Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Honoring Our Vulnerability

On this Christmas Day, here around our fire, here among our Tribe, I wanted to say "Thank You" to each of you who have honored my vulnerability, consoled my grief, articulated my anger, shown me new perspectives on dark clouds, and for so much loving compassion.

I think one of the greatest values I find here is that no matter where we are in our journey, our sense of vulnerability at being on this path is always honored, and no matter where our emotional storms carry us, we are honored for our willingness to make the journey, to not turn off and numb out, but to go on, even if somedays that is merely resting for the next pitch. :).

It has been a day of wonderful memories, opening gifts, crying, more memories, floods of memories of Doug's smiles, and of course the accompanying floods of tears, but mostly joyful gratitude, more than painful sorrow. I am wonderfully blessed. Thank you for giving me this fire where my grief is not a cause for discomfort to others.

This Fire is a very wonderful Gift this season, and I am entirely grateful we have been welcome here. Your warm hearts and caring presence, each of you, has meant a lot to me. Thank you. I would not be feeling as cleared as I am had it not been for the wisdom and stories shared here.

Blessings, peace, and wonderful memories for us all this day.

*<twinkles>*

fae

Fae I feel the same. I know when I come on here and share my feelings that somehow people will know what I'm saying, will respond on a loving and caring way, and I will go away feeling better. I don't know how it has happened that we are blessed here. Xmas day has passed here in England and it is 12.22 am. We had a day which was good, and it ended in a good way when our daughter just said to me how bitter sweet it was. And it was so much the right statement at the right time. We went to bed after good hugs and tears and I felt so loved by her and so grateful to have her and her two little ones. They truly keep me afloat.

This fire of comfort provided by our forum is so important to me. Fae, you know you can share your grief here, as we all know. Good night and I hope we can all find some peace despite our sadness.

fae and Jan,

I do so like the title you gave this topic. Honoring vulnerability is no easy task and yet you both do it well. Being able to be vulnerable as everyone here is able to do is such an incredible gift. I am in awe of the willingness people here have to take risks and share pain and lessons hard learned. I am honored to be part of this circle and truly learn so much every single time I log on.

May this coming week be one of continued insight and growing peace,

Mary

After I posted above, I started through a "pile" of email and Brene Brown's blog was in this lineup. One thing I recall from one of the many interviews I have watched/listened to with Brene is that she said: "To get to courage, you have to go through vulnerability.." That seems to fit in this topic. And is so very true.

Today she wrote: I first wrote about the holiday gremlins a couple of years ago. As I read the old post earlier this week I realized that it’s still 100% true for me (and I needed the reminder) so I thought I’d share it with y’all: This time of year can be a perfectionism minefield. My expectations always need radical reality-checking and that normally comes in the form of a total meltdown. The good news is that I often have a lot more fun on the backside of my breakdown when I start letting go and leaning into the crazy. As I think about my own life and reflect upon what many of the people around me are going through this Christmas, it’s clear that struggle doesn’t take off for the holidays. The gremlins don’t go on vacation. Checks bounce, chemotherapy appointments are scheduled, relationships keep unraveling, being alone feels even lonelier, and the “never enoughs” are in full swing. As I prepare to spend the next few days with my family and friends, I’ve decided to find my holiday magic in the mess; to practice love and gratitude with the special group of folks who keep showing up and loving me, not despite my vulnerabilities, but because of them.

I wish you a blessed mess and a Wholehearted 2014!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brene Brown is the author of Daring Greatly and here are some links to her TED talks on vulnerability.

http://www.ted.com/search?cat=ss_all&q=brene+brown

Oh, Mary, that is just spot-on! Thank you.

Namaste

fae

So glad, fae. Sleep peacefully after this huge holi(y)day.

Mary

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=negative-emotions-key-well-being&page=2

Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being

Feeling sad, mad, critical or otherwise awful? Surprise: negative emotions are essential for mental health

By Tori Rodriguez

After I posted above, I started through a "pile" of email and Brene Brown's blog was in this lineup. One thing I recall from one of the many interviews I have watched/listened to with Brene is that she said: "To get to courage, you have to go through vulnerability.." That seems to fit in this topic. And is so very true.

Today she wrote: I first wrote about the holiday gremlins a couple of years ago. As I read the old post earlier this week I realized that it’s still 100% true for me (and I needed the reminder) so I thought I’d share it with y’all: This time of year can be a perfectionism minefield. My expectations always need radical reality-checking and that normally comes in the form of a total meltdown. The good news is that I often have a lot more fun on the backside of my breakdown when I start letting go and leaning into the crazy. As I think about my own life and reflect upon what many of the people around me are going through this Christmas, it’s clear that struggle doesn’t take off for the holidays. The gremlins don’t go on vacation. Checks bounce, chemotherapy appointments are scheduled, relationships keep unraveling, being alone feels even lonelier, and the “never enoughs” are in full swing. As I prepare to spend the next few days with my family and friends, I’ve decided to find my holiday magic in the mess; to practice love and gratitude with the special group of folks who keep showing up and loving me, not despite my vulnerabilities, but because of them.

I wish you a blessed mess and a Wholehearted 2014!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brene Brown is the author of Daring Greatly and here are some links to her TED talks on vulnerability.

http://www.ted.com/search?cat=ss_all&q=brene+brown

That IS what it is all about. Keeping positive focus forefront even in the "stuff" of life.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=negative-emotions-key-well-being&page=2

Negative Emotions Are Key to Well-Being

Feeling sad, mad, critical or otherwise awful? Surprise: negative emotions are essential for mental health

By Tori Rodriguez

So true!