Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

I saw that and saw your little babies running their weight off and laughed. I think your pup gave the vets a big message when she pooped on the floor before her grand exit. :D As nice as the staff is, our pups are not nuts about vets.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think Kitty has had the same thing and is slowly improving, and I think it's, therefore, contagious. I do not think it's Colitis, I've seen Colitis many times, and he doesn't exhibit that. He IS, however, doing better. I'm going to try introducing his dog food, so he'll be on some of each today. I tried the pumpkin last night with his mix and he readily ate it. His spirits and energy has marked improvement today. I am amazed at the lack of concern exhibited by his out-of-town veterinary clinic. I need to find another one, I should start calling around and asking questions.

A friend of mine called last night and said he's going to have to put his youngest dog down. He cried. I've known him for 38 years and never heard/seen him cry. My heart goes out to him. I offered to go with him today, but he declined, probably uncomfortable with showing that kind of emotion and maybe wanting to be alone with his dog as he says goodbye.

Arlie weighs 117 now and that's about 17 too much. It's very hard to put them on a diet...they don't like it any better than we do. In a way, even less, because they don't understand why we're depriving them and they have such a strong instinct for eating, esp. if they've ever been truly hungry as I suspect Arlie was before I met him.

I am so glad he and your cat are doing better. I wonder if they got into something...but whatever...they are better and that matters more than anything.

Bentley has put on about 4 pounds of what I call winter weight (as have I) so now that the streets are not icy....it is a 2 times a day walk and I cut treats almost out when he gets a few pounds on. He would eat until he burst if I let him. He gets shots this next week so I will weigh him in and see exactly what he must lose...but I can tell when he is up even 3 pounds.

So glad he is better. Keep the news coming. I like having a pet topic....

I don't think there was anything for them to get into. But they could have picked up a virus or something...I have one cat that goes in and out more and she could have brought something in to them.

I'm glad you are smart enough to nip it in the bud, Mary...goldens are notorious for obesity. And I'm afraid I've spoiled Arlie. I might not be able to get 17 lbs off him but I definitely don't want him to gain any more weight and would like to have him lose a bit, anything is better than nothing.

He does seem better today so I'm getting him back on dog food, while continuing some of his mixture with probiotics in it. I think Kitty will resolve hers on her own. You can't make a cat do anything they don't want to so I have less control over her diet than Arlie's. She wants her catfood, period. I used to give her cheese as a treat for taking her medicine, then suddenly she abhored it, just like that. This week I tried chicken breast as a reward to her and nothing doing! She always loved chicken before! It's like, if it's MY idea, forget it!

Dear Kay,

I am so very happy to hear Arlie is doing better. Is there any chance he might have picked this up at the vet's? It seems a probably option to me. And I do hope you find a vet who is a little more in tune with you and Arlie. Now that the kitty is doing better as well, we know that this is going to be all right. Good.

I hope your mind and heart are at ease, and you can rest and enjoy playing with your family, and be happy for their recovery.

Thank you for letting us all know about this! Quite the drama for us all, I think! How good that it is resolving with a happy ending.
*<twinkles>*

fae

I hadn't thought of that, but it's a very real possibility. I took him to the park today, he liked that.

Arlie is sick again, this time worse. Vomiting and Diarrhea, can't even keep 1/4 c. mix w/Probiotics down. Letting his tummy rest today and will try him on it in minute quantities tomorrow. Poor baby, I woke up at 5 this morning and he was waiting for me and told me he HAD to go outside, and didn't waste any time. What other dog do you know, when they're sick, will WAIT for you to wake up? I'm about at my wit's end, not knowing what's wrong with him.

Dear Kay,

I am so sorry to hear this news of Arlie.

I am looking for your phone number, and will look in my mail box.

Have you tried Pedialite?

I know one of my aunties used to give it to her Corgies when their tummies were in knots, as she would explain to us. Her other food for them was cooked rice that was boiled in chicken stock, then blended with more chicken stock to make a gruel. She would let them lick just as much as would fit in an old coin spoon, which I think is about 1/8 cup in size. Then she would wait a couple of hours, and give them another spoonful.

I don't know if that will work with Arlie, but it seemed to cure her loves.

I am just hoping that Arlie is all better very soon.

Much Love, and praying for you and Arlie,

fae

Later, talked with Kay, and of course, planner she is, there is already a plan in place for Arlie.

It was very nice to hear your lovely voice, Kay, and to visit with you.

