Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Congratulations, Arlie!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So cute! You guys are great. Why is my news always short lived?

That dog is going to be the death of me! My life would be so dull without him.

Tonight I came home (it's the pits when you live to examine dog poop) and checked out his pen and noted his poop look much better, I was so happy! THEN>>>I brought him in the house and fed him his mixture. I put my Taco Soup (complete with beans) on the counter, pushed WAY back, and decided to get him a tiny bit of dog food. I noticed I'd tracked dog poop in the house so cleaned that up and turned back to the kitchen...and that's when I SAW: Arlie standing up to the counter eating MY taco soup! Now I don't mind that my soup is gone, what I DO mind is this is NOT going to fare well in his system. My system didn't like it, HIS system is going to major rebel! Grrr, Arlie! I made him go lay down, he was in serious trouble. But not half as much trouble as his system's going to be in in a few hours. Awwck!

He is an amazing critter...and obviously hungry for people food. Maybe he will handle it. He is a counter surfer...Bentley did that once at about 6 month...stole a boneless chicken breast when my back was turned, raced to the living room. He froze when I approached. I opened his cute little mouth to find the entire breast laying on his tongue. First and last time for food stealing thank goodness. At that age he managed to steal others items however. I truly hope Arlie digests this and is fine. Let us know. This furbaby needs all the parents he has here..it takes this many to worry about him. :)

Mary

I am just here laughing and shaking my head.

I guess Arlie is better. Taco Soup from the counter sounds much better to me.

If you need to, there is the bits of boiled rice again, I suppose.

What a lot of entertainment, worry, and relief we get from Arlie, true. He is a superb story-maker of a dog.

Thank you Kay, for letting us all know. I am not only keeping you two in prayer, but also smiling wryly at dear Arlie.

Much Love,

fae

ahh you guys are funny. Yes, takes a village to raise a dog, indeed! They should have saved on training the dog for Marley and Me because Arlie could have played the part w/o any coaching, and a whole lot cuter too! (That's what saves his bacon again and again).

I still have some rice gruel fae, he's getting it for breakfast...that is if he gets to have breakfast!

That dog IS going to be the death of me, LOL! He made it through the night, a little gassy, but didn't have to go outside & do anything. I'll see how he does when I get home from work. He's on his rice gruel again, which he doesn't mind, he likes it. Poor dog, he was probably truly hungry, he usually doesn't touch my food, but I guess the temptation was too much for him after starving all week.

Whew!! I am so glad he got through the night without an incident or getting sick. There IS a light in this tunnel...and hopefully no more tunnels of any kind for a while.

Amazingly enough, Arlie gets a great report tonight! I put him back on dog food and will give him enough mix to get his Probiotics down in the am. Yay, I couldn't be happier!

Good for you, Arlie

http://kvpr.org/post/bacteria-dog-lovers-skin-reveal-their-affection

This piece discusses the bacteria found on the human bodies of those who live with dogs and the possibility that our immune system is positively affected by living with a dog. Frankly I could have told these researchers that a long time ago. :P

Hi Kay,

I might suggest that if Arlie's output becomes less than wholesome again that you cut the probiotics in half for a couple of days. They may be "overcharging" his already tender tummy and intestines.

Yes, I talked with my Auntie last night, and she had talked with her vet in Galveston, and sometimes Goldens can get too much probiotics during recovery from intestinal upsets, apparently, which causes watery output and can upset the upset.

Now you even have my aunt on your care team, Arlie.

For what it is worth...

*<twinkles>*

fae

Oh, Mary, I would think the joy of a dog would also boost the immune system.

There is so much symbiosis between canines and humans, for such a long, long time. I don't think the relationship would have lasted through the eons were this not so, do you? I mean, few of us run with badgers or wolverines, after all. :)

All right, the delivery people will be here soon and I must prepare a space for them to bring in the new guest bedroom things.

Happy Day!

*<twinkles>*

fae

Kay, I just had to laugh when I read about Arlie's stealing food. If Sassy's legs were longer, she would do it all the time. If I leave anything on the edge of the table, she is able to scarf it up....she cannot reach the cabinet however. Glad it did not seem to hurt him.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Aransas

I was going to comment on the probiotics earlier but it was just my experience with them. I have a terrible stomach, probably irritable bowel, everything runs thru me, mostly just stress. But I've tried pretty much everything over the years, the probiotics did not agree with me, I think if I tried them again I would have to do it very gradually. My thoughts were it was getting rid of the bad bacteria but it definitely upset my stomach for awhile and I stopped because it seemed to be making things worse, maybe I didn't do it long enough. I just thought maybe Arlie was having the same experience. I really wish you could try some of the can food I told you about, it was remarkable with my Maggie. And its NOT the stuff the Vet would always push on me, we tried it and it did not help, nor did she like it at all. This was recommended by a friend who's dog was having stomach issues. Hope Arlie is having a good day and you too Kay!! Deborah

Grief Speaks “It may be a cat, a bird, a ferret, or a guinea pig, but the chances are high that when someone close to you dies, a pet will be there to pick up the slack. Pets devour the loneliness. They give us purpose, responsibility, a reason for getting up in the morning, and a reason to look to the future. They ground us, help us escape the grief, make us laugh, and take full advantage of our weakness by exploiting our furniture, our beds, and our refrigerator. We wouldn't have it any other way. Pets are our seat belts on the emotional roller coaster of life--they can be trusted, they keep us safe, and they sure do smooth out the ride.”
― Nick Trout, Tell Me Where It Hurts: A Day of Humor, Healing and Hope in My Life as an Animal Surgeon

Pets are our seat belts on the emotional roller coaster of life--they can be trusted, they keep us safe, and they sure do smooth out the ride.

What a terrific description this is, Mary ~ thanks so much for finding this and sharing it with all of us. I love it!

I have never read such an appropriate description. I think I will pin it....so I have it. :wub:

Oh, Marty, this picture says so much. The dog is lonely and waiting and the "owner" (can we own a being?) will be so happy and less lonely when s/he gets home. Bentley greets me when I come home...it helps as I enter the house. I swear he knows I am on my way and gets to the door before I even get close to the driveway. According to Sheldrake's research that is exactly what happens.

Perfect cartoon

Mary