Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

Kay, I had a "boot" on for several months, but never a cast, the surgery is actually on two toes on the left foot. They are actually healing well, just that the weather changes bother them, along with all the joints in my body!!

You are right, other Mary, our bodies are barometers.....the older I get, the better my body is at predicting the weather!! Growing old is not for the faint of heart... I feel pretty good most of the time, that is why I get so grumpy when I ache!

We are having thunderstorm (hail and lots of thunder) this morning. Faith just takes it in her stride...Sassy is laying at my feet right now, as close to me as she can get. I hope there is a break in the storms soon, I am sure they both need to go out, and there is no way I could coax Sassy out right now!

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bentley finally settled down when I got the treats out. He is a lot like me...no more big changes!

I wakened to chaos that is now well under my skin. I have not had a shower in two days as the shower/tub is sealed in plastic. I will go to a friend's today as the painters just arrived and will also be here tomorrow. I have discovered that one bathroom door is sealed shut and the other is sealed open so have to leave the house to use a bathroom. My bathroom has two doors. It used to be a bedroom and someone put two doors in so you can enter from the bedrooms or the kitchen. What can I say? The house is really a disaster and I find my insides are coming to match it. I will take Bentley for the longest walk and maybe drive of his life....it is sunny out and will get into the 60s today. I am way too tired to unpack all my art gear and put it all where it belongs and I can not get into my art room anyway....I actually can't get into the garage either...have to fix that. I am really experiencing (not just knowing or feeling) how important our homes are to us during these times of loss. A safe place even if it is a new home one had to move to after the loss. I am now feeling quite tearful and agitated today after 3 weeks of chaos and it feels beyond me to calm down. So I am going to see if I can find a spot by the river today and meditate there a couple of times. I know the mystics can meditate anywhere but I challenge them to meditate here. My therapy dog mentor said she had the entire house done at once and she may as well moved for all the work it was.

Even getting Bentley's schedule set up for his therapy dog work has proven tricky. I will be mentored at a local nursing home (fine with me). On the first trip I follow her and her pup. She then follows me (and Bentley) within 8 days but not evenings or weekends. Bentley needs a bath at the groomer's within 24 hours of our visit. So getting my mentor's schedule, the nursing home schedule (they want to monitor the first visits), the groomer's schedule and mine to mesh means we do not start until June which right now feels just fine for me. I am seeing that this therapy dog adventure is not simple. Is anything simple? The rules are really abundant (all insurance based imho...and I refuse to have him groomed any more frequently than once a month as it is just not good for him and it is expensive. Soooo once a routine is set up he will visit once a month and perhaps get two visits in within the 24 hour time frame. This means we cannot do final exam week at the UW because he must be mentored first. Oh, well. Have I complained enough?

Painters have arrived and I burst into tears as I talked with her (he had not gotten inside yet). Yikes! This is NOT me! We discussed the plan and I at least feel they know where i am at and we HAVE a plan. They will be done (crossed fingers) painting by Wednesday. She will do the kitchen cabinets, clean and treat outsides only, and then these painters will disappear from my life by Friday at the latest, one week from today. So I have to hang in here. No choice. Done venting...for now. I may have to turn this into an article on change, the importance of our nests, etc. for the grieving.

Time to get in the car-go get some breakfast somewhere, A shower later when I can get to my stuff....all of this if i can figure out how to get into the garage-as the way is all taped off :angry2::(:wub: Mary

Good Morning, Mary from Spring Green. I will respond to your post above but first I'm sending a response to Mary in Arkansas. I am smiling (not at your frustration) but at seeing such a different Mary. You are usually our rock and you are so centered. I'll respond to you after I send this post to the other Mary. anne

Oh Mary (from Arkansas) sometimes I wonder how any of us can have just one or two dogs in our lives! They bring such entertainment and love to us humans. I saw this video today and I thought of you and your corgis. Benji is a little like Sassy in that he likes to stay very close to me especially at times when there are strange noises around the house. Yesterday the landscapers came (they were supposed to come on Monday!) and when Benji heard the trimmers going he wanted to climb up on my lap. It wasn’t until I opened the door so he could see what was going on that he settled down.

I know how frustrating those storms can be. Sometimes they seem like they will never let up. I have always loved the southern region of our states because of the lush green growth and the wild assortment of wildflowers that always seem to be present especially after a storm. Now I have discovered that there is this beauty (only different) in Arizona. Who would think that the desert could light up in a brilliant assortment of color but it does.

Enjoy the corgi video.