:)

fae

Oh no, Kay, haven't kept up with this site for a few days. I went thru the pumpkins days w/ my maggie, she did like to eat it but I did not see improvement in her stomach issues. Her poop was never right, sorry everyone reading this. Last year she had a spell of vomiting, diarrhea and her face looked pitiful, she could barely walk. Rushed her to the vet, they kept her and had IV fluids but initially they thought she had been poisoned because her liver was in distress. She stayed a few days, came home with medicine and supplements. She hasn't had a spell that bad since then but a very touchy stomach. Anything different in her diet and off she goes. One food that firmed her poop that was recommended by another dog owner is Purina Pro Plan for sensitive stomachs in dry and canned. Not cheap but the canned immediately helped her stomach. I still add some to her food. Also there is a medicine the vet gave her for infection in the intestines. Make sure he is drinking something, even if broth. Cooked rice and broth, a couple of tiny pieces of chicken added is the best start. Let us know how he is, if I think of anything else I'll email you, Deborah

Kay, I can not imagine how frustrated you must feel on your own and on Arlie's behalf. I do hope this chapter comes to an end and Arlie is well again. Bentley does wait to go out. He comes and stands and stares at me. It must be the Golden in both of them.

Hi, I just made another batch, this one more liquidy, but will wait for tomorrow to try him out on it as I'm letting his tummy/system rest today completely. Poor dog, I'm sure he thinks he's starving! I have to put him out in the pen when I eat as I don't have the heart to eat in front of him. :(

Fae, thanks for calling, I truly am exhausted trying to figure this out w/seemingly no help from the vet. I plan to call another vet tomorrow. Of course, since he's off food right now he won't have a stool sample for me to take in tomorrow but perhaps by Tues. I'll have something for them to test. I still think it's intestinal infection and don't understand why they wouldn't test his stool for it when I brought it in. It could be viral or bacterial, but I do think it's intestinal not Colitis, ahh what do I know, I'm just Arlie's mom!

Deborah, it sounds like you've been through it too, not fun!

Amazing that they won't test his stool which his mom (you) suggest it. Time for a new vet perhaps...new opinion...new attitude. Do let us know. I am really concerned and I know every one is. He is now OUR dog you know :wub:

Love

Mary

I called around and found a new vet. They want me to solicit the records transfer, which I'm dreading. It's more expensive than the other place but what's a few dollars if they're more welcoming to your companion? I'm hoping so... I may hold off transferring records until I've actually brought Arlie in to see them, I want to get a feel for how it goes first.

Right now Arlie is at home while I'm working and hopefully keeping the little bit of food down that I gave him this morning, I can't wait to get home and check on him. Unfortunately, I have a dental appt. after work.

He is now OUR dog you know :wub:

I get that! :)

Okay, you wanted an update...Arlie is by no means "well" yet but he is feeling better than yesterday, a burst of energy and he thinks he's starving to death! I'm doling out little portions of my mixture to him every couple of hours tonight. He didn't vomit the bit I gave him this morning, so that is good, but his stools are still bits of mush. Hoping he continues improving!

So glad he is better but waiting (as you are) for a record of great health and healing...do you have a vet appt?

I am reading posts backwards. not brilliant on my part but so tired I did not care. I do see you taking Arlie to a new vet and I would not transfer files now at all. You want this new vets opinion without it being colored by the last vet's opinion. A shot record would be wise for sure so he does not get duplicate shots. Do keep us informed.

Mary

I'm waiting and watching for now, since he's once again showing small signs of improvement. I can't believe he was doing so well Sat. and then big setback Sunday and I don't even know why! At least he's holding food down now, even if his stools aren't good yet. His spirits were great last night, so was his energy level. And he tells me he is starving to death! LOL I'm still going easy on quantity. Last night I doled it out to him every hour a little bit. This morning I got a tiny bit of mix & his Probiotic down him, waiting about an hour then gave him some more mix. and 1/4 c. dogfood. (That's not much considering he usually eats 2 c. twice a day.) He was so grateful for that little bit of dogfood, I feel bad not giving him more but I want to watch and see how he does first.

Kay, I am so glad Arlie has you for a mom...he could not ask for more...that is for sure.

Mary

Mary,

That is so true.

Kay, you are such a wonderfully loving and caring person. Arlie is very lucky.

I hope he continues to improve.

And I also hope you have time for rest and some relaxing.

*<twinkles>*

fae

For Queen Mary from the other Mary

Arlie slowly improving. Hasn't thrown up any more, spirits good, energy good, appetite, stools slowly improving a bit each day.