Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Birthdays

On the longest day of the year, I will celebrate my dads birthday. He would have been 92. It will be the second one since he passed and it seems to be getting more emotional for me than the last one. I lost my wife one year before he went so maybe now I am just starting to really miss him. It's funny but I was born on the shortest day of the year and I always felt that meant something between the two of us. I think I will plan a special day maybe getting the heck out of this blistering heat.

He was my mentor, my hero, and my dad.

Happy birthday to your dad! I know what it's like to lose both your parents and spouse, my dad passed over 31 years ago, my husband nearly 8 years ago, and I'm losing my 91 year old mother little by little to Dementia. We really do need to enjoy people when we have them...life seems to pass so fast and we have no way of knowing when each person's time here will end.

Thinking of you today...may you have special memories as you think of him.

I guess I made it kind of confusing but my dad's birthday is actually on June 21, the longest day of the year.

Thanks for thinking of me.

I took this picture during the last "Light Up A Life" celebration. I still take care of my 94 year young step mom.

post-15848-0-02100600-1371135044_thumb.j

Thanks for clarifying that and sharing your picture. :) This is going to be an eventful week then, you have your day on the 21st and my George's bdy is tomorrow and anv of his death is the 19th. June's a tough month for me...my dad's bdy was the 10th, same as their anv.

Wow KayC, a tough month indeed. I remember sharing fathers day with Kathy's dad last year up in Alberta. I didn't have my dad that year so I didn't want him to be alone. I do cherish that visit because he passed away in October. Now he is with Kathy and her mom. They all went within a year and a half. Sad perhaps but I think they went to Hawaii together just recently.

I send you my best thoughts for the day ahead of you.

Stephen.

Thank you, Stephen. It is comforting to think that they have each other and are waiting for you when you are done here. I have many loved ones waiting for me. I think their lives are better than mine is here, but I try to do the best with what I have here.

Just thinking about my dad today. Not sure what I will do but I will toast to him and think about how he and my mom are celebrating.

Two years ago on the last birthday we spent with him, he had all three of his children with him and we went to one of his favorite restuarants. I baked him a cake that was in the shape of a WWII bomber that he flew in the war. It was my first cake but he loved it. I woke up this morning and I realized I wasn't sad at all. Perhaps he put a happy thought in my mind while I slept.

We all deserve a little happy once and again.

Enjoy the day!

Glad to hear it...it does get better with time and I know that thoughts of George bring a smile to me even though I miss him terribly.