Anne

Mary, I am so sorry that you are still battling this chaos in the house. I am glad that the sun is shining and that you have a friend to go to. Bentley will be one happy dog to be treated with that long walk. I have always liked order whether it is in my home or was in my classrooms. I probably border on OCD when it comes to most things. I am one that has to have my bookshelves in theme order – I can’t leave more than two books on tables at one time. I may be reading more than three at a time but I always place them back in their spot! My kitchen counters look like no one lives here most of the time. I’m always looking for a blender or toaster – why don’t I just leave things out – no one is going to notice! You would have laughed at me if you had beamed yourself over for dinner to see how long it took me to arrange the tulips around the house! I kept cutting the stems down because they just didn’t look right! Martha Stewart would have been proud. I think I need a job! Dinner was good and the dinner ended early which was good for me. A small party - five - I missed Jim but I was with those who 'get it'. It was nice enough to be out on the patio both before and after dinner. Guess who stayed up and cleaned the eating area, ran the dishwasher and put everything away before I went to bed!

Bentley’s therapy schedule sounds intense but I’m sure that when the house is back in order that will all fall into place. I agree with you about the grooming – I don’t know if I would want Benji groomed that often.

I know how frustrated you must be, Mary. You have been dealing with so many things these past months that have kept you right on the edge. Yes, you will hang in because that is who you are. It is something very real to think about for those of us who are grieving. The least change can send us into turmoil and tears. That is when I usually go into my hole – you know – that place where we just sit and be still and don’t want to come out. Please take a shower and make them open up one of the bathrooms today… otherwise, beam yourself over to Arizona. Don’t forget Bentley. Anne

Mary, dear Mary, my heart hurts for you, and all I can say is that, if I were in your shoes, I'd be reacting exactly the same way. You need your nest, your safe place, your refuge. I'm so sorry it's taking so long to get your house in order, but I'm glad you got some sort of commitment from your painters regarding an end point. I hope you will find the quiet places you need to tap into your meditation practice today . . .

Anne, the video is adorable. Is there anything cuter than a puppy?

My sister just sent this one to me, and I hope you all enjoy it:

Thanks, Anne and Marty, You do know it is pretty tough for me to complain and it is a relief to know you, Marty, would react in a similar way and you, Anne, understand the need for order. I am not a fanatic by any means. I do have my toaster on the counter, Anne :P though I also clean up after company leaves so I waken to order. I have a pile of "to read" books and keep them together on a shelf but the pile next to my chair can get unruly from time to time. I do not need everything just right or stark but I need basic cleanliiness and order around me. So one week from today, I will re-create that and in the meantime I hope to get to my art room and unpack and put things where they belong (though my blinds came so maybe I will first get my former neighbor over this weekend to hang them). The art room and our bedroom do have some semblance of order.

I LOVE the videos. I LOVE puppies. That is why I WILL have one more in my life before I die. I remember well how Bentley would (at 10 weeks or so) just fall asleep in the middle of us playing with him or walk away and climb into a space he liked and sleep soundly and he does have dreams at night that result in him kicking and moving about. He does not respond to touch at those times but if he hears me say, "It is ok, Bentley", he stops.

They have gone to lunch, taking the valances with them (one less task here) and I can now get to the garage door and get out of here to walk but now that they are gone, I will do my meditation (2nd for the day) first. I do feel like a major wimp. :mellow:
I say to myself...."Mary, you are three years into this journey. Get a grip." I also know that even if I did not feel raw still, this would bug me. When Bill and I renovated our first home (a two year project) we stayed at motels off and on for sanity. Of course, I am questioning the wisdom of doing this right now but I KNOW I need to make this house into a home of some sort and it had to start with getting rid of old wallpaper, and painting at least half of the house. I am not touching the walls in bedrooms, Bill's office/guest room or my office for now...

Thanks much, folks

Mary

Thank you Anne and Marty for the adorable videos!

Mary i'm looking forward to Wednesday for you. I hope you were able to get out and enjoy the sun with Bentley.

Mary, could you take Bentley to a hotel until they're done? I'm just so sorry for both of you having to endure this frustration. :(

The video on the lazy puppy is so cute! I've never seen a puppy "wait" for a toy to come to him before!

