Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Happy Day I Hope...

So I went over to where my Mom and Dad lived.There is this big rock that my Dad found when I was very young and put it at the end of the driveway,when we moved them about 10 years ago they took the rock to the new place,when they passed away my brother was going to take the rock.I just found out that he didn't take it so I went over there after work and it's still there.I left a note in the door with my number on it.Hoping the people that live there now will call me.I want that rock.I know it sounds silly,it's just a rock but to me it's not just a rock....My Dad painted it every year since I was little,and it means alot to me....I have to have it.....PLEASE CALL ME SOON......

My dear friend, how I can relate to your post! When we sold our last home, I had a special place in the yard that held rocks and stones my husband and I had collected from all the places we've visited over the years. (We decided some years ago that this would be an inexpensive way to bring back a souvenir from each of our travels.) The most precious stone in that pile was the Petoskey stone my father had used as a paper-weight on his office desk. He had it polished, and one day (long before he died) he presented it to me as a gift. Just before we turned the house over to the new owner, we visited the yard one last time, just so I could retrieve my pile of stones and rocks ~ and the most precious one of all is that Petoskey stone. I hope these people call you soon, and I hope you get that rock!

I hope so much that they call you soon, but if they do not, keep trying to get a hold of them...they may not realize quite how important this rock is to you. I understand...my brother cleaned out my mom's place and I wasn't able to be there because the day he scheduled to do it I had too much snow to travel. As a result, I got nothing of my parents...the thought that a lot of it went to St. Vinnie's and us kids didn't get anything is a little hard to take. I try to tell myself it's "just things" but we both know it's more than that.

Keep going...maybe if you can catch them home. Do you suppose they are away for a few days?

When my dad and uncles built the house we all lived in for over 40 years, they put their name and the date in the cement. i so wanted to take that out when the house was sold, but did not do it. How I wish i had it now. Also, when my mom passed away, we bought a head stone for both my mom and dad, i wish now i had asked for the old one that was my dad's. i would have loved to have brought it to my house and put it in the yard. Does that sound sick? i hope not.

No I don't think it sounds sick at all. I totally understand. I wish I had something tangible...I had George cremated and scattered his ashes in our back yard. When the time comes to move, I have nothing to take with me. That's going to feel weird.

There is something about residing in this very physical world...we want something to see, feel, touch. When they leave us, we don't have that, even though they still exist, and it bugs us, we need to latch onto something, be it a headstone, urn, lock of hair, something!

I'm so glad for you!

• 4 weeks later...