Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Real Men Don't Cry?

MartyT

I'll have to try to remember to listen to this when I'm home...I was up past my bedtime trying to sort out a computer problem that I haven't yet resolved. :(

When my my fur baby (Bicky) passed away, I cried like a baby for weeks. Up to that point in my adult life (I was 41 years old), I had very rarely shed a tear. But there I was, blubbering like a baby...Wailing like out of scene of "Zorba the Greek".

I had never experienced raw grief like that before, and I was completely overwhelmed and consumed.

If it weren't for this website, I don't know what I would have done...

Anyway...Yes, real men cry....I am proof of that...

Mark (and Bicky)

I have seen "real men" cry, usually when something big happened...loss of a dog or divorce or something like that. I would think something was wrong if they WEREN'T affected.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't initially watch this as my grief was so over whelming after losing two dogs in two years. We, as dog or animal lovers, have to live through the pain and reach out to others with our grief, as I have. Thanks to all of you who have listened to my great pain, and helped me through this very difficult time. I believe that I am slowly getting better.

Marty!

That was a great video. Thank you for posting it. I wish we had known about grief support for pet loss when Mindy died. Mindy was a Shitzu who was Kathy's baby when I met her. She never had children of her own so MIndy was that to her. When Mindy died it was devastaing to both of us but it tore Kathy's heart apart. We were a pac. Kathy was the Alpha cause she fed us. Mindy had experienced abuse when she was a puppy and cowered when any male came around. That changed when I came into her life. I am indeed an animal person. I became dad. When I was in an accident twelve years ago, I had severe damaged to both of my legs so I spent a lot of time recovering with Mindy always on the bed next to my head. She knew dad was sick. she helped me get through it. I got to enjoy being with her for twelve years but when she died, it tore me up. I remember when we were at the vet hospital trying to save her. She was accidentally fried at the groomers when they left her in the drier cage and forgot. She lasted two months but when we were first there late at night, while in the waiting room, a young girl was being told that her dog needed an expensive operation that she could not afford. We were both so upset about Mindy at the time, that we didn't think very clearly. Months later, Kathy said, " You know, we could have helped that girl" She said that we should start a fund called Mindy's Money, and help people like that. After Kathy died, I did just that. I went to the court and got the name, and opened an account. I have helped two pets so far and hopefully can do more money permitting. I think Kathy likes that I did it.

I was also thinking about the all of the dogs who help police and bomb squads here and even in the Middle East, I was expecting that the police officer in the video was going to talk about such a dog he might have lost. If you ever look up on the internet under police dogs of 911, you won't be able to hold back the tears. The photographs of those dogs trying to help makes us realize what unconditional love really means. It's funny but when they had the Boston suspect cornered in that boat, all I was thinking about was that a dog was going to be sent in and maybe killed. People can hate...but a dog always loves you.

By the way, when Kathy died she asked me to combine her ashes with Mindy so I have both girls with me still. Kathy also wants to be in Kawaii so when I am gone I'll be with them both in the place Kathy loved the most.

Oh Stephen! What a wonderful tribute to your precious Kathy's memory, and to Mindy's as well ! Thank you so much for sharing that with all of us!

Yes, dogs are amazing creatures, and service dogs are a cut above. Did you happen to see this segment on 60 Minutes last evening?

Sniffing for Bombs: Meet America's Most Elite Dogs, http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145334n

Thank you for sharing your story of Mindy, Stephen. I think what you are doing with Mindy's Money is absolutely wonderful.

Marty, I did happen to catch the segment about the sniffing dogs on 60 Minutes and I thought it was excellent. Anne

Stephen,

I, too, am a huge animal lover...yes indeed, they are wonderful loyal companions, there by your side through everything. I think your being accepted was because Mindy knew you were an animal love and she was safe with you.

These furry loved ones never leave our hearts, no matter how much time passes. I have many memories of dogs and cats I've lost over the years, each one special in their own unique ways.

What you are doing with "Mindy's Money" is heartwarming to hear, what better legacy could you leave for Kathy and Mindy!

I had the same thought for the police dog at the Boston bombings. Recently I read in the paper about a mishap and they mentioned the person getting out but never mentioned the dog...that unanswered question haunted me...I just wanted to know how the dog was...and am afraid of the answer.

Thanks for the 60 minutes link Marty. Whenever I see a dog working, even for the blind, I look at them with love and respect. (and their handelers too.) We live in such a different world now. Isn't it funny how the most simple basic life form as a dog can do more sometimes than technology itself to keep us safepost-15848-0-95714600-1366743006_thumb.j?

I second that, she really is. I'm sorry she had to endure such trauma in her life, but she knew she was loved with the two of you, thank God she had that time with you.