Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Gratitudes

mfh

These ideas on expressing gratitude came in my email today from Zen Psychiatry, a site I belong to. In my opinion, we can not be happy if we do not become aware of the gifts in our lives as well as the deep pain we all experience in our loss/es.

Here are a few ways you can incorporate a regular gratitude practice into your daily routine:

1. Keep a gratitude journal. Every night, write a list of 10 things you’re thankful for. Or, every morning, write down one thing you’re thankful for, trying not to repeat anything you’ve written before.

2. Say grace. Before meals, say 3 things you’re grateful for.

3. Share an evening gratitude ritual. Create a ritual where you identify what you’re thankful for before bed.

4. Get a “gratitude buddy.” When something nice happens during your day (no matter how small – think “driver let me change lanes in traffic” or “found $5 in jeans pocket”) send an email or text to your buddy. As an added bonus, you’ll get to experience the joy of hearing all about your friend’s good fortune, too. (this site is a good place to share those)

5. Practice being thankful for things you take for granted. Write a list of 5 things you take for granted (heat, water, air, etc. ).

6. Share your thanks with the people you appreciate. Choose a few people who have positively impacted your life (maybe your parents, or teachers, or mentors) and send them hand-written thank-you cards.

7. Go for a gratitude walk. Take a stroll and take note of all the positive things you come across, like the crisp air, the smell of flowers, your comfortable shoes, etc.

8. Turn your morning cup of coffee or tea into an opportunity to practice gratitude. Instead of sipping away while reading the paper or thinking about other things, pay attention to the experience mindfully. Focus on the smell, taste, and texture, and notice the small aspects of drinking your coffee or tea that you appreciate.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images