Grief Healing Discussion Groups

North Sea Floods

Dear friends I live on the edge of the North Sea in Kilnsea! Yorkshire. Last night we had the worst storm surge since the floods of 1953. Our village has been badly hit. I suspect out of the 28 properties three quarters have water inside. The fields are flooded with salt water. I am fine. Our house is a bit away from the sea and river Humber on a minuscule hill. I don't think anyone has been injured and I know everyone has rallied round. I'm going to take dog for a walk soon to see the damage.

This was forecast but we didn't expect it to be so bad. In 1953 thousands died along the east coast but now flood defences and warnings are better. But it is still life changing for those affected.

Just thought I'd let you know, Jan

And of course I feel this harder without my beloved Pete by my side

I am sorry to hear about the flooding around you, Jan, but grateful that you are alright and did not have to evacuate. Please be careful when you wander out and do keep us updated. Yes, I can imagine how very difficult it is for you to go through all this without your Pete. Anne

Dear Jan, I am so thankful you are safe along with your neighbors and animals and that your house is on a minuscule hill. Stay warm and dry.

Peace,

Mary

Thanks Anne and Mary. I've waded through water standing in the road in two places in my wellies to reach the sea. The walk is about a mile and a half, though as the crow flies it's half a mile. Kelbi although a spaniel (water dog surely) didn't like the water but I guess it wS cold. It froze last night here on top of our other problems. I'm warm and dry but several of my neighbours had the waters of either the sea or the river Humber in their downstairs. Living as we do on a peninsula we get floods from both sides. But when Pete and I bought our beloved cottage we knew it should be safe and so it has proved to be so far. It's been a strange day, walking around, talking to neighbours, seeing the flood damage. But we are a true community here and everyone helped each other. Being alone now I felt cherished when so many people took the trouble to ring me up to check I was ok. There is one more high tide but we hope that the tidal surge has gone and it shouldn't be a problem. But you never know.

Jan, so very glad you are safe, but very sorry many of your neighbors had damage. Will keep you in my thoughts. It is marvelous how people do pull together after something like this.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Dear Jan,

I am so happy to hear that you are safe and dry, but I know this must be a terrible blow to the entire community to face this disaster, especially when it has caused such wide-spread flooding for so many.

How wise of you two to pick a house on a little hill. I will be thinking of you snug and dry and warm, and also out helping the neighbors in the village. Please let us know how you are doing and remember to rest, rest, rest, dear one, as you are only beginning to get enough rest to heal and grow stronger. Surely you should stay home this weekend and rest, should you not, now with the storm and flooding and all that going on around you?

*<twinkles>*

fae

I know it is difficult to go through floods and other crises without Pete there to share the feelings and to help make the house safe. Enjoy your grands.

Mary

Dear Jan,

Thank you. I hope you have a wonderful visit and that you find some time to rest while away. I will be very happy when you are home and being gently self-caring as you rest and heal much more.

Namaste

fae

Jan, I'm so glad you are safe and your house warm and dry. I hope your neighbors have some way to pump the water out of their houses so it can begin drying out. Keep safe!

The local authority and the fire brigade have been here pumping but most of the water had receded leaving sludge and mess (though don't know what last nights tide did). Those on Fb will have seen some of the pictures I posted about the loss of access to my beloved spurn peninsula. Everything has changed in that area (for the worst) and I wonder whether I shall ever get down to the tip of the Point again. Sad. Just heard that sheep died on the peninsula which saddens me. I love this place next to family. But we will cope. Thanks for sympathy.

Jan,

So sorry to hear of the tragedy that has struck your village & neighbors. I'm glad no one was injured, but sorry to hear of the poor sheep. I know it will be a mess to clean up. Glad you are safe & warm.

Thinking of you,

Karen

Jan, I am so sad for your loss. I know your village and home means so very much to you with its comfort, familiarity and safety to say nothing of the memories of you and Pete and all the energy you have given to its history. I am glad you are safe as well as your neighbors but the loss of sheep is so sad and their deaths were probably tough one for the sheep.

