Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Gratitudes

mfh

As Thanksgiving approaches and in the midst of grief, pausing to remember that for which we are grateful is healing and uplifting. With that thought I begin this topic. A speaker on one of the webinars I watched yesterday suggested that as we put our heads on our pillows at night, we identify something for which we are grateful...but something we have never expressed gratitude for in the past. The speaker suggested that doing this leads to awareness, mindfulness, all day long as we develop a habit of watching for that one thing we have never expressed or felt gratitude for before. I believe this can include a memory of our loved one that flashes before our hearts and minds or a gift our beloveds gave us...the list is endless.

http://griefhelps.com/free-mini-videos/gratitudes/

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is a new form of gratitude for me today. It focuses on me rather than on something. As I continue on with my Physical Therapy because of the lack of flexibility I’ve been experiencing and the pain on my Left side moving down from hip to the knee I decided to look upon the discomfort of the PT sessions as something to be grateful for knowing that as I endure the pain I am allowing a healing to take place. I never thought of being grateful for pain in that way before!

Today’s gratitude on the 21 Days of Gratitude talked about annoying things in our lives. I sure looked upon PT as annoying!

I hope I become mindful of the healing going on in my body as I work through these six to eight weeks of PT! Anne

Anne, I need to chime in here and applaud you for this choice. I did a lot of PT when I tore my rotator cuff in a fall after Bill died and I know how challenging it can be, how much patience it demands, and how painful as your body heals. I admire your choice. Do let us know how the PT goes.

Peace,

Mary

Anne that is very impressive. You are truly a glass half full person (which I always knew). You are an inspiration.

I have just come back from a charity even in the nearby church for the Army Benevolent Fund. A curry supper and music. It was good though strange in a medieval church. I do know that in last times people used churches for every public occasion. Anyway it was good though I wished Pete was there (of course)

Guest babylady

Anne -- that's a great attitude. i've went through physical therapy when i broke my wrist and found it annoying.

this is a tough one. i have to think a bit more about it. i'm thankful for my doctor. saw him today. he is so kind and caring. when we couldn't find an antidepressant that worked for me he said "i'll sit here and just talk with you if that's what you want". today after discussing my health we talked about ACA. he said "i don't know what your political views are". i said "i'm a liberal democrat". he likes the president but is pissed that he didn't do a better job of making sure the website worked right. he said "we should go all the way -- universal healthcare". i said "medicare for all"? he said "yes". i said "that would solve the problem medicare is having -- young healthy people would buy into the plan". he agreed. i also mentioned some docs refusing to take medicare. i said "it's not illegal, but it's unethical -- it discriminates against older people". he agreed.

BTW. he's gay -- obviously gay, but it doesn't seem to bother his patients. i mention this because i live in a very conservative area. john was comfortable with him, but we've always had gay and lesbian friends.

after the doc i went to a restaurant john and i used to go to. this was another first for me. when i told the waitress he died she started to cry. she said he was such a soft spoken kind man. this is not the first time a food server cried when i told them. i'm thankful that people really liked john -- that he made a good impression on people.

health care providers, hairdressers, etc. are not supposed to let people know their political leanings. so now i know my doc's views. i also know my therapist's views. we actually laughed about it. i said "i got you to tell me" and the woman who does my facials said "don't tell anyone i told you, but i'm a democrat". i have a way about me that allows people to tell their personal feelings. i guess i should be thankful for that too. i probably would have made a good therapist. i had considered it at one time.

arlene

This is a great thread.

I love how we are all supporting Anne through her PT.

Go! Anne!

I am entirely grateful that I am starting to cook again. Today, after work, I made the chocolate mousse a la Julia Child, substituting coconut oil for the butter. It is chilling now, as it must chill overnight. But of course I HAD to try it, and it is delicious. A complicated, many-bowl recipe, with lots of hand-whisking over a bain-marie, but the results have been deliciously worth it when I have enjoyed it at others' homes. And now I can make it Dairy Free! I am so delighted!

All one must do is replace the butter with coconut oil, and enjoy! I am so looking forward to tomorrow so I can share it with a couple of friends. :)

I am grateful today that I am home, feeling safe, able to enjoy cooking again, and that I also have a new recipe for kitcherie to try tomorrow, and also a pear butter recipe. It is good that I am exercising and doing PT, because otherwise I'd gain ten pounds from my own cooking. Truly, one incentive to be active is so I can eat what I cook. :)

I was outside this evening, and while I was praying in the kiva, more Tundra Swans flew over the house. I am blessed to live in nature out here. I am actually looking forward to snow. :)

I am also very blessed to have Mary back among us, sharing her own stories as a wonderful and wise way to get healthy examples before us for our own grieving process.

