Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Sweet Granddoggy, Skye

kayc

Kay, I do care and I do understand and everyone here does also. You know that. You have been in my mind and in my heart all,day. I am so glad he is buried in your yard...in his favorite spot. That is a gift I know. I remember you hoping that would be the case. I just remembered that when I visited a medium of high repute after Bill died, he said a dog greeted Bill...because he was so accurate on so much he could not know, asked no questions I k we he was right on. Skye will be waiting for you...I just know that...Skye and George. I weep for you...love, Mary

Thank you, Mary. I don't know if it's fully sunk in yet or not, it's going to be tough to get used to. It's so hard, I just wish I could hold him one more time. They brought him in a body bag, and I was able to spend some time alone with him and view his sweet head before we buried him. They drove straight here from the vet.

Thanks, me too. I have the back light on, hoping to protect from wild critters until we can get it covered in stones.

Kay, I do know as you do that longing to hold our beloved once more, be they spouse or pet. I am glad you got to sit with him for a while. When do the rocks get placed? I know it is hard to come out of the shock of loss. I am sorry about Skye. So hard to lose our fur babies. I know.

Mary with my love

My son is coming back tonight or tomorrow morning, but I go back to work tomorrow...something that fills my stomach with dread. I don't look forward to spending time with a wigged out boss that's over the edge and seeing the pile up of work on my desk. It's more dealing with the boss than the work, I can handle that no matter how busy it is. This is the worst vacation of my life, one I'll never forget. It can only go up, right?

I can't stop crying. Even Arlie can't console me. How do you get over losing the sweetest dog in the world? My DIL posted a picture of her with Skye at the beach, it just sent me into sobs. Not having a good day. :(post-914-0-61656700-1378138795_thumb.jpg

Oh, Kay...I do know the loss of a pet and even though Buffy died in 2000, I still remembered his anniversary on Aug. 17, still have his ashes which will be buried with Bill's body in his grave and I still miss him. You know we do not "get over" but when we are in such agony (not too strong a word) we want so not to feel that deep pain and loss... we don't want to see the reality of our loss and the pain means it is real. Cry your eyes out, let your pain have voice...you know that is what we must do with our losses...wail, cry, be sad...whatever you need to do. Are you alone all day? I am happy to call you if you pm your phone number...IF you wish. We are all embracing you today...and tomorrow...

Love

Mary

I would give anything for you to have a new job with insurance drop into your life....tomorrow. I am sorry you have to deal with him when you are already in such pain. Mary

Oh Kay, I'm so very sorry that you lost your grandfurbaby. I'm glad you had special time with Skye.

I lost our fur baby of 16yrs, Bones, last March. I still cry for him most days. He was truly my best friend and confidant.

My thoughts and heart go out to you. I'm so very sorry...

(((((Hugs)))))

Mary,

Thank you, I'm sorry you lost yours too. I know Skye belonged to my son, but I was as attached to him as he was, we have a lot of history and they lived with me off and on, and I've always been there to take care of him whenever my son went on a trip or worked out of state. But he was just so special, I've had a lot of dogs & cats but this one was so gentle, so happy, so sweet.

Sometimes it's so hard to believe I won't see him again...not on this side of eternity. :( I still see him in his body bag, lying there as if sleeping, except his eyes were open, I miss him so bad. It's going to be so hard to see them come for Christmas, etc., with no Skye dog trailing in with them. I feel like I've suffered a huge loss, it's hard to get over. I know some people think it's not even your dog, it's your son's, but I was so close to him and spent so much time with him, and he was so special. Honestly, this is harder than with some of the dogs I have personally owned! He was just so gentle, so guileless! I loved everything about him. When he was younger he chewed up some of my carpet...Skye, if only you could come back you could chew all of it! I miss you and love you so much, the tears keep falling.

Kay, I have been wondering about you losing Skye...not how are you because I know you are sad but just thinking about you and your loss. You know you do not "get over it"....we never do. I am sure memories are many and yes, seeing them come without him will be difficult.

Peace

Mary

Kay, my dear, I don't know which people think "it's not even your dog, it's your son's" but I hope you find a way to ignore such comments. We here all know how much you love Skye and how devoted you were to him, even to the very end. You have a right to each and every moment of whatever you feel in the wake of your loss of him. This is YOUR love, YOUR pain, YOUR loss, YOUR grief. Don't let anyone tell you how you "should" feel about this. Just tell us how you DO feel, and we will honor your sorrow.

