Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Sleepless Nights

I seem to be chalking up a string of sleepless nights this week...mostly unusual for me but real this week. It is just very lonely reading the posts my niece was posting this evening after the wedding rehearsal...wedding is in 12 hours and Bentley being gone to the kennel. And then there is Bill. This too shall pass...that I know for sure. So I watched the Smith Center opening in La Vegas (http://www.thesmithcenter.com) that I had taped on PBS recently. Music of every genre: classical, folk, rock, Broadway, and more over the years. These put me away.

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (a 10 on the Richter scale, this was one of our songs) Roberta did not sing tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOFrGbuUqnQ

You've got a Friend...Carole King who sang it tonight.

You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman Carole King who sang tonight

Finally from the opening itself: Take Care of This House- 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue by Leonard Bernstein

(we love/d him especially his Chichester Psalms: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRKnXuG4PKI

Translation: http://everything2.com/title/Chichester+Psalms

I know this piece inside and out.

So this is what I do when I can't sleep....music, poetry, art...until I know if I go to bed...I will sleep. You might enjoy any of these but the Chichester Psalms are the incredible...especially the boy soprano. It is now almost 2 a.m. and i leave for Chicago at 6am. This is not a pretty picture. Wide wide awake. Argh!

Thinking of you today, Mary, let us know how it goes.

I haven't been sleeping well this week either. Getting to bed later with my son here...he's gone on weekends but it seems I wake up 3-4 am...

Guest babylady

i've had sleep problems for more than 24 years. they started when i devloped CFS/ME. i tried all the natural remedies and nothing worked. i hated the idea of taking drugs, but after going without sleep for days i begged for the drugs. even with them i never slept through the night. it's rare if i sleep 3 hours straight. i'm so used to it and i don't mind as long as i can get back to sleep. sometimes i can't. i woke up at 4 am today and couldn't get back to sleep till 7 am. then i slept on and off for a few hours. at 5:30 am i took an ativan and a vicodin. yes. i suffer with pain too. i have scoliosis, osteoarthritis, herniated discs. i've had 6 epidurals which didn't work so i take the drugs. i rarely take the full prescribed amount. i told my pain doc i was worried about addiction. he told me not to worry that the amount i take is not that strong. my massage therapist has helped a lot.

i've never been a "nap" person. if i fell asleep i'd wake up "cranky", but the last few months many nights i fall asleep watching tv even before 8 pm. sometimes i can get back to sleep after washing my face and brushing my teeth, but other times i can't. i keep a lot of things recorded so there's always something to watch on tv.

sending postive thoughts to all.

arlene

Dear friends,

I wonder if there is something in the air this week? None of us are sleeping well. I know we each have good individual reasons why we are not sleeping well, but still... :)

Peace,

Harry

You may be right Harry, I feel mine stems from stress and anxiety over the production I am directing. My mind is racing each night when I try to sleep. Maybe it is something in the air....

I probably will sleep for a week after this coming weekend....

Good job on the yard sale......

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Dear friends,

I wonder if there is something in the air this week? None of us are sleeping well. I know we each have good individual reasons why we are not sleeping well, but still... :)

Peace,

Harry

I broke the chain, Harry. 11 hours Saturday night at the hotel; about 6 Sunday night but 3 this afternoon. I hope you are sleeping better. Mary

Dear friends,

My sleepless spell snapped last night as well: 11 hours. I'm still a mite tired--actually fading rapidly--and will try for another restful night myself.

HRH: There is a reason every theater person I've ever met call the week before the opening Hell Week. As director, you must be totally wired. Break a leg.

Peace,

Harry