Thank you Mary. :wub:

*<twinkles>*

fae

I posted my gratefulness already in talking heals thread.

Anne, you are truly an inspiration to us. I know PT is not fun and the pain is gain thought, so I appreciate your gratefulness for it!

fae, your chocolate mousse sounds wonderful. Good things are happening as you also grieve. I thank you for your welcome...and I, too, am grateful to be here in this sacred circle with people who are courageous and yes, who are allowing themselves to choose vulnerability by sharing openly with each other. I see great courage here and as Brene Brown said: You can't get to courage without going through vulnerability....or an older version "In my weakness is my strength" one of my favorite Bible quotes.

Brown: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/12/brene-brown-vulnerability_n_3909420.html

Guest babylady

fae -- it's great that you're cooking. i haven't cooked in years. when i did i made healthy meals. i used to bake too. made healthy blueberry muffins -- whole wheat pastry flour, small amount of maple syrup, egg whites and applesauce instead of oil. made great oat bran muffins too. i'd make a dozen and freeze them and take one out for breakfast. i could take any recipe and make it healthy. then my health went downhill. i wish i could regain the strength to make them again.

your mouse sounds wonderful.

arlene

Dear Arlene,

One good thing now is that it is pretty easy to get really healthy baked goods from the health food stores. I hope you can find some things you like that you can eat. I know how hard it can be to not be able to cook much. I am really just getting enoungh energy again to stand in the kitchen for long enough to make something like a mousse.

I hope if you can still ear them that you can find some delicious healthy muffins. :) You sound like a true muffin lover. At any rate, I hope you are enjoying healthy foods.

*<twinkles>*

fae

And in keeping with the spirit of this thread, isn't it wonderful that we have so many healthy food choices these days? I am sprouting broccoli sprouts to eat, starting a new batch every 4 days or so. I got them for Doug , but I have more than a quart of little seeds left, and they will be great this winter.

Guest babylady

i found a few things, but you have to be careful and read the labels. sometimes i'm shocked at what i find in the health food section.

i buy a lot of smart ones and lean cuisine dinners. they have some desserts too.

a few years before john got sick he lost 40 lbs. by following weight watchers. every night he ate a lean cuisine dinner. he also loved weight watchers ice cream pops.

i've been disappointed with the fresh muffins in whole foods. when i read the ingredients i found them to not be very healthy.

i used to make weight watchers soup which is really good. it's made with fat free chicken broth, carrots, zuccini, cabbage and green beans. when my mom used to stay with me (before dementia) i used to ask her to make it for me because she loved to cook. for some reason when she made it, it tasted even better. must have been the love she added.

unfortunately i only like vegetables if there in chicken broth or stir fried at the chinese restaurants.

i'm a very picky eater. i don't eat cheese except for mozzarella and not much of that. trader joe's has some small round individual pizzas that i keep in the freezer.

the last few years my taste buds have changed. things that i used to love turn me off. that happened to my mom as she got older.

today i went to logan's road house. had a 6 oz filet mignon, baked potato and broccoli. i enjoyed the steak but the potato didn't taste the way i remembered it and i forced down the broccoli.

First Anne, let me say I do understand how painful PT can be. Having had two total knee replacements, and a rotator cuff surgery, I am living proof that PT WORKS!! I knew I had to work through the pain to get to the other side, and today my knees are great, and also my shoulder. You will get there my friend, I know you will do it.

I ran into a friend that I had not seen in some time at the grocery store yesterday. He and I worked together at Rock Tenn company for years. He has lost a lot of weight, and looked very different, he indicated he had been ill, but we did not go into particulars. Years ago he had by pass surgery, so I am assuming that his illness has to do with his heart. He said to me, after we hugged, you look so happy. And I realized that I am happy, I have a pretty full life that I am grateful for, and while I miss Mike everyday, I have managed to grab onto happy. I am very grateful for that! Not that I don't have bad days, I do, but according to Joe I was radiating happiness. No particular reason, just happy in general.

Arlene, I don't cook much, only when I am having company. I love the Atkins frozen meals, and as I am doing low carb most of the time, they work pretty good for me. I also like the carb balance fajitas, using them for a wrap with sliced turkey, provolone, and lettuce, makes a great sandwich, and fast. I always eat eggs for breakfast for protein. That is about the most cooking I usually do. I cooked for years, for my children, and then for Mike, I consider myself retired from it, unless I am having company. Although, Fae, your chocolate mousse a la Julia Child does sound great....might have to try that, if you care to share the recipe. Chocolate is my weakness, and is good for you!! (that is my story, and I am sticking to it)

My biggest gratitude is for this place to come to, and the life friends I feel I have made here, with people who understand my pain, and share it, as I share theirs. Grateful for Marty, and all that she has done for us, including saving our forum, and bringing our Mary in as a moderator. Very grateful for our Mary, she has quieted my fears so much about the cataract surgery, and is a wonderful voice of calmness and wisdom.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Hmmm, I LOVE Chocolate Mousse! Yummm...