I hope your weekend is renewing and restful even though two toddlers will tax that energy level. Be peaceful, Mary

Jan, my heart goes out to you, I know what it is to love your home/community, because that's how I feel about here, I am so sorry for the changes and destruction, and those poor sheep! If your daughter, grandchildren are still able to come this weekend, I hope it is an enjoyable renewing time for you. Hugs!

Social media has allowed me to keep in touch with what is going on (I'm in Leeds until Tuesday) but it's really devastating to hear about the havoc the sea did. Compared to other parts of the world I know it's nothing. No lives lost apart from a flock of sheep. But our lives have been changed because our landscape has been wrecked. I wrote a book about Spurn and Kilnsea, 1800 to 2000 and I need a new chapter. But Pete was so closely involved with all my writing it's hard to embark on anything without him.

My normal bedtime at home is 9.30 or earlier. Tonight after a day with attending children's parties (two for Rainie and Ellie, one for all of us) I couldn't get into my blow up bed in the living room until 11.30. I'm longing to be home, though it's lovely to be with the littlies. I need to find our what is going on. I don't know if our storm surge got mentioned in the US and considering the ferocity of your weather I understand why not. But for us it's been mega. I so wish Pete were here. He would be so supportive and also interested as of course it is interesting.

The loss of access to the famous Spurn peninsula is interesting and also a breach may affect shipping channels in the long term and have many repercussions. Anyway I long to be home. It's where I'm closest to my Pete. You all know this feeling.

Jan, I don't know if it was on the US news, but my son was aware of it when I mentioned your post to him. He may have seen it on the BBC channel which he watches. Also, my grandson communicates with a girl in London who may have mentioned it. I think I saw an article which said your government may provide funding for cleanup. I hope that it is so.

Glad you are enjoying your visit, but understand your need to get back home.

Karen

Jan, you've been through so much the last few days, I understand your wanting to be home. I know how it feels to love your surroundings, and if my landscape, this place that I love, were altered drastically, it would feel devastating to me too.

I don't think I've read it in the news but then I'm behind in my newspapers and need to catch up. Usually they do report things all around the world, I'm sure it's there somewhere.

Jan, I haven't read anything about it yet.

I can partly imagine the devastation. The Illinois River flooded surprisingly high one year, and took out several of our archaeology labs, library, mess hall and bath house. It was a horrible time for all of us. I am so sorry that your village and area are have been through such a terrible disaster. I do hope you can find a way to get more rest when you get home.

Yes, being here in our house is still the place that feels most "at home" for me, too.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you for posting that, Jan. I did a search with the names of the area, flood, etc. and nothing came up for our area newspaper. Did the national news syndicate carry it?

My heartfelt sorrow for all of the people there, it will take some time to get used to the changes.

Dear Jan,

Thank you for the link. I looked at all the photos in the sightings section as well. Terrible devastation! All those caravans sitting awry, and the standing water. I am so sorry you are returning to this sadness and all the changes in the landscape. I hope you will be able to rest and stay inside in a warm place, and not need to be out very much for a few days, but just let your body heal and recover from your lovely time, which is still tiring, as we know.

Take care of yourself, and I hope the situation is not too upsetting for you when you arrive home.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Thank you for the Internet link, dear Jan. I am so sorry for all the damage in your beloved Kilnsea and Spurn. I am so glad you are up higher even though it does not make it easier for others who have damage. Keep us posted.

Anne

Thanks all. I'm home. Kelbi and I went for a walk to the sea, punctuated by chats to many people. I think we are all a bit traumatised. No human lives were lost but 34 Hebridean sheep were drowned on Spurn Point and it appears that planning could have prevented it. My going on the parish council a week ago seems very bad timing! There will be many meetings about this. In fact there is one tonight about 8 miles away but I could not face going after only getting back from Leeds a few hours earlier. It was a very full on weekend with the littlies (when is it not) but all the hugs and kisses and I love you Grandma make up for the tiredness. Next stop Christmas. Oh Heck!