Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Leo's Gift To Shannon :(

I'm posting this here because most of you know of my brother Leo and his wife Shannon. And Leo had my husband help him purchase something for Shan at the end of his battle... To be given to her with a letter when The Lord took him from her. We never gave it to her following his passing. She was in her own battle for life. It just didn't seem a priority at the time... Saving her life was. I regret that "unintentional forgetfulness" regarding this blessed gift from Leo. I think those here who knew Shan, knew of their immense love and devotion for each other. Well, since Shan passed I have had this gift to her from Leo and never wanted to open it. I finally did tonight. Read his letter to her which was short but absolutely pure devoted love. And the gift is the pic I have included, which doesn't do it justice when seen in person. The story behind it, is at the time of their marriage, Leo could only afford very cheap sterling silver wedding bands. (No diamond ring). So this is 10 carat white gold with a 1/2 carat diamond ring with band including diamonds in the band. The pic doesn't do it justice. I am so very sorry we never gave this to her following his death. It just slipped my mind... I just wanted to get her to survive. My heart is breaking because had Butch or I thought clearer then maybe giving this gift from Leo would have kept her here. If she heard the letter he wrote to her, I think it would have given her hope to survive. :(

Shame on me? For being selfish...

Just wanted to share this with those of you who knew Shannon and her love with my brother.

I think maybe y'all can imagine what he wrote in the letter. But I really can't convey that right now for it is just pure honorable devotion and selfless love and its overwhelming me. If you knew my brother, you'd know he was not the kind for heart felt expression. But this speaks his heart.

I'm glad they are together eternally now. Just sad...

post-16477-0-87297900-1388901663_thumb.j

Oh dear Mary, thank you for sharing this message with us. The ring is beautiful and I'm sure the letter was also. I do not think you were selfish at all. You were focused on your Shannon at the time and your desire for her to pull through her illness. It is always easier for us to look back and wonder "what if" but we know we can't live that way. You did all you could to help her in her struggle with her illness and that is all that can be expected. We know how very much you loved her and wanted her to get better.

Yes, I believe that Shannon and Leo and your brother, Ziggy are all together with her mom and others who have passed before us.

I hope you are healing and doing better. You are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I think of Shannon often and what a beautiful person she was. I know she knows you did all you could to help her pull through. Bless you.

Anne

Oh dear sweet Mary, the ring is beautiful, and I'm sure the letter is also. Shannon is aware of the ring...and also doesn't need it where she is...she has what she needs, she has Leo himself. I hope you will keep this ring always as a special reminder of what a wonderful man and devoted husband your Leo was...and is.

Your priority at the time was saving Shannon, and you aren't to be faulted for that. My gosh, Mary, you're only human, and you took on hurculeon duties! You've been so sick yourself, yet you were there for Shannon all this time, and Leo too. I think both of them have nothing but gratitude for you!

All of us find ourselves wishing we'd done this or that better/differently, but the truth is, we did the best we could at the time. Death is hard at best. At least it is for those left living.

I hope you continue to heal and mend yourself, we continue to pray for you.

Hang in there,

Kay

Oh Mary, please do not beat yourself up, your primary objective was Shannon's health, and no one, least of all Shannon would fault you for that. As Kay said, she knows about it now. You took such good care of everyone, and I know they are blessing you now because of it.

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas

Mary dear, you gave far more to Shannon (and your brothers) than that ring. I totally understand your regret that you were not able to give Shannon the ring and note. I know I would feel the same way.... but you gave so very much to her. You wore yourself to sickness taking care of Shannon...no one could ask more. Shannon is with your brother now and is perfectly happy...I mean perfectly...a happiness we can't possibly know here. Thank you for sharing the picture and the story with us. Peace, Mary

I couldn't agree more with what others have said already, Mary. Beautiful as it is, what you gave to Shannon is far more valuable than that gold ring, and she and your brothers are happier now than any of us can imagine. Take comfort in that, and let it be enough.

Mary, as much as I love George and my wedding bands, they were custom made for us with infinity signs on them and inscribed inside with "thru all time", they mean nothing compared to just being held by him one more time. Shannon is at last in Leo's arms, and that is the best place in the world for her to be...she IS at her happiest now, and the only thing that could make it better for her is the day when ALL of her family is together, and that will happen soon enough. This time here on earth is so brief compared to the eternity we get together later. :)

Dear Mary,

All I can do is reiterate what has already been said.

You gave Shannon so much love and care, and I know it meant a lot more to here than any token, and she is with Leo now, So all is well and you have done all you can.

I hope you are feeling better, and recovering your own health and enjoyment of life.

Peace to your heart, dear Mary, and some {{{hugs}}} and

*<twinkles>*

fae

• 4 weeks later...

Dear Mary,

It's beautiful. But forgive yourself. Your attention was where it needed to be--and where she needed it to be. There is no greater gift you could have given her than that.

Be well.

Peace,

Harry