Ahh, thanks you guys. It's still so fresh, it's hard to conceive, I keep wishing it was a bad dream...even though I knew this day was coming, even though I knew it was time, and I really did want him out of his suffering...still...I miss him. It makes me hold Arlie a little tighter, I'm glad he's such a loving dog. He knows he has to endure his hugs in the morning before I put him in his pen. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I will never get over Skye. :(post-914-0-94869800-1379820801_thumb.jpg

No, you won't, Kay. We will grieve our fur babies deaths until we meet at Rainbow Bridge. I am sorry it is hurting so much and I understand.

When the vet called me to tell me Bentley was out of the OR where he had his teeth cleaned, I saw his name on my cell and felt my heart race. The first thing I asked is whether Bentley was ok because the last thing he had said to me is he would call if he found so,etching I needed to know about. I totally forgot he would call when he was done. Just that 1 minute of panic said volumes to me about the day down the road when I will be called to say good-bye. I can guarantee you I will never "get over" that lost when it happens...just as I will never "get over" bill's death or others I have lost. I do not even want to.

What is your favorite memory of him?

Mary

So many memories! I loved watching him swim, he LOVED the water! He looked like a little alligator in it, he'd close his eyes and just SAVOR it! (Funny, I can't get Arlie near it!)

One memory is when my son lived here in town and was working for the railroad, long, long hours, and sick to boot. Skye wasn't getting any attention as Paul would come home and crash, so he was just getting very basic needs met. So I decided to stop by and take him for a walk on my way home. I opened the front door, and Skye was so excited to see me, he jumped up on me (which he never does!) and broke my eyeglasses. It was worth it. He told me a story and spun around and around, and was so tickled to death as I got him fresh water and walked him.

Another memory I have was when he was chained to a line that stretched across the yard, and although he had ample room to run and play, I wanted to make sure he had "shelter" in case of rain. So I left the nearby shed door open so he could get in and out. I came home and he had spent the day happily playing...dragging his 5 gal. bucket of water over to the door, making "mud", spreading it all over the floor, and when I got home there was literally several inches of mud all over the shed floor and Skye himself happily covered in mud. I didn't think to get a picture...we had to make a trek to the water faucet, something he didn't relish at all, before heading to his bath

One time I came home from work and my bedroom door was shut and I could hear him thrashing in there. I tried to open the door, nope, not happening. FINALLY I got the door open just enough to squeeze through and saw what the problem was. Him and Kitty had been hard at work all day, playing with my yarn, ribbon, and lace collection. They had it all over, all tangled, and it took me literally hours to save most of the ribbon and lace but the yarn had to be tossed. Kitty tried to look innocent on the bed but I knew she was in kahoots with Skye!

And one of my favorite memories was the last time I went to my DIL's parents. They don't allow dogs in the house so Skye was out in the back yard. This poor baby couldn't walk by this time, couldn't feel his paws, if he tried, he'd stumble and fall. He caught sight of me through the patio door and his face just lit up and he managed to get up and try to stumble towards me! I ran outside so he wouldn't keep trying and falling...he was so happy to see his grandma! I laid down on the grass beside him and just stroked his ears, he loved that.

And of course there was the time when Paul was working in NY for 3 1/2 months and I had Skye. Skye had been neutered but he didn't seem to realize it. There was a beautiful dog, Molly, down the street, that was in heat, and don't ask me why, but the owners turned her loose. Skye was chained up in the back yard, and howling his head off because he wanted Molly. Another neighbor called and left an irate message on my machine. Molly would literally back herself up to him just out of his reach, like she was teasing/taunting him. Poor Skye! That night I came home and took him on his walk, and Molly was still out. He tried to hump her all up and down the street, her teasing, me trying to get him to walk, and neighbors looking out the window pointing and laughing. I was mortified! I emailed my son that night and said "Everything you ever wanted to know about sex, ask your dog!" :D The neighbors STILL remember that with a grin!

Skye was "special", kind of empty headed but very happy. Sometimes he'd space out and stare at the wall or couch for hours. He had a way of not wanting to be in the middle of anything, any commotion or drama and he was out of there, he'd go behind the couch to escape the ruckus. And he was a master beggar. Him and Arlie both. Skye would position himself at the table and wait, happily smiling, looking pensive and sweet, as always. Arlie would be on the other side, looking wild eyed and unable to hold still, he'd get antsy and make his way over next to Skye. Skye didn't like having HIS territory invaded, after all that was HIS begging space! So he'd turn and curl up his lip and growl at Arlie and IMMEDIATELY go back to happy happy look! Arlie would curl up his lip and growl back and immediately return to HIS happy look! And thus it would continue. They were such a hoot to watch!

I will always cherish each memory with Skye. I know my son treasures all of the times they went camping, hiking, etc. before Skye couldn't go any more.