QMary, I just want you to know that my mind and heart will be in AK on Monday as you have your first surgery. I hope when it is over you will have the same thought I had on my way back from OR...i.e. I don't even remember it and when I did start to become aware at the end, I didn't care what they were doing to me.

I would suggest that you put dog food up high as you can't bend for a week or so. I put it on a kitchen chair and I got a raised feeder for Bentley so I did not have to put the food bowl on the floor. Also look around to things that are on the floor that you might want to raise up like shoes on the closet floor, laptop or something you might want to wear or use in the coming week.

And be sure there is chocolate ice cream in the freezer for your arrival home. :wub: Seriously, I hold you in the light as you prepare and as you go through these days. You will, most likely be surprised at how clearly you can see. I remember sitting in my newly painted living room between surgeries and seeing with the eye that needed surgery the color I picked out and with the eye that had gotten surgery, the real color. Luckily they were both ok but different. I picked a color with more yellow in it.

Peace to your heart,

Mary

Oh Mary, I thank you so much for all your support. On a lighter note, pull your heart and mind away from AK on Monday and send to AR. LOL You have been such an inspiration to me on this journey for my eyes, and I WILL have choc. ice cream in freezer. Thanks for posting the recipe Fae, I will have to try it....

Oh, QMary, of course...my mind must have been on that mousse of fae's and I think AK when I think of her, even though I know she is in Montana. I am switching gears and sending my heart and mine to Arkansas. :wub:

By the way, fae, when Julia said the word "ambrosia" in reference to chocolate on this video, it reminded me that we have our own chocolatier here in WI, Gail Ambrosius. My friend sells her chocolate at her tea house just 2 blocks from my front door...and they are phenomenal...and pricey but worth every penny for a treat from time to time. It seems she might have been destined to make chocolates with a name like that....i.e. food of the gods.

Oh my Fae, what a wonderful recipe link. I am now so very hungry for that chocolate mousse!!! I love watching and listening to Julia Child. She was one of a kind. My Mike did an impersonation of her in a play, called NunCrackers, he was Sister Julia Child of God, and did a cooking segment...he did her voice perfectly. I have a picture somewhere with him in costume for that.

HRH QMary, in AR . . .

... up from from the midst and steam mist of ironing the sheets and pillowcases for the guest room bed, and onward with much laundry, I send

*<twinkles>* for dear Julia, Child of G*d, if ever there was one, and I love the wonderful photo of Mike in costume with his fairy wand. So cute, thank you!

I know you are going to be fine on Monday, and I will be tossing *<fairy dust>* your way for the procedure. You will feel it tickle your nose a tiny bit. :)

*<twinkles>*

fae

must get the house done before the mousse tasters arrive. :) It could have been lighter: I did not beat the whites quite long enough, and no doubt folded them a bit too vigorously in the cutting actions. But, it is wonderfully delicious. Back to dusting.

Guest babylady

Queeniemary -- i cooked for years too. started in '60 when i married my first husband. i had never cooked before and would call my mom or my grandma and ask how to make something. it came easily to me and i actually enjoyed it. liked baking too. my mom was a great baker.

i didn't cook much when i was divorced (1967-1970). my grandma took care of my son while i worked and most times he ate dinner there. i got into the habit of eating a hot meal lunch time and a sandwich at night. when i met john i started cooking and baking again. in the early 80s i became aware of health and stopped cooking certain things. i was actually a vegetarian for a short period of time.

i never got into the atkins diet. john tried it once and only made it for 1/2 a day. he loved his carbs and so do i. i do okay with carbs. some people don't.

i'm at the point now where i enjoy a home cooked meal. occasionally my neighbor sends over dinner especially when her husband makes pot roast. he makes the best i've ever had.

in a little while i'm going out to get some chinese food -- chicken and vegetables over rice. i feel like that's healthy. the place i go to doesn't use much oil or salt. there was a time a few years ago when i ate there 3-4 times a week. john loved their food too and if i went alone i would bring a meal home for him. the only problem is the distance. it's 26 miles round trip. at one time it didn't seem like a big deal but now it is.

i hope one day to regain enough strength to cook and bake again. i'm taking things one day at a time.

i will be sending positive thoughts to you on monday.

arlene