Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love the poster. I know it is not time for me to have a dog with all these changes, but once I am settled, well, we will see then. I have one Goddog, Hidey, who is a beautiful red lab who wins her field trials and is a great retriever with Godson Jason as her coach. She is very good-natured and kind as well. Quite a change from Corgis, Westies, and border collies. Peaceful.

Kay, Aunt Fay wants to know how Arlie is doing. I told her I would let her know by Monday. And I am thinking no news is good news, right?

I am pushing curfew tonight, but I had a long nap today. And I don't leave until 10 tomorrow morning, on a lovely drive. But if a blizzard hits, I will stay home. Not use being stressed if not necessary.

*<twinkles>*

fae

You guys are so great! I missed a lot of posts not being on here yesterday! Marty, your picture reminded me of seeing Arlie standing up, back towards me, eating MY soup at the counter! He's almost as tall as I am! Jan, you are fortunate that Corgis are short, tall dogs can be a handful! :) fae, I will keep your suggestion (about Probiotics) in mind. They recommend 1 tsp. pwdr./day, whether big dog or small and since he's on the big end, I wouldn't think it would need cut back, the vet said it was supposed to be healing, so now I'm puzzled. Deborah, I will keep that in mind, thanks for the tip! I know Arlie can't handle "Wellness" that the vets sometimes promote, but when he's healthy, his dogfood seems to be great for him. I like it because it doesn't have the filler and all the bad stuff. Mary, thank you for the quote, it is so true!

Okay, now to report, Arlie has been perfectly "normal" the last two days! I even took him to the park today. :) We're planning our trip to my son's (two hours away) to the dog park there for the first Sat. in May to celebrate Arlie's wellness (it had to be postponed when he got sick).

fae, I must have missed something...where are you heading tomorrow? Have a safe journey and get lots of sleep tonight!

I am relieved to know Arlie is fine! So very glad.

Mary

Hi Kay,

I was supposed to have headed out already this morning to land in White Sulphur Springs, Montana, but about noon, for a tour of a mansion and then a dinner party. But the drive is through a mountain range, with twisting and slippery roads, so our host postponed the party (a usual thing this time of year) and we will have the dinner party later. I think we missed the open house of the big, art-filled mansion however.

I am just so happy that Arlie is doing well. I already sent an email to my Aunt to let her know. Such good news for us all, and you, Kay, certainly need a few worry-free days after this long time of Arlie and work pressures. You have so much going on in your life!

I am glad things are getting better, and I am still tossing *<twinkles>* for a better working environment for you.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Jan, Oh you are so right! What was I thinking!

A friend's friend's dog (I think they are friends) died today because it had been nibbling on and off from a plant called heliotrope which caused liver damage. I am posting it here for your information and to pass on. Here is the post from Facebook:

FB friends, we got the biopsy report back and with great sorrow I must share this....Our darling girl died from the toxin in this plant that I have on my deck. It is called heliotrope and is highly toxic, causes total liver destruction. The pathologist said our angel had the worst liver damage he's ever seen. Goldie would nibble at the leaves of this plant every so often and we had no clue it was toxic. (It can come in white or purple.) Please share with any dog owners you know to hopefully prevent their dog from becoming a statistic like Goldie. We are even more heartbroken now knowing her death was preventable. Please share her story so that something positive may come of it and create awareness of toxic plants. Our own vet had no idea this was a toxic plant!!
I checked Snopes and it IS toxic to dogs, pigs, cows and horses. The post is confusing because it does not explain how they connected the death to the plant but the plant IS toxic to dogs and the dog had been eating it.

post-14525-0-12075200-1366688704_thumb.j

Mary, I'm sorry to hear of this. It is also toxic to cats. Here is a rather exhaustive list of plants toxic to pets:

http://www.nujournal.com/page/blogs.detail/display/177/These-Plants-are-Toxic-or-Lethal-to-Pets---.html

Thanks, Marty! His findings don't surprise me. Dogs can be very smart but they think differently than we do, different things drive them (food, for instance). My dog will do pretty much anything for food!

Thanks for this list, Kay. I will forward it. I need to check it against my yard but Bentley is not drawn to eating plants. But will check anyway. Thanks. Mary

Marty, so glad you posted this. I saw it earlier and then lost it. I will read it later. You are clearly right...our dogs here are smarter than the average dog out there. It is easily the result of having such intelligent moms and dads. :wub:

Peace

Mary

I was compelled to post on this thread because it mentioned "finned". I put in a koi pond when we first moved into our home fifteen years ago. Our backyard became such a pleasant place as we added plants and fish to it. A lady gave us bullfrog tadpoles which we enjoyed watching develop until they became frogs and added a turtle as well. The balance was one of beauty and serenity which attracted birds of all kinds, dragon flies and the sort. It was a few years back when we started to spend summers in Canada being with Kathy's sick mom and helping, that we realized we could not keep the pond up and had to give up the koi. We lost our dog Mindy about then as well but we had each other and knew that after her parents passed, we would be free to travel and enjoy our lives away from home. Sadly that just didn't work out and I was left with no pets but a beautifull back yard. I know I can never have another dog. Mindy was so special and as she never was around other dogs, she could never deal with another animal in our house. Since Kathy wanted to be combined with Mindy, and I will one day be in the mix as well, I just can't deal with a dog I would become attached to. I know it sounds silly but it is the way it is. I also have to work long days and it would not be fair to have the poor dog alone all of the time. I also want to travel and see things Kathy and I always planned on.