Yes, Kay, I could but it actually feels better to be here at home than in a motel. Good idea though. I see a light in the tunnel. This morning they told me the painting would be done Tuesday...possibly Wednesday for things like the louvre doors on the pantry. Then I can start putting things back as the bulk of the mess will be gone. She will do my cabinets and be done and out of here by Friday. Tomorrow a friend is putting up blinds in my art room and Monday I will go in there with Bentley and close the doors and make order in there. This friend is a former neighbor where we lived before we moved here in 09. It is a give/receive relationship..we help each other. The light is in the tunnel. I think having a shower helped a lot :) Right now it just feels good to be home and I am ignoring the mess. I do understand better, however, why it has gotten under my skin and soul...and have quit being hard on myself now that I understand. Thanks, Kay.

How is Arlie and your kitty?

Mary

post-14525-0-18517800-1367337574_thumb.j :wub:

This gull is quite smart...stole the ice cream cone right out of the man's hand. :P

post-14525-0-04821500-1367337602_thumb.j

I'm glad you'll have help putting all back in order, even if only a room or two to start.

Arlie and Kitty are both doing well, thank you! :D

So glad the critters are good.

Yes, two friends offered but a lot of it I just have to do myself, of course. And as scattered as my brain is...hard to focus...but good to know the light is clearly in the tunnel. :)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-karen-becker/pet-behavior_b_3202562.html?utm_source=Alert-blogger&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Email%2BNotifications

The ways our cats and dogs show affection. And with that I need to get off line and make order here.

Saw this on Facebook and wanted to share it. I think the poem is true of all who have died...not just our pets.

post-14525-0-54468400-1368232239_thumb.j I Stood By Your Bed Last Night

I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep. I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.
I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear, "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea, You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore. I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care. I want to reassure you, that I'm not lying there.
I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key. I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said "it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair. I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
It's possible for me to be so near you everyday. To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."

You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew, in the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.
The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."

And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide, I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see. Be patient, live your journey out ... then come home to be with me. - Author unknown

HBA - Sends a loving hug to everyone who has experienced a big loss in their heart. Much Love

Image - Unknown via Truth Beckons

Thank you Mary, that is beautiful and yes, I think true of all life that when we have taken that life expression in to our own hearts, we have shifted from separateness to Oneness with that life.

Kay, how is the kitty? Did I miss the all clear report?

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you for sharing that, Mary!

Alas, I thought Kitty was all better but after I took her off Probiotics, she got worse again, so now she's back on them again. Am not sure what's going on with her, why it's continued, she's never had this so long.

I am glad to hear that the probiotics are working, though.

That is a bit of good news.

I trust that you are observing your body, making sure you don't have any discomfort from the accident, right?

fae

I finally get a shower and got dressed to take Bentley for a walk thinking the farmers market was over...and it was. It started to rain so I take a short cut to head home. The short cut brought me right past a Bird City exhibit...a booth and a turkey vulture. The rain passed over. The booth was surrounded by a small group of people including about 8 or 10 people I know. I had no idea it was there. It is a part of the Spring Green Bird City day. Bentley did not expect the turkey vulture to move and when it did, spreading its wings when the sun came out (that is what they do to gather heat) both the bird and Bentley went a bit nuts. It is a huge vulture. So I quickly removed Bentley from the immediate area, passed him over to a friend to hold (actually my DC) and went back to look at the bird and chat with people. Some people from my art group followed and two of them asked me how my trip was and about MD report. My eyes filled up and they dropped the subject...probably thinking I did not want to cry in this crowd. It surprised me as they are pretty used to my eyes filling up suddenly and usually respond warmly. I did not feel like hanging around with a large group of people...exactly the opposite of what I had planned- so I used the opportunity to disappear telling them I would catch up with them when we do plein air Monday, thanked them for asking, and made my exit.

What I got in touch with was how fragile I feel after this trip. I knew it but thought I could be more "controlled" out there. I think Bentley will have to settle for a game of chase in the yard tomorrow so I can keep a low profile....i.e. distance from people for another day.

Mary

Benji sends kisses and lots of warm paw hugs to all of you on this Mother's Day.

Kay, Benji loves his cookies. Thank you. I, unlike Mary, did not feel lazy and I used the doggie biscuit cutter. I hope Arlie likes me, Benji, better than Bentley - NO I don't. Really I don't, Mary.

post-15704-0-34759000-1368315960_thumb.j

Benji sends kisses and lots of warm paw hugs to all of you on this Mother's Day.

Kay, Benji loves his cookies. Thank you. I, unlike Mary, did not feel lazy and I used the doggie biscuit cutter. I hope Arlie likes me, Benji, better than Bentley - NO I don't. Really I don't, Mar

Bentley to Benji- we can all play nice together and love each other. (How is that, Anne?) :wub:

Good for you. Truce.