Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Hello everyone... An Update On Shan,

Unfortunately she has developed a pneumonia infection. It came on suddenly. Drs caught it early though. She's on more iv antibiotics. Fluids. She is sleeping about 90% of the day and night. Not a good sign, but hopefully it will be healing for her. She is not eating. She is obviously very weak. The drs say this is all "in normal range" for the 30 to 60 days post-transplant. Her numbers really have not changed much. So she still needs a lot of prayers that she does not develop GVHD (graft verses host) where her body simply rejects her brother's stem cells and the healthy cells attack her system. She is already ahead of the game though because she received stem cells from her sibling and not a stranger.

Please keep her in prayers and thoughts for the infection she has and for her body accepting the process. She received blood today... a third time since the transplant.

I am hoping she sleeps through tomorrow, not only for her healing, but also that she does not have to remember it is two months since losing Leo. She is so out of it that I do not think she will even remember if she wakes.

I am still staying at her apartment so someone is here and paying bills etc... And my husband stays here with me about half the week. It is comforting for me just to be here because it is where my dear big brother lived with Shan.

I am going to create my own account here if I can figure out how :)

Have a blessed evening. And I will keep you updated.

Mary (SIL)

Dear Mary, thank you for the update on our dear Shannon. Prayers continue. How are you doing? I cannot imagine the ache in your own heart as you go through all of this. Love, Anne

Hi Anne,

Thank you for your prayers.

I just registered here so I can post on my own. I guess I have to wait for confirmation though.

I am doing as well as can be expected. Losing Leo has been very difficult for me. We lost his twin back in June '04 to the same health issues. It certainly runs in our family. I've got my own concerns as well. And our baby sister in MD does as well.

Thank you for asking. Having lost "Ziggy" (Samuel) and now Leo, is heartbreaking, however I've got to remain strong for Shan now. It is honoring my brother. It is what he wants because he can not be here with her and for her.

I am going to read and get some rest.

Blessings to you.

Mary

Dear Mary,

My best to you all. I will hold Shannon in my heart and in my mind in the days ahead.

Make sure you are taking care of yourself, as well. She needs you.

Peace,

Harry

Thank you all.

I called the hospital a bit ago and Shan woke several times during the night in a lot of pain. They raised her morphine. She's sleeping this morning. Her fever is lower. A good sign.

I have a lot to do today. Trying to keep busy.

You are in my prayers as you go about your activities today, Mary 1063. I am so glad you have registered here on this forum. As you care for Shannon you also have your own grieving to do for the loss of your twin brothers. This is a good place for you to be. We all walk with you. I'll be following your posts on the thread, 'Loss of a Sibling or Twin' as you keep us updated on Shannon. Always give her our love and prayers. Anne

Mary 1063, So glad you registered. Shannon has had so many hard knocks in life, but one of the true blessings is your family. Thank you for being there for her. I pray they can get the Pneumonia knocked down so she can recover all she is going through.

Hello Dear Mary,

You must be entirely exhausted, emotionally and physically. Are you seeing a social worker at the hospital? You need someone to hold your hand while you talk and cry, someone to comfort YOU.

I am sure your husband is dealing with pain as well. You are carrying quite a lot right now. The loss of Leo, Shannon's illness, all bringing up other losses, other illnesses in your psyche. I hope you are able to take good care of yourself, and give yourself some hours of self-care each day, even if only a couple. Just some time for you, dear heart. Maybe you could meditate.

I am so thankful you are taking time to keep us up to date, thank you. You are very kind and thoughtful. Please tell Shannon I am sending lots of *<fairy dust>* for her play with in her room, and that it is isolation approved *<fairy dust>* . Please tell her I send {{{hugs}}} and visions of Teddy Bears as well.

Blessings, Much Love and

*<twinkles>*

fae

Hi friends,

Shan is in critical condition. :(

She has no immune system to fight this pneumonia. She's on heavy iv antibiotics. She is on a ventilator to help ease the difficulty breathing. She is sleeping all day and night.

My son is the healthiest of all of us right now. So he was in her isolation room today in a "suit" and mask to talk to her even though she didn't wake. He read to her things from myself, my husband, her brother and SIL. And your posts as well. Hoping she heard. I fear she is giving up because Leo is gone.

I miss my brother. But I'm praying hard that he is in her dreams to let her know not to give up.

Mary

Our prayers are with everyone. I am so sorry to hear this. It is such a very hard time for you. Please let your family members know that we have all of you in our prayers. Anne

Shannon - and Mary and Family

I am so sorry to hear that Shannon is having such a difficult time. My best wishes are with you all. I hope that the antibiotics can fight off the infection. This is such a difficult process she is going through, sleeping may be the best thing that she can be doing right now - with all her energy focused inward on getting through this battle. It is good that your son is able to go into the room and be with her.

Thinking of you all.

Sue

My dear Shannon,

You have had battle after battle in your life, and I can only begin to understand how tired you must be and how much you want to join Leo. If you can hold on a bit longer, there will be good days ahead...it's just you can't envision it yet, but they're there. God has smiled on you with this beautiful family of Leo's, that is now your own. While each of them would surely understand your wanting to give in to the sleep, they would so appreciate your fighting the fight to be with them a little longer, until we can walk with you in this journey to rebuilding your life. I know that sounds like so much right now, but really, it's just one step at a time and we'd be there to walk with you.

Build your strength, sweet one, get better...for all of us.

Kay

My thoughts and prayers are with you, dear Shannon, as you move through this struggle with your health. May you know that you are not alone during this time. I hope that you can feel the hugs I'm sending to you. Anne

Thank you all for your continued thoughts for Shan and our family.

She is responding to antibiotics for the pneumonia, however they still have her on the ventilator to ease her breathing. There is evidence now showing in her bloodwork that her body is beginning to accept her brother's stem cells! :) This is so good. There is a long way to go and she is not out of the woods by any means, but we will take anything positive.

She is still sleeping most of the time. She is still in a good deal of pain but its still being medically managed.

Her brother and family had to fly back home to CA today, but Mark will be returning within the week. Shan is sleeping so much that we chose not to tell her he left because any agitation could be a set back.

Will keep updating. Promise you.

Mary

Thank you for the update Mary.

I am very happy to hear about the stem cell acceptance. Wonderful!

I hope you are taking care of yourself and getting enough rest, dear heart.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Such good news, Mary. I am so happy that Shannon is showing some improvement. Sleep is probably the best thing for her right now. I am glad that they are monitoring her pain. I know how very tired you must be. Please let the family know that I keep you in my prayers. Anne