Grief Healing Discussion Groups

An article in our local newspaper and in newspapers across the nation tell of an Oregon woman's fight to access her deceased son's Facebook account. This is an article worth reading as it tells of the legal challenges we're facing. It seems "don't ask, don't tell" may be the most strategic method...just saying.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/news/sevendays/29518995-47/digital-facebook-access-law-williams.html.csp

For about a year and a half after Mike died, I did the "don't ask, don't tell" about Mike's FB account. However, I kept seeing his name come up as suggestions for someone to play a game, or others saw his name come up to add as a friend. So I finally contacted FB and had his FB account memoralized. I still can see all the pictures on his account, and all the posts. The big difference is that now his name does not show up as a suggestion to play games, or for others to add as a friend on FB. Up until I contacted them, because I had his log in password, I added pictures of him (he had not put many on himself), and allowed some additional friends to become friends on his account. The reason was that I knew, after it was memoralized, only people who were listed as his friends would have access to his FB page. His friends and myself can still post on his FB page, on his BD and at other times. It is a good way for his friends to leave messages about their memories of him. I have been satisfied with the way it worked out. According to the article, FB began offering memorialization of deceased members pages since the problems the Oregan lady had. So sorry that she lost her son's pictures, posts.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

I guess a person could make the pictures "public" before memorializing so friends that weren't "FB friends" could view them, but if you do that, it's public forever so I'm not sure I'd want to. You can download them beforehand though.