So many memories! I loved watching him swim, he LOVED the water! He looked like a little alligator in it, he'd close his eyes and just SAVOR it! (Funny, I can't get Arlie near it!)

One memory is when my son lived here in town and was working for the railroad, long, long hours, and sick to boot. Skye wasn't getting any attention as Paul would come home and crash, so he was just getting very basic needs met. So I decided to stop by and take him for a walk on my way home. I opened the front door, and Skye was so excited to see me, he jumped up on me (which he never does!) and broke my eyeglasses. It was worth it. He told me a story and spun around and around, and was so tickled to death as I got him fresh water and walked him. Sounds like he was so happy to see gramma...what kid isn't? :)

Another memory I have was when he was chained to a line that stretched across the yard, and although he had ample room to run and play, I wanted to make sure he had "shelter" in case of rain. So I left the nearby shed door open so he could get in and out. I came home and he had spent the day happily playing...dragging his 5 gal. bucket of water over to the door, making "mud", spreading it all over the floor, and when I got home there was literally several inches of mud all over the shed floor and Skye himself happily covered in mud. I didn't think to get a picture...we had to make a trek to the water faucet, something he didn't relish at all, before heading to his bath The look on his face must have been amazing...what fun he had..because of YOU.

One time I came home from work and my bedroom door was shut and I could hear him thrashing in there. I tried to open the door, nope, not happening. FINALLY I got the door open just enough to squeeze through and saw what the problem was. Him and Kitty had been hard at work all day, playing with my yarn, ribbon, and lace collection. They had it all over, all tangled, and it took me literally hours to save most of the ribbon and lace but the yarn had to be tossed. Kitty tried to look innocent on the bed but I knew she was in kahoots with Skye! I love this one.

And one of my favorite memories was the last time I went to my DIL's parents. They don't allow dogs in the house so Skye was out in the back yard. This poor baby couldn't walk by this time, couldn't feel his paws, if he tried, he'd stumble and fall. He caught sight of me through the patio door and his face just lit up and he managed to get up and try to stumble towards me! I ran outside so he wouldn't keep trying and falling...he was so happy to see his grandma! I laid down on the grass beside him and just stroked his ears, he loved that. You were, perhaps, the most special person in his life. And you let him in your house.

And of course there was the time when Paul was working in NY for 3 1/2 months and I had Skye. Skye had been neutered but he didn't seem to realize it. There was a beautiful dog, Molly, down the street, that was in heat, and don't ask me why, but the owners turned her loose. Skye was chained up in the back yard, and howling his head off because he wanted Molly. Another neighbor called and left an irate message on my machine. Molly would literally back herself up to him just out of his reach, like she was teasing/taunting him. Poor Skye! That night I came home and took him on his walk, and Molly was still out. He tried to hump her all up and down the street, her teasing, me trying to get him to walk, and neighbors looking out the window pointing and laughing. I was mortified! I emailed my son that night and said "Everything you ever wanted to know about sex, ask your dog!" :D The neighbors STILL remember that with a grin! Now this is an image!! Bentley, every once in a while, will try to hump my down afghan if I leave it on the floor. Or on a VERY rare occasion my foot if I am sitting with the legs crossed. I disallow that but I am laughing.

Skye was "special", kind of empty headed but very happy. Sometimes he'd space out and stare at the wall or couch for hours. He had a way of not wanting to be in the middle of anything, any commotion or drama and he was out of there, he'd go behind the couch to escape the ruckus. And he was a master beggar. Him and Arlie both. Skye would position himself at the table and wait, happily smiling, looking pensive and sweet, as always. Arlie would be on the other side, looking wild eyed and unable to hold still, he'd get antsy and make his way over next to Skye. Skye didn't like having HIS territory invaded, after all that was HIS begging space! So he'd turn and curl up his lip and growl at Arlie and IMMEDIATELY go back to happy happy look! Arlie would curl up his lip and growl back and immediately return to HIS happy look! And thus it would continue. They were such a hoot to watch! Did they get what they were begging for?

I will always cherish each memory with Skye. I know my son treasures all of the times they went camping, hiking, etc. before Skye couldn't go any more. I am sure your son misses him so much and I know you do.

Thanks for sharing these great memories. It gives me a better idea, also, of who Skye was and what he means to you. Love, mary

Ah Marty, that is the sweetest compliment!

Mary, I'm afraid I'm a sucker for dogs, hence their begging. My DIL doesn't allow Mozzy to beg, so I have to be careful when she's around, not to indulge too much...or at least have to make it look like MY idea, not theirs! :) (There's always loopholes)

Anne, thank you.

Here is for my beloved Skye, the sweetest dog that ever lived...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw