Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Anniversary Of Dad's Departure

This was the second year of my dad's passing and I was in a quandry of what to do. It also was my wedding anniversary which I had planned to celebrate by going somewhere as Kathy and I often did. Somehow fate lent a hand. I was required to fly a bunch of artwork up to Santa Fe and I realized my sister had often spoke of going there. Our mother had gone to school there when she was a child so I thought maybe it would be nice to spend this day with my sister and next year I will do something with Kathy in spirit. I also thought my sister might have a sad day alone so I picked her up in Tucson and we celebrated Dad and Kathy together over a lovely dinner. I know the day was better for her, having done it. When I returned home Sunday night I had a quiet dinner thinking about my bride and how much I love her still.

Today I am constructing the device I will use to spread my dad's ashes over the same spot my mom had me do for her 34 years ago. My son is going to be flying the airplane while my sister and I send him off to join the love of his life at a place she felt was the most peacefull. By the way, my dad had stated in his will that he wished for me to do this. It just took two years to make it so. I don't think he minded waiting, I enjoyed having him in my home.

I should say that I don't dwell on departure days. Never a happy time. I do celebrate birthdays and such because to remember them, joy is the best place to be. I hope we can all find happiness in the memory of our parents. I know I am working at it.

Stephen

I am glad you had a pleasant time with your sister, this has to be a very poignant time of year for you. I hope all goes well in your son's planned excursion.

Last night I met my son and his family returning from a month in Japan. To see my grandchildren running to greet me is a gift that reminds me..........life comes as life departs. I know my dad and Kathy were with me that moment.

Sometimes we have to just let life go on no matter how much we wish we could change it. Life itself has a way of showing us joy, even in our sorrow.

I think I am finding a way to let life guide me. When I was first involved with my hospice counceling I read that you will one day have more happy days than sad. That one day you will discover that you laugh more than you cry. You know? I didn't think it would ever happen but I do see it now. Gee it only took three years. The thing is I know I will still have sad times but life will show me joy once and again.

Perhaps my dad put that in me. He was always happy right to the end. Thinking that about him helps me fight the demons.

Stephen