to give in to them.

I'm just glad we have this site and each other to go through it with. It really does help.

• 2 months later...

It is now 4 months since my dog died. Am I better ? Not really, as I couldn't stop crying tonight, as I miss her very much. Time is slow; do I get another dog ??? I do not know if I can go through this great pain again. I guess only time will tell if am able to allow another dog to capture my heart. If you have any words of wisdom, let me know. Thank you in advance.

I'm sorry it's such a painful process, I do know it well. Deciding to get another dog is an individual decision that everyone decides different, but for myself, I'll probably always want a dog. I am so incredibly attached to my Arlie now I can't imagine what a wreck I'll be when the time comes to say goodbye, but he's middle aged so we have a while yet. Will I want another dog then? Probably...I can't imagine ever having a dog I enjoy and love so much as he has a very special personality that is just right for me, but I would say I'd have to be open to letting another furry soul touch my life. I look at it as a two way street, with them giving so much to me...and me giving so much to them. To give someone a needed home and a heart full of love is a precious thing, as your labs realized. I hope you get clarity in what you want to do from here.

"Time is slow; do I get another dog ??? I do not know if I can go through this great pain again."

I lost my sweet Kylie 4 months and 4 days ago and wondered the same thing. Not a day goes by that I don't cry for my pretty girl, I miss her so. Last month, the friend who helped me find Kylie called to tell me to take a look at the facebook page of the rescue group who brought my Kylie to me if I might be interested in getting another dog as they had just posted the picture of a dog that they had taken in that he thought I'd like. I wasn't really thinking I was ready, but I took a look anyway. A little above her picture, somebody posted "A Dog's Last Will and Testament". After reading that, there was no way I could say no when I was given the chance the following week to have Gracie come to stay with me for a while. I fostered her for a couple of weeks and then adopted her eight days ago.

I miss Kylie as much today as the day we said goodbye, and nothing will ever take her place in my heart. Since Gracie has been here though, I have found that there is room for her, too, and I love her so very much.

Do you get another dog? I don't know. I wasn't sure how it would work for me, but somehow, it did. Best wishes in whatever path you choose.

dogs-last-will.png

My friend, I cannot thank you enough for your beautiful post. Those whose grief is fresh may not be ready to heed its message, but that does not diminish its value. The reality is stated so well in this piece. I've added it to my Pet Loss board on Pinterest, and I deeply appreciate your bringing it to our attention. Thank you again

Thank you for sharing that, it made me cry! I'm glad you adopted Gracie; I know one never takes another's place, they are all unique and have those special qualities we love in them, but each one different. I pray you and Gracie have a long and happy life together.

Thank you, annie. As I said, I wasn't thinking I was ready for another dog but as events unfolded, it just seemed like the right thing to do. I don't know what changed aside from seeing the Dog's Last Will and Testament and thinking about how I had the chance to allow Kylie to give a gift to another dog in need. Maybe that's enough. Whateve the reason, it gave me the strength I needed to allow another dog into my life and my heart, knowing that one day I would have to say goodbye to her, too.

What works for one person doesn't necessarily work for another, though. I hope you find the answer that you're looking for, and I hope that it's that you can find a way yourself to allow another dog into your heart alongside your Annies. I can't tell you that will heal the pain as the hurt from the loss of my Kylie is with me every day. But then, the joy I have found with my sweet Gracie has turned out to be the most wonderful and unexpected gift anyone could ever hope for. I am trying as hard as I can to let that be Kylie's legacy, and to make sure the days with Gracie (and Mason, too- I don't want to leave him out) are filled with the kind of love that Kylie showed me was possible.

Here are some pictures of Gracie and Mason. Just having the chance to watch them play in the yard is more than i could have ever asked.

mg3.jpgmg2.jpgmg1.jpg

I love the one where she's on her back, laughing!