Having said that, I am brought back to the realization that the pond is still there. I need to put fish back into it. They always bring peace to me. I can watch them for hours. If I go away, for short trips, they are fine. (automatic feeder). They just don't cuddle real well.

This thread gave me the idea.

Stephen,

I'm so glad that idea came to you, and I think you're right...it will be a place of serenity for you, as you watch your fish. You'll have to post a picture for us when you're ready to. And I do understand about your not getting another dog...I've always had dogs, I couldn't imagine life without them, but now, having Arlie, we are so close, I can't imagine having another dog someday...almost like it wouldn't be fair to them because I can't imagine ever being as close to another creature as I am with Arlie...but who knows. I just know we have to do what is right for us, and deep down inside, we know.

An update on Kitty...I made the mixture like my friend suggested, and she LOVES it, so no problem getting the Probiotics into her! Day two of her dose, so I'm hoping she'll now be on her way to her healing...it's been 2-3 weeks she's had problems with her system, time for her to get well!

Kay glad your kitty is liking the probiotics in her food. Hopefully she will heal now. Glad Arlie is doing well. I laughed at the post where you mixed Jan and I up...I knew I was the one with the silly Corgis...They certainly keep me entertained. Poor Faith thinks she is supposed to keep the fenced yard free of squirrels....she runs along, looking up at them leaping from tree to tree....the little nut is going to run straight into a tree someday! Not been feeling real well lately, I think some of it has to do with the dramatic changes in weather here, from really warm to freezing the next day. I ache all over, especially this silly foot I had surgery on earlier. At least the dogs keep me moving, and entertained. I cannot imagine being without them...

Mary (Queeniemary) in Aransas

Yeah, I knew who had the Corgis, I think I just remembered wrong who I was responding to...old age, best excuse I can come up with!

We used to have lots of squirrels but one of our cats made it their mission to run them all off, years later and still don't see them, but too many cats roam the neighborhood now, even though my two cats are spoiled and like the indoor life.

Mary, do you have a cast on or anything? The weather is crazy, isn't it! Last week I had one day where I woke up to snow on the ground/snowing, later on hail, rain, and sunshine, all in one day...oh and thunder that night! This week it's sunshine, next weekend the rain is supposed to return. As long as the snow is gone!

I hope you get to feeling better!

KatPilot, I am so glad you found a way to bring animal life into your life again. I know you can't pet a fish but they do respond especially at feeding time and it brings life to your yard. Someday, you may change your mind about a dog...never say never...maybe after you've traveled. We lost our first dog in 2000 and in 2004 we got our Bentley just before Bill's health began to take a turn that we noticed and could not deny...Alzheimer's. Bentley is now a registered therapy dog but truthfully he was our therapy dog since the first moment we saw him at 2 weeks of age. I know that in 3 to 5 or 6 years he will be gone and I know only too well that I will grieve his loss deeply. I can not bear to think about it. But the love he has brought to me and to Bill I would never ever want to have been without. I also know that when he does die, I will eventually get another dog...and maybe, just maybe you will also. And if not...of course, that is your choice and I understand the pain of loss believe me, but I also understand the joy of love...two sides of a coin. I am so very glad the peace of koi swimming brings you peace. I used to have fish tanks with salt water fish and I do know how calming they are. I am so glad you did this for yourself. Good for you!!!! Mary

Mary, I do believe our bodies are barometers. I broke my ankle many years ago (playing racquetball) and it still reminds me of weather changes. We are up and down here also. Today was sunny and lovely, though chilly and I saw at the river's edge for a while on a break from an art workshop. I hope the sun comes out and stays where it belongs. This is getting ridiculous....Feel better...fast!

mary, the other one

Well, Bentley is speaking for me. He is standing in the dining room looking into the kitchen and seeing the tarps on the floor, cabinets and windows covered in brown paper and plastic, kitchen table draped in a tarp, chairs gone...he is really growling and barking. He took a nap and went to the kitchen and I think he forgot how it looked. He has been growling there and barking (he rarely barks and never growls) for several minutes now...not sure how long I will let him continue but he deserves a chance to express his frustration also. He won't go into the kitchen... he does not like the tarps on the floor. I had to order him to cross the kitchen to go out a bit ago. Our pets DO GET IT :excl:

The kitchen coupled with about 6 fire trucks screaming down the road is creating a tough time for him. He has, now settled down, on his own....at my feet.

Awe poor Bentley! I hope he was able to get all his frustration out. Animals are such a gift to us humans.

Poor Bentley! It is good that he can express himself freely. We forget sometimes that things don't just affect us, but our pets too. I know when my DIL's puppy, Mozzy was here visiting, on about the third day of her overbugging him (he loves it at first but then enough is enough!) Arlie got cantankerous and growled at her to leave him alone. She didn't and after several warnings he finally nipped her. He'd never done that before but then she kind of pushed his buttons to the limit. Sometimes they just want everything back to normal, they have their comfort zones too!